If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Silly geographical comments (or whatever you'd call this)

Comments

• But it's the allies who have dolphins, Russians have krakens.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Only in the comics, sadly.

I actually have a quote where a Russian general is like "Yes, we have military dolphins, we don't hide that."

I remember thinking at the time it was incredibly odd.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Next time a dolphin appears in fiction, I expect it to chain-smoke low-quality cigarettes, drink vodka, speak vith Russian oksent and wear a tyelnyashka. Now that'd be something I haven't yet seen in animation.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Meanwhile in New Guinea: Smugglers' plane crashes after takeoff due to being overloaded with drugs.
    Planes should never do coke.
    Meanwhile in Poland:
    Aggressive turtle spotted by tourist, reptile still at large

It's this one.
    Meanwhile in Poland: the Ombudsman for Children's Rights has spoken that sex education is wrong because the LGBT Ideology leads sex educators to snatch children and forcibly change their sex, and that he knows of at least one case in a city he called by name, yet for some reason he did not provide any further details and the local law enforcement is adamant nothing of this sort ever happened there, meaning he had not reported the crime either.

But hey, at least he's not Cultural Marxist.
    I think there are a lot of good arguments against sex education outside of biology classes, but this one is a load of hogwash. I wonder if it's because the good ones only seem to occur to people after stuff starts going sideways.

Or maybe it's because lifelong traditionalist conservatives in countries like Poland are basically like lifelong liberals left-wingers in Western countries; they haven't ever been too confronted with what the other side really thinks and don't wish to check, so they just make dumb stuff up so they end up claiming that Tinky Winky is hyper-gay.
    leads sex educators to snatch children and forcibly change their sex

This thing with the sex educators being obvious boogeymen is one of the biggest issues. I mean of course I don't think this is the sort of guy who will try to understand the concepts of consent, societal pressure, self-image, and so on, and trying to explain that sort of thing will take longer than "The LGBTs are coming for your kids!"

Which I mean, everybody told me this was a slippery slope argument but it keeps turning out not to be, but not in the way he describes here because no college-educated progressive is dumb enough to resort to "force" as a first resort.

By the way I have a feeling that Poland has no surgeons carrying out sex-reassignment gender-reassignment dysphoria-alleviation surgeries? And even if the do, they probably don't operate on minors? I mean, if anything that'd be a great way to get sued.
    at least he's not Cultural Marxist.

*nodnod*
    Also, the Ministry of Justice forbade the publishing of a paper on the prevention of sexual abuse of children within the Catholic Church (i.e. what are the strategies the Church undertakes for this purpose) in a quarterly financed by the Ministry, citing it as christianophobic. The fun part is that the paper's author works for a rather well-reputed Jesuit-run university, which apparently makes it a case of self-hate.

The same minister also had the Fund to Help the Victims of Crime (a ministry-operated fund of a rather self-evident purpose) deliver some 15 million USD to neither of the several already proven charities, but to a newly founded one set up by an exorcist notorious for exorcizing the demon of vegetarianism out of a woman with a slice of salceson, and for claiming to receive hate text-messages from Old Scratch himself (IIRC he said the Deceiver's phone number was 666, appropriately enough).

But hey, at least he's not Courteous Post-Hegelian.

(Also, after the story hit the news, the Ministry declared that the ban, "after investigation into the circumstances of the issue", is cancelled. Does it mean the minister is a little bit more Marxist now?)
    Ah, I was actually going to respond to this but got sidetracked.
    citing it as christianophobic

The problem is, these sorts of claims have to gain cultural traction, and to generalize; no matter the general population of Poland, I doubt that anybody is concerned about christophobia, and the mere fact that it draws on terms like homophobia creates a black hole of self-owning hypocrisy.
    exorcizing the demon of vegetarianism

This is just sad.
    for claiming to receive hate text-messages from Old Scratch himself

I don't even know how you can honestly claim this but going by what I know of modern Christianity I don't doubt it happened.

I'm mostly surprised it happened in a Catholic institution, but like, they invented "exorcism" in the first place so I really shouldn't.
  • At least the demon of vegetarianism won't eat you or drink your blood.
    Would a vegetarian agree to feasting on souls?
    Meanwhile in France: man tries to kill a fly, blows up house
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Meanwhile in Poland: a 40 year-old man desires to taste death cap, ends up in a hospital

A forty year-old mushroom picker had a decidedly unusual idea to try the taste of a death cap (Amanita phalloides), one of the deadliest mushroom species. The man claims to be an experienced mushroom picker and to have done so on purpose, to compare the taste to the popular parasol mushroom (Macrolepiota procera). Soon after he started having symptoms that led him to a hospital, where he received gastric lavage. It turned out that he wasn't that experienced after all - the mushroom he ate was actually the panther cap (Amanita pantherina), which while still dangerous is much less deadly (it also looks nothing like the death cap in my opinion).

The man's ignorance actually saved his life (well, that and the doctors, but this was one of the doctors' opinion). Death cap poisoning gives no symptoms until your liver is pretty much ruined - you don't feel it, don't vomit or nothing, so by the time you are ill enough to drag yourself to a hospital, you better hope somebody has a liver to spare. Also, while this is obviously not this man's problem, the death cap looks very similar to certain edible species, and according to the survivors' opinion it's even actually quite tasty, so you don't know what you ate until it's time for a transplant. It beats me why people feel comfortable picking mushrooms that might just turn out to be one of the deadliest mushrooms around, but they do it. You can call it Polish fugu, I guess.

Here's a link if you want to run it through Google Translate: https://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/wiadomosci/7,114883,26322985,lodz-40-latek-chcial-sprawdzic-smak-muchomora-sromotnikowego.html

By the way, two thirds of the comments under the article are complaints that the stock photo illustrating the article is actually fly agaric (Amanita muscaria).

Tl;dr Polish man judged too stupid for Darwin Prize
  • edited 2020-09-26 03:15:46
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixora_coccinea

why is Suriname's national flower a popular ornamental in South Florida

Because it's pretty and can grow here, I guess.

I mean, it's not that far away, but still.
  • edited 2020-09-26 11:03:32
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    These "Offending Religious Feelings" laws never help.

Why does Wikipedia seem to think "LGBT ideology" is not a real thing when it's just another way to say "Queer Studies"? It's not even pejorative.
    I dunno. Why don't they say "Queer Studies" when harping on about "LGBT ideology" or "gender ideology"?
    Presumably that's because it's legitimizing it as a field of real study (which it's not) rather than a belief system that's quite separate from reality.

But overall stuff like this;
    The project, among other things, explores a supposed connection between LGBT ideology and the Frankfurt School.

Isn't a false claim, it's easily traceable via Wikipedia itself.

Though technically this also means that setting up the project was a dumb idea in the first place.

But like, I don't expect reactionary Polish politicians to understand these things that are frankly nonsense, they just hear about stuff like this and (rightly) freak out and then (stupidly) overreact, since it's all they seem to know how to do.
    Meanwhile in 2020: Japanese murder hornets' nest found in continental USA

My favourite reaction to the news posted on twitter was "NUKE IT". All caps, no interpunction. Maximum expression in minimal number of letters, innit?

Also I forgot we've had politics in here, didn't remember feeling vaguely insulted and shizzle. I guess in the meantime I haven't read anything ridiculous enough to post in here and let that slip away.
    didn't remember feeling vaguely insulted and shizzle.

I'll choose to err on the safe side and just ask if this is about something I said?
    Eh. Given your opinions, I don't know whether you called our politicians stupid because you thought it'd make me happier, or because we have them particularly dumb in comparison to politicians from elsewhere. You know, I can't just assume you meant what they say and how they act is stupid since that'd be contrary to what you mean on other occasions. But that's not for this thread.

Overally, Polish Man's been rather quiet recently. While the politicians kept their typical level, nothing so far's been worthy of mentioning here.
    Well, Polish Man got COVID-19, continued posting on internet forum.
  • edited 2020-10-27 12:00:52
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    ^ actually lol'd at that

edit: turns out we might've had an above-average case of weird political stuff, after all - a minister, rather incompetent but a die-hard Party loyalist, was given an award "for his role in economic development" by a foundation set up by die-hard Party supporters, financed by state-owned industries, which respond to the ministry he heads. But this sounds more like a politics thread thing.
    I don't know whether you called our politicians stupid because you thought it'd make me happier, or because we have them particularly dumb in comparison to politicians from elsewhere

well all politicians are stupid

I just meant there's a way to go about this issue and it's certainly not what they did.

Actually by the way wasn't there like a storm in a teacup about the whole "Joe Biden called the Polish government totalitarian at the second debate" thing (at the very least the Biden campaign then had to put out a fix-it tweet later on).
    Yeah, there was. Ackchually incorrect if understood the way you say, but most of us went like *nodnod*.
    i think there are many layers to this story
  • edited 2020-10-31 17:29:54
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Meanwhile, in Florida: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/captive-black-leopard-mauls-man-florida-zoo/
    A 50-year-old man has filed a lawsuit after wildlife officials say he was mauled by a captive black leopard in a backyard animal enclosure in South Florida. Dwight Turner paid $150 for a "full contact experience" with the black leopard, which allowed him to "play with it, rub its belly and take pictures," WPLG reported.

A report by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission says the incident happened Aug. 31 in Davie, which is near Fort Lauderdale. The agency charged the owner with allowing full contact with an extremely dangerous animal and was cited for maintaining captive wildlife in an unsafe condition.

WPLG reports that Turner is now suing the owner of the leopard.
    I have questions and I don't think they will be answered.