If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2020-11-20 04:17:21
    Sometimes I feel like I should pay a visit to my faculty, if only so my professors don't forget I exist. I wonder how awkward it'd be if I just went there randomly.
    Pretty much all the networking I've done has been by accident, like, happening to know someone who knows someone who's into something that relates to something I do, and them making the connection without me prompting it.
    The other day I saw this explanation of Gödel's first incompleteness theorem and I thought it was cool, it helped me demystify the whole thing.
    Also IJBM: People who say "infamous" when they mean "famous".
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I wonder how awkward it'd be if I just went there randomly.

Tapping back into the networking skills thing; things are only awkward if you think they are. Whether or not you project this energy outward is another thing entirely that depends on any cues are read and if you luck out everybody will think nothing of it.

As long as you don't come off desperate it'll probably be fine. In my personal experience, professors seem to be desperate to see former students, as if to confirm they aren't just wasting their lives teaching thankless credential-hounding monsters.
  • edited 2020-11-24 13:23:40
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    For old times sake I happened upon two Playmobil Boys Series 18 figures and grabbed them. The first one I got was a rocker guy!

He looks like the sort who plays black metal and cuts chicken's throats as performance art.

I like that his bald head easily alternates to "old aging rocker".

The other was just a typical pilot guy.
  • to confirm they aren't just wasting their lives teaching thankless credential-hounding monsters.
    It'd probably be better if I don't visit them then.
    (Not so much credential-hounding monster but I'm certainly not someone who's made good use of the credentials I did get.)
  • My mother damaged the microwave oven by having it work for too long at a time. I suspect it's one the two thermal cut-offs, I'll test it when I have the chance.
    While disassemblying it I noticed the other thermal cut-off is short-circuited with a soldered wire. Being generous I'd believe the guy who fixed it ages ago didn't replace it for the sake of time/convenience in addition to fixing the main board, as he claimed. Being less generous I'd believe he just did a hack job while claiming he had the main board fixed. *shrug*
    Speaking of damaged stuff, my UPS just failed to prevent my PC from shutting off during a brownout. I've sometimes mistakenly believed it's started bloating, but looking at it right now it really does look kind of bloated. It's been over a year since I bought it so maybe it doesn't have much more to live?
    IJBM: Things aren't indestructible.
    Things slowly breaking is one of the most annoying things about electronics.

Things quickly breaking is worse but less common.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Just in case role-playing is your thing, there's a free pdf sourcebook till end of weekend. I tend to hoard anything that's free on principle and we post about that sort of stuff in Video Game thread, so I figure it's only fair I let you know.

https://dragonturtlegamesstore.com/collections/all
  • edited 2020-11-30 12:41:33
    It seems that I'm going to keep this job for way longer than I thought.
    ...I kinda want to get fired so I can stay at home doing whatever.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Don't lose your spirit. With some luck, you will stay at home doing whatever while officially working, as part of anti-epidemic measures.
  • I gotta say I had it easy earlier this year when the lockdown was in full effect, but with it being relaxed and the boss finding out ways to make us do stuff, those days are gone.
    Besides that, TIL the rest of the world doesn't have the non-dark chocolate Oreos we have in Venezuela.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ...what are they made of instead?
  • Chocolate.
    From what little I've read, it's not from Dutch cocoa but some other (local?) variety.
    I can't think of any Oreo that doesn't use the dark chocolate aside from the golden ones.

Personally I think the biscuits tend to override weaker flavors (like the birthday cake Orea mainly just smells like vanilla icing).
    I was just thinking, TierZoo refers to food as "loot", which struck me as a little odd since "loot" isn't something required for living the way food is.

But then, on the other hand:
    * People do pick up loot (consume food) and then discard less-desired though possibly still valuable loot (food that they cannot use, which may in some cases be useful to other organisms).
    * A continual supply of new loot (or the promise thereof) is one thing that seems to keep players coming back to a game. This is essentially analogous to in-game survival.
    Tried to read an introduction to relativistic fluid mechanics, see how relativistic effects relate to fluid motion. Understood exactly nothing. Would feel bad man if I didn't kinda expect this outcome; it's more like "yeah, I knew I suck" so I don't feel particularly bothered.
  • edited 2020-12-05 06:32:41
    (Edit: Classical, obviously) Fluid mechanics is one of those things I feel I should re-study, given that I've never used the Navier-Stokes equations or worked with tensors I think we missed stuff that's studied elsewhere.
    The other is dynamics, which for us was more like high-school except super-fast (and super-hard). I want to be able to do stuff like demonstrate the theory behind the bicycle wheel thing on command.
  • edited 2020-12-05 05:15:22
    I got distracted a lot this year, but I did try to keep up with goings on in financial policy and treatments for a millisecond.

I think I'll start trying to keep up now rather that saying "Next year I'll...".

I also have several books I've been meaning to read but again, distracted.

Plus I still want to try and learn Japanese, Afrikaans, possibly revise some French from high school, etc etc

With Japanese it's funny because somehow I do have a decent rudimentary understanding of a lot of random concepts but then in terms of actual full understanding of even 70% of simple concepts I end up with something along the lines of [わかりませーん].

There's so much I wanted to do this year but I guess the only solution is to do it starting now.

I did surprise myself with Blender though. At least that's one actually useful skill?
  • Let's see, this year...
    • I practiced quite a bit of 日本語, and I feel I've gotten much better at making out what's being said, I suppose all that passive input has had its effects.
    • Same goes for French except I don't think I practiced that much.
    • I didn't practice that much 3DCG as I should've, but I did practice and I do feel I improved as a result.
    • I don't feel I advanced at all in drawing, but not due to a lack of trying, I still think that's the reason I had that shoulder ache for IIRC weeks.
    • I did a bunch of programming stuff, but I'm not sure I'd say I got anywhere (no programs done or new concepts put to practice). I think I'm lacking direction in that regard.
    • I didn't get fired, so that's good. I also saved a nice sum that I'm going to need once I do get fired, whatever it is I end up doing. Anyday now...
    • I didn't follow online courses despite having had chances to do so, I suppose that's one thing I can improve on, especially noticeable since it's the year much of the world was forced to do so.
    • I got into Danganronpa (well, that was late last year, but still). It may seem weird that I list a videogame here but I think it's a good thing that I have something more to dive into.
    • I also reintroduced myself to MtG, though that's probably not a positive thing since I've spend lots of time just looking whatever up for no good reason, time that could've been spent elsewhere.
    • I know there were times I could've put more effort into stuff, and other times were daily life drained me out so that I shouldn't feel guilty about not doing something. I'm not sure to which extent I'd say I made good use of this year.
    I thought about coming up with something like new year's resolutions but maybe I should just tell myself to do better each day?
    I didn't get fired, so that's good.

Always great.
    I know there were times I could've put more effort into stuff

Just... always.

Man now I feel like doing a more comprehensive post but I feel like the majority of it would just be berating myself for getting so distracted.
    Well I'm done with my giant project.

(I don't really have much to say in response to your recent post in the politics thread though. Sorry. =P)
    fluid mechanics
    I once posted everything I remember about fluid mech on HH.

https://heapershangout.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/1011407/#Comment_1011407
    Next year I'll
    *posts a YTPMV in the videos thread*
  • edited 2020-12-05 16:27:20
    This year...
    • I finally got over whatever was preventing me from working in Blender
    • I took on a lot more at work and was given more responsibility as a result
    • I wasted a lot of my time being distracted by things that won't really do me good in the long term or help me improve my skills
    • Having said this, I think my recall, analytical and research skills are much sharper than they used to be so that's like a marginal secret skill I improved via inconvenient means
    • I watched Pretty Rhythm Dear My Future! Finally! Now I all I have to do is finish Aurora Dream and I'll have seen all of Pretty Rhythm
    • Related to distractions and anime; I managed to unscrew up a year where I only watched two anime in Spring by picking up slightly more than intended in Summer and Fall, though frankly I've said to myself that my limit should be four and I haven't met that since I was under it by two
    • I wrote all danged 56,000 words of Girl_2. I've actually been thinking about how much re-editing the ending needs and maybe shifting my protagonist's ages into YA territory, but by George I danged did it.
    • I came up with some really good ideas, like Bust=The=Mind and Infinite LIVE!!
    • Built some really good stuff in Mega Construx, I don't know if I should be proud of this after just talking about distractions
    • I did not read nearly as much as I should have. Okay, actually I did! I read twitter and Vox and other articles. I should have read books. I should be more embarrassed about twitter than I am. Next year should have 95% less twitter in it.
    • I did that thing where I minimal internet-ed for 10 days! I'll try to build on that next year at some point. Possibly with even stricter limits.
    • Finally kicked LEGO Friends though
    maybe i'll look over the anime i watched this year
  • I wonder what it says about me that I only learned from the internet about something that happened very close to home (while I wasn't at home).
    Speaking of which, someone threw an explosive at a tyre shop very close to home, right next to one of the technicians there (he survived), apparently out of an act of extortion.
    ^ Ugh.
    Had a very Florida evening today.

Took pictures of various flora and fauna in a local park, went too late in the day so I got mosquito-bitten all over, then grabbed Cuban food on the way back home.
  • edited 2020-12-06 06:48:09
    Nobody got naked in the middle of a CostCo so this doesn't sound very Florida at all.
    apparently out of an act of extortion.

Man, that's terrible.
    >comes to IJBM to post story about KFC Meme The Movie
    >ends up researching Australian jobs market
    GMH and I need to stop setting ideological fires.

It's never all that fun to deal with them.
    it's like Earthbound, but instead, the Abstract Art is fighting the Abstract Art.
  • edited 2020-12-10 19:48:13
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I wanted to start a thread called "GMH randomly posts a verse from the Bible every so often" but then in planning such a thread I am now thinking of the following:
    * I should append to the thread title "(not necessarily SFW)"
    * I should not only specify the Christian Bible but also the edition because different editions may number/divide chapters and verses differently
    * I should decide whether I'm randomizing based on verse, or randomizing based on book then chapter then verse
    * this is a thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_Testament_verses_not_included_in_modern_English_translations

Amusingly this would be easier if I instead did this for the Book of Mormon or something.