If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• I can't read one of those "this 10 minites video taught me more than all those years in school/university" Youtube comments without thinking that the poster spent those years sleeping in class, ignoring assignments, etc.
    Besides that, air conditioning issues #4824: Compressor shuts off after something like 10 minutes after it's turned on (outdoor fan stays running).
    I think it's related to an earlier issue: for the last few weeks after turning off the air conditioner over a power fluctuation I'd have to keep it off for a good while (30-60 mins) for the compressor to start running as the air conditioner is turned on, so I suspect the problem is with the compressor's capacitor.
    On the other hand I think the more recent issue is happening only during the day, which would suggest it could be shutting off automatically due to overheating, which would be terrible. OTOH Power fluctuations occur more commonly during the afternoon, which could also explain it being an electrical issue (probably a coincidence, but both times it happened it was right before a power fluctuation).
    Both fans seem fine, air filter, evaporator coils and condenser coils seem clean, evaporator coils and tube that runs between console and outdoor unit aren't frosted, I think it's not cooling as quickly as it used to but I can't trust my senses not to play tricks on me.
    I wonder if I'm being overly optimistic by still using it, if it's an issue with the compressor's capacitor then it's not a big deal. It doesn't seem to be a refrigerant issue, but if it is then I shouldn't use it anymore until getting it fixed.
    It occurs to me that it'd be useful to have pressure gauges installed on air conditioners.
    After writing all the above I realized I still hadn't tried the thing about seeing how the outdoor unit reacts to being turned on: the fan gets up to speed more or less as fast as I'd expect from any random fan, it takes a bit more than that (I'd say 15-20 seconds after startup) for the compressor to reach its steady state, going by the sound at least. This other air conditioner's compressor reaches it pretty much immediately, so I figure the problem is with the capacitor.
    IIRC on this unit the compressor capacitor is the front one, which is a good thing because the outdoor unit is set up in such a way that it's impossible to take a look into its back part (I have no idea how technicians manage to work with that). If I feel daring I can try and replace it myself, I think I know how but I've never done it, also I don't have a capacitance meter so I still wouldn't be certain that I should change it.
    Speaking of which, the other day I learned that air conditioner capacitors are supposed to last several years, possibly decades. Yeah, between power issues and low quality, that doesn't happen here.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    You want me to delete one of your duplicate posts?
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    one of those "this 10 minites video taught me more than all those years in school/university" Youtube comments without thinking that the poster spent those years sleeping in class, ignoring assignments, etc.

Yeah I've always found that weird. I find that I learn much more from a purposefully educational text than anything else because like, duh.
  • You want me to delete one of your duplicate posts?
    Oh yes please.
    done
    I find that I learn much more from a purposefully educational text than anything else

Sort of going from this; I need to stop doing business analysis first thing in the morning.
    I feel like there hasn't been much free talk about random things lately but I think this happens every time there's no slow-moving bomb in the politics thread.
    Sort of going from this; I need to stop doing business analysis first thing in the morning.

In continuing with this conversation with myself about myself, I thought deep anime analysis would be at least as fun as toy/market analysis but it really isn't.

It just feels like an excess of work because there are no new things for me to discover properly as I've already thought it all out.
  • edited 2020-09-26 06:27:10
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I've thought a few times about making some sort of blog/vlog/etc. about anime opinions but I don't think I would be consistent enough with posting stuff since I watch anime slowly and I have misgivings about letting it become too much of a social thing for me.

Besides, I don't follow seasonals, so I would have a very small audience.
  • edited 2020-09-26 05:19:58
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    What's wrong with a small, dedicated audience? //guys who need an audience at all
    politics blog about anime opinions

GMH I can handle your politics as an individual but if you start Anime The Mary Sue we certainly can no longer be friends.

Ah I almost forgot! I was watching the new season of Superstore when Garrett mentions he has an Evangelion sticker on his locker and I actually thought "yeesh man keep your power levels at home".
  • I've definitely been less active here. I've been spending less time in front of a desktop, let alone one connected to the 'net, so that's why.
  • edited 2020-09-26 06:34:15
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Is it bad that I had to look up what The Mary Sue is? I mean I remember the name being a thing on TVT as a trope name and maybe as the name of a commentary series, but I never actually looked up what it was lol, much less partook of whatever its content was.

Anyhow I just realized that I miswrote my post by saying "politics blog/vlog/etc. about anime opinions", because I actually just meant "blog/vlog/etc. about anime opinions", without the politics part. (Except when I find it relevant, which actually isn't often.)

(I've fixed that in my post now.)

And I do in fact mean a blog/vlog/etc. about anime opinions, not including politics, because for example recently the dub of Bofuri restarted and I wanted to talk about that again in my speculation of what circumstances would lead to an MMORPG being designed like that and also how much I'd actually enjoy a game so seemingly richly laden with random Easter eggs that have gameplay significance despite the fact that such a design would be kinda horrible in real life.

Anyhow with such a blog I'd probably still annoy you but in a different way, because I'd be looking at every story from a perspective that often ignores things like metacontext, popular sentiment, genre/trope trends, and so on. It'd really just be me talking about my own opinions on things. But I watch so slowly that I wouldn't have much content to post. That, and the fact that I take very irregular breaks from anime.
    Why not just go for it? So far around here we've done a lot of projects and it's always fun for new stuff to pop up.
    Is it bad that I had to look up what The Mary Sue is?

No it's immensely good.
    Kinda wanted something that's standalone rather than on here.

And obviously that'd be the case if it were a vlog.

But I have few such plans actually made, so I basically just post wherever at this point. Sometimes I post stuff here, sometimes on Anime-Planet's forum, sometimes on MAL's forum, sometimes on MAL's blog feature, sometimes on maybe a choice of one to four or so Discord servers where I actually might chat about anime.
    Kinda wanted something that's standalone rather than on here.

Well I meant you could link to it here whenever you started it up.
    Yeah, I'd do that.

Though that requires me to decide to set something up.
    As far as blogging goes I know of LiveJournal (which still notifies me of your birthday lol) but then basically everything else requires me to set up my own stuff which is like more commitment than I mean to for something like this.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Talking about LiveJournal.

Some ten years ago, in Writer's Block section on TVT forums, there was a thread about writing combat. In there, there was a link to a blog of some Indonesian nerd explaining military theory, L-Clausewitz. Turns out it's back, now on WordPress: https://sillynewsboy.wordpress.com/. Well, I'm glad, the dude wrote quite interestingly and it was a pity to see it dead. Thankfully it was a temporary thing.
    This is one of those things that makes me glad I'm more inclined to extremely unrealistic fight scenes.

But this seems like quite the fun read anyways so thanks for the link!

You know despite paying attention to LEGO people on the internet for ages there always seems to be yet another acronym that I have never heard of. This time it's CCBS; the Character and Creature Building System. The official name for non-System* series like Bionicle and Hero Factory.

*System being typical LEGO bricks.

I can't believe it's already been 10 years since Hero Factory came out. I used to have all the veteran and rookie Heroes from the first series, and I even listened to the 10m podcast every week.

Even weirder; I remember the first Ninjago sets being in store a couple of months later! With the cards and extra weapons and blister packaging for goodness sakes.

I should try to chart chart the exact time I stopped caring about LEGO between this time I'm referring to and reboot LEGO Friends...
    Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!
  • Aww, Argentine comic artist Quino has passed away.
    Reading Mafalda now is a whole new level of the you-didn't-understand-this-as-a-kid-but-now-you-do sensation.
    That's unfortunate.
    Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

I found out about the Korean name for this very recently but I've already forgotten it.
  • For the first time I heard IRL (at a grocery store) the four-note announcement sound, like on train station info or when a body has been discovered. I also don't think I've heard that sound outside some Japanese context until now.
  • edited 2020-10-04 14:48:54
    Edit: What's with me double-posting lately.
    Yeah I don't think I've ever heard that IRL.
    or when a body has been discovered.

I think that's just in Danganronpa.
    This sounds like a 00s Bones mecha anime villain.
    Abstract Halloween go!
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    How do you disguise Lenin as Chinese? Make him wear that conical straw hat?
    i have no idea but i think that painting has three small faces with squinty eyes...but i don't know how those are Lenin either.