If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2020-07-20 15:09:13
    I can always attempt to change the lens cover but I won't try unless I happen to find one readily available.
    As for my back, well, now it's more like my shoulder joint. I think I'm going to need medical attention.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Oh my.

Well, good luck with your shoulder in any case, and your lens cover to a somewhat lesser extent.
  • Thanks, I'll see how I go about getting it checked if it doesn't go away (which sometimes it seems like it will but then it comes back).
    Anyhows, there was another earthquake, small and barely perceptible but still unusual here.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    There are some people who are very lively in conversation, chattering away with their thoughts on whatever they hear, but inevitably (even if inadvertently) bending the conversation toward topics of their own personal interest, and not minding that the topic of the conversation changes, unless they personally dislike the change.
  • edited 2020-07-24 22:29:55
    Ha! Ha! I'm using the internet!
    My brother in a rush agreed to get the internet plan I talked about. I had serious doubts about it but the deal is done. I was wrong about the speed, it's 10 Mbps rather than the 20 Mbps I thought it was, which is still an order of magnitude more than I've experienced before. I've heard good things about its reliability and customer service and turns out they opened an office two blocks away from home. On the downside, I had to connect to a post from a different block, which meant ~30 meters of fiber cable more than I was alloted, and having it pass under a tree that could damage it (and if trimmed, whoever trims it could damage the cable), also a car stepped on the cable like four times. But the biggest downside is that it takes money to purchase goods and services.
    Regardless it's been working fine so far, except on my desktop for some reason, there's a problem between* the isp and what I assume is the optical network terminal. That's when using phones as adapters, I can't test right now with a wired connection or with an actual adapter, though I suspect it's a setting somewhere. Most of what I wanted to do with the 'net requires my desktop (like a year worth of updates) so I gotta sort this out.
    Anyhows, I gotta make good use of this, use it to be more productive and not let it distract me as it tends to do.
    .* One of the most important things I've learned since back then is the wonders of tracert, gosh why did all those troubleshooting videos not tell me about that one.
    use it to be more productive and not let it distract me

Yesterday I turned on autoplay on Vevo and lost 43 minutes to former teen heartthrobs singing about sleeping with random strangers in Ubers.
  • Yeh, I'm not off to a good start, 2 hours of "why am I still here" time on Reddit while I still had lots to do.
    Also whoah, I click something and it opens super fast. I kinda want to see what it's like to try an online game (the ones that don't lie/cheat about latency anyways) to see what it's like to play with <100 ms latency).
    I've been watching anime all night while waiting for progress bars on folder/file comparisons in order to back up my data.
    I remember about ten years ago when my connection went from "I hope this 100mb MediaFire download goes through (est. time, 17m)" to "I CAN DOWNLOAD THE WHOLE INTERNET IN SECONDS MUAHAHAHAHA".

I wonder how 5G will be when that becomes a prominent thing...
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I am worried about 5G meteorogical effects
  • edited 2020-07-25 16:19:03
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > 17 minute download

I think I learned early on the technique of setting something in motion then walking away (literally or figuratively) and doing something else while it continues. So much of the internet works this way, if you're dealing with large filesizes.
  • edited 2020-07-26 01:33:28
    I do that for test renders, I gotta wait 5mins for it and so I go elsewhere and come back 20 mins later.
    I witnessed in real time WoW at 80 ms latency, I got to see instant cast skills actually seem instant, it's different watching it live than through videos. I think the lowest I had seen before was ~150 ms once.
    Though I too gotta question if faster (and shorter) wi-fi is worth making things harder for weather scientists.
    At any rate I clearly got worse at self-restraint, this time it was 8 hours worth of Reddit, and that's with no image thread dump material to show for it. I think I'll go cold-turkey.
    Anyhows, over the last year friends, family, work, video games, IJBM and the rest of the universe have been very insistent that I should exercise so I think I will. I think I'll try the stretching stuff that makes you more elastic.
    I am frequently prone to weird tiny injuries but that doesn't really stop me moving about like a madman to half the music I hear.
    this time it was 8 hours worth of Reddit

Wow. My worst "goodbye self control" episode was the time I watched 8 episodes of Free! Eternal Summer in a row.

Speaking of cold turkey, I've been trying to quit construction toys for about... 7 months now, but I keep coming back like it's that one Lindsay Lohan song (I did not know this song had a music video until just now).

I know I really like them, but life to some extent is about genuinely giving up some things because you know they aren't the best use of your time and you can't really exercise proper self-control when you're around them.
    I did once marathon all 26 episodes of the Ragnarok anime series in one day.

It was not a good idea.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I am yet to finish that show
  • The co-owner of the auto-repair shop I worked at and friend of an uncle has passed away, from COVID-19-worsened heart complications.
  • edited 2020-07-27 22:27:18
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Dude, I hope you're taking your precautions, 'cause it's getting closer and closer.

Sucks to hear it.

At my end everything is very peaceful, there was a neighbouring family that had some cases, but asymptomatic, and that's pretty much all of it. Reading the reports (including the posts here) feels awkward, like I was on some sort of easy mode. Not complaining (or, for that matter, bragging), but it's a little weird.
  • Dude, I hope you're taking your precautions, 'cause it's getting closer and closer.
    No kidding, his shop is just a couple blocks away and turns out it was open not long ago. I don't know if he was still going there (probably) or if that's where he got contagiated but yeah, gotta take precautions.
    Poor guy, he was super passionate about cars (specifically SUVs).
    I can't say things feel apocalyptic, people have been trying to live life for a while now. Reports are unreliable but anecdotically I only know of one other person with the disease. Of course, all that's going to change as we get into the nastier place of the logistic distribution.
    I'm not worried about myself, I think I'm healthy enough for it, I'm more worried about my mother, she's an old lady who wouldn't have an easy time with the disease.
    I hope you stay healthy, man. Both you and your mom.
  • edited 2020-07-28 04:56:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I've personally hoped that I'm an asymptomatic carrier.

I'm not currently sick, but if I haven't gotten it yet, I'd still have to worry whether I'm going to catch it. But if I already have it and I'm still fine, I don't have much to worry about.

That said, like Stormtroper I'm living with people who are of an age or condition that would not have an easy time with the disease, so I've taken excess precautions when going out, as well as limiting how much I do go out in the first place. It doesn't help that I'm living in a place where there are a substantial number of jerks insistent on mismanaging the pandemic, either as a matter of public policy or personal social practice.

But yeah. Stay safe, everyone.
  • edited 2020-07-28 05:37:12
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    [resists urge to start thing about DeSanctis]

I think antibody testing has really been neglected across the board/globe and I don't feel confident merely attributing that to mismanagement or oversight.

As for here; a man who worked in my mom's office building got it two weeks ago and that was kind of a whole thing, this was after a man who worked with my mom quite suddenly died of something unidentified.

He wasn't tested, but then the hospital he passed away in had to quarantine all it's staff two days later. My uncle is a doctor there, and he's been cagey about what happened in quarantine or if he came up clean or not. In addition, a few close friends of the family, mostly doctors, have had it quite bad.
  • edited 2020-07-29 09:56:01
    ^^^, ^^ Thanks guys, you too take care.
    On a more (positive?) note I finally got around to disassemble a damaged PS3 my brother bought years ago, it had the Yellow Light of Death and then the owner did that thing where you put it in the oven and with some luck it works for a couple days, and almost certainly damage it in other ways. The outside is warped so I was hoping to I was hoping to find Mordor's volcano inside but turns out it looks okay. The thermal paste was almost entirely gone but before replacing it I think I'll wait
    until I have the tools to test other stuff before spending ~$2 on replacing the paste and the hassle of reassembling it.
    For some reason I've been on a tinkering mood lately.
    On a less positive note, I learned that Hans Asperger co-operated with the nazis and at least a couple disabled kids were killed because of him.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    So, my own more positive note is that I sent an RPG scenario to an RPG scenario writing contest.

Yep, what I've been doing to feel productive during the quarantine period. You can say I'm actually, like, counter-productive to society. Instead of spending the time on something useful, or even just wasting it, I used it for some nerd shit.

There are like forty other competitors this year, so my chances to end up on the podium are virtually zero. (I could've hoped for something if there were like five, as it was a few times in the past, but with forty it's improbable.) But I consider this a bit of a personal accomplishment anyway, to manage to finish it and build up enough courage to apply, even if semi-anonymously.
    Instead of spending the time on something useful, or even just wasting it,

Oh, I thought you were going to say "Instead of wasting my own time, I ended up creating a means to waste other people's."

Good long-shot luck anyways!
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the judges, or reviewers, or how do I call them, will rip me to shreds, but I did it for the satisfaction of having taken part in it so I'm kinda looking forward to it. Well, not really, but in the sense of I know they will, so by that time I will have braced myself for it.
    You are, after all, Polish Man, so you have license to do strange things.
    Good long-shot luck anyways!
    You are, after all, Polish Man, so you have license to do strange things.

Aw, thanks guys!
  • edited 2020-07-30 04:58:10
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I'm going to try and have an internet-lite August. I don't think I could manage going completely away. That'd mean disappearing from here and suddenly being a really annoying coworker.

I decided I'd limit myself to an arbitrary number of sites/apps, in this case 10;

(1) CDJapan
    (2) Aikatsu! official site
    (3) Amazon
    (4) IJBM (duh)
    (5) Gmail
    (6) Bank
    (7) Hangouts (by Google)
    (8) MyAnimeList for News/List Updates
    (9) [A Site For Rogue Men and Women of the High Web Seas]
    (10) FictionPress, because I need to update Detective Brody II weekly

Ehhhh I'll decide on the rest later. oh my gosh how did this fill up so quickly

Twitter is definitely barred, as is YouTube. I will probably also bar myself from performing Google searches (or searches by any other means like DuckDuckGo) and from reading Wikipedia.

I will watch some YouTube videos for exactly one reason: the new Aikatsu! series is coming out, and I will try and only watch them on the official website. If they can't be accessed that way, then I'll need to live with it.

I guess as for MAL I can't read any threads or browse the site on a whim.

imgur is technically barred but it's how I host images for Dapper Man, so I will allow myself functional visits, maybe limited to 5 total through the month. That means I'll need to be strategic.

But this also means I really need to stop relying on YouTube to watch music videos and I have to figure out my means via the end of July (which is tomorrow).

We'll see how it goes...
  • (9) [A Site For Rogue Men and Women of the High Web Seas]
    TV Tropes has changed a lot.
    As for RPG scenarios, I figure working on that makes you better at writing, wouldn't it?
    Regardless, good luck!
    Oh, I thought you were going to say "Instead of wasting my own time, I ended up creating a means to waste other people's."
    Same.
    TV Tropes has changed a lot.

I genuinely haven't been on TVT since probably the last time it was linked to me.

I just mean a specific torrent site, but I think mentioning such things in polite company is frowned upon.