If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• ^^^, ^^, ^ Mind you, I was too far (asleep in my room) to be in any real danger, I didn't even know what happened until hearing about it.
    I recently realized that Python 3 is preinstalled on old-but-repurposed Linux Mint machine, and today I figured out how to save and run .py files on it. Apparently the built-in text editor, xed, already does Python-based format highlighting.
    I bet you're feeling like getting into programming, aren't you?
  • edited 2020-08-13 20:17:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I printed out this book years ago but haven't yet done much with it: https://inventwithpython.com/invent4thed/

in fact it seems i printed out the 2nd edition
  • Looks interesting. If you get around to follow it and have questions I can help with it.
    It's been a while since I've followed a tutorial on anything, I feel like I could use some 'on-rails' learning but then between not knowing which one to follow and the hurdle of starting, I end up doing nothing.
  • edited 2020-08-15 04:10:25
    I have an unexplained ~27 extra GB of storage in my drive. Maybe Windows Update is being merciful to me?
    TIL* chimpanzees swear.
    Also that the 'Terrible' in the appropriately named 'Ivan the Terrible' is a mistranslation and instead is something more like 'fearsome' or 'formidable'.
    * Well, the day that just ended.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Don't know Russian enough to speak out on it, but Polish name can be translated as "the Dangerous".
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    So maybe "Ivan the Terrifying" would have been more apt?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    As in, one who causes terror in others. Sounds quite apt.
  • I spent my whole day watching YouTube videos. I don't feel I wasted too much time though, I "got that out of the way" and won't be so bothered about YouTube recommendations I haven't watched yet, and still did more or less what I would've done on a normal day. Still, perhaps one of these days I should just unplug the ethernet cable.
    I also learned about Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu, AKA Taumata.
    Also I can't find my keys.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I "got that out of the way" and won't be so bothered about YouTube recommendations I haven't watched yet

Back in the days of like, 7 months ago when I was a dedicated Mega Construx builder, I used to get through a lot of podcasts in one sitting. I haven't really been able to get the time since, not even for shorter things. I constantly have to cull my YT Watch Later.
  • edited 2020-08-18 02:13:08
    It occurs to me that I've never used YouTube's Watch Later feature, not counting those times I've clicked it by accident.
    Still, perhaps one of these days I should just unplug the ethernet cable.
    That was quick, this old router is acting up and apparently having a local connection made it not work, I had to disconnect it for a while. It seems to be working okayish now, tho.
    For the past several days I've been having another one of those episodes when I smell cigar smoke for no good reason.
    Also, keys get!
    It occurs to me that I've never used YouTube's Watch Later feature

I use it probably every time I'm on YouTube. I always minimize the amount of time spent on the home page, so I'll usually check subscriptions, and from there I'll add stuff to my Watch Later. That's usually where recommended videos go too if I think I might want to watch them.
  • On the topic of places with long names.
    Also, I learned that my ISP increased the download speed of my service to 50 Mbps:
    The worst part of free access to e-books of any sort is being aware you'll never read as many as you squirrel away on your hard drive.
    I think one of the weirdest things about keeping things on a computer is how badly you misjudge ever using them at all, and so you just keep getting more and more.
    Follow this simple trick to improve efficiency!

DO NOT GO ON IJBM FIRST THING IN THE MORNING.
    I think one of the weirdest things about keeping things on a computer is how badly you misjudge ever using them at all, and so you just keep getting more and more.

buying games from digital stores, in a nutshell
    I have not significantly "left" the site in about three hours now.
    I have not significantly "left" the site in about three hours now.
    You and me, hoss.
  • edited 2020-08-22 16:44:12
    I think books have a higher "commitment to sit down and consume" requirement that I don't think I'll be reading soon, not if I don't regain my self-discipline. I haven't kept reading Imagined Communities for a while now. Same goes for online university courses.
    I'm definitely letting YouTube take over my free time again, a week ago I said something that my time there was well spent, but that didn't last long. Hypothesis: I'm less likely to let that happen if I browse it using my phone only.
    Internet lockdown is go!
    Edit: I missed the word "higher" there.
    I'm less likely to let that happen if I browse it using my phone only.

If I use YouTube on my phone I am two seconds away from using twitter on my phone and that never ends well. I find using my phone makes me less aware of the time.
  • I find that I spend a lot of time looking for stuff for the sake of finding it, which is a good cause of me wasting my time. If I'm on phone since they're not as good for multitasking I'm more likely to actually end up watching/reading what I find.
    use NewPipe instead of YouTube :D
  • edited 2020-08-23 02:58:10
    i dun geddit, if I use NewPipe I'll end up hoarding downloaded videos instead of watching them (I still have >150 GB worth of videos downloaded at work over the last year). I guess not using YouTube's algorithm may help, but maybe not.
    Speaking of which, I've been wondering if I should use the term "algorithm" to refer to implementations of an algorithm like everybody does or if I should fight against the tragedy known as language drift.
    Edit: What the hell happened to my diction?
    Holy crap you download videos more than I do. I think I'm only at like maybe 30 gigs of archived videos.

Also that was more of a response to fourteenwings, though in retrospect, I'm not sure why using NewPipe would put more distance between the user and the Twitter app.
    I have a stockpile of science handbooks and technical manuals.

Also, there's been a science fair under the motto of "science in the future, future in science". By implication, your future. Holy shit, this is some dark humour. But you've gotta pull in the marks somehow. Poor kids. Future in science my ass. Yeah.
  • edited 2020-08-23 03:49:52
    ^ Sounds like you needed to get that out of your chest.
    I have a stockpile of drawing and programming books. I've followed the majority of the drawing ones though I haven't found them very useful. I haven't read/followed a few of the programming ones and they've been useful but eh, commitments.
    Oh, speaking of drawing, I haven't felt the back/shoulder pain in a while, I think it's gone for good. I still feel something, but it's not painful.
    ^^ What can I say, I spent the majority of my idle time just setting up downloads so I could have stuff to watch at home, also I understand that every file is important and will be needed in the future so one must never delete anything.
    I have a stockpile of science handbooks and technical manuals.

I'm starting to think I need to rethink how loose I am with physical attachment to things. I mean, it's mainly in response to seeing my grandmother's light hoarding tendencies but maybe I need to hold on to more things.

I used to have a lot of books, but I donated all of them because I'd probably read at least 70% and for the rest I was probably just kidding myself. I mean, it's nice having the full set of Bleach and Rave Master manga but why not have some other person find joy in it now?

I do still have the 10 last volumes of Bleach because I never finished reading it and I really should.

This makes it sound like I had a lot of manga but most of it was just Bleach. The rest of the books were YA like PLL and such.
    I wonder how many Polish words I know. Typing these without the proper letter markings because I don't know how.

* z
    * mazurka (mazurky?)
    * dumky?
    * krakowiak
    * polonaise that sounds like a French version of the word rather than the word itself so it probably shouldn't count
    * Polski
    * zloty?
    * kurwa

I feel like I know more but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

That's is still better than Finnish:
    * terveisin
    * kaksoispiste
    * viiva
    * dee
    * is Ylilauta a word or just a name?
  • edited 2020-08-25 17:05:59
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    * z
    * mazurka (mazurky?)
    * dumky?
    * krakowiak
    * polonaise that sounds like a French version of the word rather than the word itself so it probably shouldn't count
    * Polski
    * zloty?
    * kurwa

Three four ("dumka" would be an Ukrainian folk song or something like that, but it's close enough) of these are musical terms, but I know you enough not to ask how it happened. Also, "mazurka" would be considered in improper grammatical form, but the international version is spelled this way for some reason.

"Polonez" (phonetic spelling of the word) means two three things: a musical form, a related dance form, and a classic Commie-era car. So if you have one, you're either fond of Chopin, or still driving that 30+ year-old piece of junk inherited from dear old grandpa.

My Finnish consists pretty much of "kaksoispiste" and "perkele". My Chinese (I don't even know which dialects) consists of "cao ni ma", that "shi" can among many other things mean a lion, and a few other things like these. Probably not enough to maintain a conversation.
  • edited 2020-08-25 18:41:04
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    "cao ni ma" (a vulgar expression) and "shi" (meaning a variety of things based on tonal inflection, hence this poem) are both from the Mandarin dialect. You've probably also heard of other common Mandarin expressions like "ni hao" ("you good", or more relevantly, "welcome"), "xie xie" (or apparently spelled "xièxie" in proper Pinyin) ("thank you"), and "tsai jien" (or "zàijiàn", "goodbye").

For that matter "Pinyin" means "match sound", and it refers to a system of transliterating Mandarin into Roman letters. Compare "Jyutping", which basically means "Yue match", which refers to a system of translating Cantonese (a member of the Yue family of dialects) into Roman letters (and numbers, technically, which indicate tonal inflection). "Ping" or "pin" (depending on the dialect) is one word (of a few) meaning "matching".

In case you're wondering why Chinese sounds so weird relative to English when transliterated word for word, it's because (1) Chinese has no verb conjugations or noun declensions (or it only has plurals, which are formed by adding an additional word), and (2) Chinese is fond of repurposing words for other parts of speech, which actually works really well when you don't have to worry about word forms and word endings, but sounds weird in any language that does have those features. Chinese is kinda a diametric opposite to Latin in this regard -- whereas word order is relatively unimportant in Latin but every noun/verb gets declined/conjugated to hell and back, word order is very important in Chinese.