If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    On a less positive note, I learned that

This reminds me of how one of the guys who spearheaded the push for gay marriage at the LGBTI(nfinite Genders) organization Human Rights Council, literally a year after Obergville* v Hodges was settled, was caught in a weird plot involving a friend of his and a 15 year old boy they met on preyed on through Grindr.

They then proceeded to witness-tamper the heck out of that case by not only paying off the boy with $200k to get him to go on the run, but by doing it through his lawyer (who they may or may not have bought off to become the boy's lawyer to start with).

The case was meant to go on this year, but then the courts all had to postpone.

*I know I've mispelled this but I can't check till August is over.
  • The pain in my back/shoulder is now gone, thankfully.
    Unfortunately, now I have a swollen eyelid.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Does not sound like the two are related.

Also, this is how thirties feel like.
    Oh, congrats!
    Unfortunately, now I have a swollen eyelid.

Sounds like a (figurative) pain, but it's much less worrying than unidentified back pain.
  • I may have spoken too early, I tried sleeping on the side of my body where it hurt and it hurt. Though if I don't do anymore dumb things I think I'll be fine.
    As for the swollen eye, it was also a (slight) literal pain, but it's much better now, barely noticeable.
  • edited 2020-08-03 15:45:16
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Since Aug 1st;
    • Can't look up a YT of Jennifer Lopez' Hold you Down featuring Fat Joe (or is it Fat Joe's Hold you Down featuring Jennifer Lopez? Amazon does not know)
    • Can't look up YT of Lady Gaga's Rain on Me featuring Ariana Grande (this might be a good thing, I've been listening to this song too much)
    • Can't Google the spelling of Obergvelle
    • Can't Google how to do that thing in Excel where you convert formula numbers into plaintext
    • Can't Google the flag of Wales to make sure I get joke
    • Locked self out of possibility of watching the movie Upside Down Magic anytime soon
    • Can't Google what movies Emma Roberts has been in that I've watched, especially that one that was adapted from a YA book and was about a weird game involving smartphone challenges
    • Can't Google what Cheryl Blossom from CW Riverdale's real name is
    • Can't Google what that girl from The Next Step is called who was in that scene in Polaroid with Cheryl Blossom from CW Riverdale (I remembered, it's Sloane)
    • Can't obsessively refresh toy people's instagrams
    • Locked self out of all online news and opinion pieces
    • Checked my GMail like 50 times a day. News flash; GMail is not twitter, nothing happens when you do this.
    • Refreshed IJBM like 150 times a day. News flash; same deal as above
    • Can't read MAL thread about the latest episode of Digimon Adventure:

This is a lot of Can't Google.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Entertainment · Trending
    Rate Limit Exceeded
    18.7K Tweets
    Certainly, entertainment, indeed.
  • edited 2020-08-06 08:28:14
    Search engines are one of those things I wouldn't give up, they're just too useful when you need a small tidbit of information, and if you're looking for one specific thing and avoid things like Wikipedia I think one can avoid getting distracted.
    For some reason (PC building videos/forums?) I've been thinking about what the exact right amount of pedantry is regarding the term "heat", something that was drilled into our skulls in class as super important. Now, it's generally not hard to interpret what people mean when they say it in a way that's not wrong (usually either "energy" or "hot air"), but sometimes they're pushing it. High school would do well in teaching that the concept of "heat energy" is not a thing.
    I've been very negligent about flashcards, not doing them until well after I should have already be asleep, or not doing them at all. So, like, maybe if I post this I'll feel like doing them.
    Search engines are one of those things I wouldn't give up

Yeah, I can really see that now (add "Can't google William the Conqueror" to the list). It's not permanently or anything.

I've actually been thinking that maybe I just do this thing 'till August 10th and maybe try again next year or just some other time. I mean, in the short time I've been doing this I've had a lot of time to think and identify why I wanted to do it in the first place.
    High school would do well in teaching that the concept of "heat energy" is not a thing.

According to many JRPGs it totally is.
    So, like, maybe if I post this I'll feel like doing them.

I was going to do so much self-study this year! I mean, there's still time, so I should get 'round to it like... soon. Maybe I can actually learn 30% of another language even.
  • Yeeeeeh I think I'm going to have to go internet cold turkey too. Let's see...
    * No Reddit at all, I was already abstaining from browsing to a large extent but may as well "officialize" it and treat it absolutely.
    * No YouTube, except for the purpose of tutorials that I am to follow, something in French/Japanese, maybe background music and maaaaaaaybe stuff to watch in bed right before sleeping.
    * No Wikipedia or any other wiki unless it's to look something up then close the tab (i.e. no clicking on links after having found what I was looking for).
    * No forums besides IJBM.
    Looking at my browsing history, that should be enough. I'll be revising this next week, though I think I'll only come up with more things to ban.
    Refreshed IJBM like 150 times a day. News flash; same deal as above
    It doesn't happen anymore, but back when IJBM was very active I'd refresh Recent Activity something like every 5-10 minutes if I didn't catch myself doing so.
    Anyhow, ban starts... now!
    Sorry I haven't been commenting in here much while there's actual conversation going on...

How are your back and your eye, Stormtroper?
  • edited 2020-08-07 12:35:55
    Yeeeeeh I think I'm going to have to go internet cold turkey too.

Aww man, I can't quit now if you're doing it too!
    No Wikipedia

This morning I couldn't wiki up the plot of Brokeback Mountain, which I wanted to check because of a book I've been sort of reading.

Okay, so I think I can make it another week if I hit a few release valves.

I have to admit something; I did actually visit a website not on the whitelist once but it was kind of a force-of-habit thing after seeing a commercial on TV.

It turned out to be a PSA for the tobacco industry begging the South African government to overturn the temporary ban on tobacco products, so it wasn't even like I got anything out of it.

I keep wanting to check some political podcasts/pages, but the feeling passes quickly. This is like the first time ever that my dad has told me about a news story I knew absolutely nothing about.
  • ^^ Ahh, thanks for caring.
    My eye is perfectly fine now.
    My back/shoulder doesn't hurt much as long as I don't sit/lie down with a bad posture for extended periods of time, it seems that it's going to take a while to heal completely.
    ^ Apparently giving all that up doesn't mean I won't find ways to avoid doing useful things. I guess it takes conscious effort to put one's energy where it should be.
    I think I'm going to start using that trick where you commit to do some extremely easy/short task and after you're done you go however further you feel like.
    I feel like I tried that a few times, but then I'd be like "Yay, I did it! I'll do more tomorrow!" and then 3 months later it's like "uhhhhhhhhhh".
    so I think I can make it another week if I hit a few release valves

Yeah uh, I think 10 days is enough for now.
    it seems that it's going to take a while to heal completely.

Ah, that's always annoying. Hope you get better soon!
  • edited 2020-08-08 04:54:02
    Hope you get better soon!
    Thanks!
    I managed to fix this ancient computer I had laying around, it's the one I had before this one which I got about a decade ago, and it was dated then, it'd be... ~15-18 years old, maybe?
    It'd randomly shut down, back then it'd barely be able to load Windows (7) and now it'd only get to the boot menu. For the longest time I thought it had a damaged motherboard, I don't remember if I knew this back then but a likely reason for that is a damaged capacitor, I inspected them and they all seemed fine but that doesn't mean they're actually fine so I went with what I was going to do, as I only checked in the off-chance I noticed some fixable problem. My main purpose was to disassemble it so I could use its parts on a different PC after having found a working power supply lying around that I needed to build a functional PC (while testing it I also tried two other power supplies that I had written off and turns out one of them worked).
    Anyhows, I began to disassemble it and then I noticed the cooler was loose, then it occurred to me the problem could be the CPU overheating. On closer inspection there was a thick layer of dust completely blocking off the heat sink. As usual, I struggle with Intel's stock cooler. If this thing ever had thermal paste I found no traces of it (did computers even use thermal paste back then?). All that stuff would've been useful to know ten years ago. Some thermal paste and reassembly later and it works! Kind of, it's sort of finicky and randomly stops working after connecting stuff or just moving it, although maybe the only problem is the monitor's VGA connector.
    Anyhows, Windows booted fine so I got to look at >10 years old memories. Unfortunately the computer stopped working not long after I had reformatted so I didn't have much saved around, but I did have cool stuff:
    * I had a couple photos of my home, it looked nicer back then, the grass was (literally) greener and the paintwork hadn't grown as faint.
    * I had lots of Anki decks lying around. That was probably a year or two after I had started learning Japanese, I had these plus some other French and one from my short-lived attempt at learning German before deciding I should become more experienced at the other two first.
    * I had dozens of Cave Story folders (at different parts of the game or with different items, and some hacks), IIRC at the time I was still super into the game, especially Sacred Ground time attacks. I played for a while and it stutters a bit, probably because I removed the graphics card. I got to the beginning of the Sacred Grounds room after the one with falling blocks.
    *Besides Cave Story, I also had Ijji and Yume Nikki, I was into indie games before it was cool. Oh, of course I had Touhou games too, though I couldn't open it (probably needed to update DirectX or something), maybe they were demos. Gotta check if my earliest replays are there.
    *I also had university work lying around, plus stuff from relatives that I was probably backing up or something.
    I was hoping to find my earliest 3DCG stuff but I think I got into it some time later.
    Also I was asked to update Panda Antivirus 2010.
    This thing has 512 MB of RAM, it has two modules but only one is detected, when I put this thing up I noticed one of them wasn't properly set, I quickly reset it but I'm not sure I did it right, I'll have to try some more.
    The graphics card is a GF FX5200, some 128 MB of VRAM thing from when graphics cards were small and had no covers or backplate. For some reason a Google Images comes up with stuff that looks very different but mine looks like this. I think it's doesn't work reliably but maybe I just have to set it right.
    Like I said, it's a bummer I didn't have more stuff saved, but I still liked what I saw and want to keep it, I was thinking about wiping the HDD and install Linux on it but now I don't think I will, I want to keep it exactly as it is. Though I wonder how come this thing is almost full, it didn't seem to have that much in it, I'll have to check.
    Today (well, the day that just ended) was a good day.
    Sounds like a real good day.
    15-18 years old

Wow!
    did computers even use thermal paste back then?

My mind was blown at this based on my newly discovered computer building knowledge. I just assumed thermal paste has always existed.
    then it occurred to me the problem could be the CPU overheating

You know, whenever I start having issues with a PC I assume it's a software thing.

I have a PC that I was using up to late last year that kind of just slowed to a crawl, and I assumed it'd just come to the end of it's useful life and so I set it aside. Maybe I should try tinkering with it sometime. I mean, I know enough about disassembly now after doing research.
    Windows booted fine so I got to look at >10 years old memories

I always reformat PCs whenever I give them away or have them fixed so I'd never find any of my old memories...
  • edited 2020-08-08 15:11:57
    Oh, forgot to mention, this thing's fan is loooooooud.
    My mind was blown at this based on my newly discovered computer building knowledge. I just assumed thermal paste has always existed.
    Yeh. I know during the 90s they didn't (or at least, not the ones we had at home), but over time CPU power requirements have increased and thus ways to dissipate energy. Then again today we have phones and some single-board computers that don't even need heat sinks.
    I remember some years ago learning about thermal paste and thinking "wait, have I been boiling processors this whole time?".
    That said I've never changed the thermal paste on the CPU I'm currently using, I think it's from the era when it was required but changing it wasn't needed, it doesn't have CPU temperature issues so probably. I'm always nervous about tinkering with something I can't afford to lose.
    I have a PC that I was using up to late last year that kind of just slowed to a crawl, and I assumed it'd just come to the end of it's useful life and so I set it aside. Maybe I should try tinkering with it sometime. I mean, I know enough about disassembly now after doing research.
    Yeah, you may want to look into that, AFAIK it's not normal for stuff to slow down just because it's old, either it works, works unreliable or doesn't work, but if it slows down it's probably either software issues or something "external" like dust, old thermal paste or stuck or (if this counts as "external") damaged fans.
    No forums besides IJBM.
    Addendum: 3DCG forums are also exempt.
    Then again today we have phones and some single-board computers that don't even need heat sinks.

Point.
    it's probably either software issues

I really should have gone deeper into programming than web design, but the leap between amateur web design and even figuring out what exactly is wrong software-wise is probably larger than I imagine.
    I'm always nervous about tinkering with something I can't afford to lose.

I remember the first time I ever modded my (v2? v3? can't remember which model the Slim was now) PSP with uh... alternative software and thinking that if it didn't work out I wouldn't say anything because my parents had gotten it close to release day because I'd banged on about it so much.

I think it prepared me for like, messing with hardware like screen replacements. The first generation Slims had a thing with unresponsive face buttons (the super-tiny ones directly under the screen which were attached to the screen itself rather than the main motherboard) and so most needed to be fixed.
  • Something I've learned from working with computers is that one shouldn't be too afraid to tinker with them, because they malfunction only when one condition is met; computers malfunction when they feel like it, they'll break down for no good reason and survive things they shouldn't. Of course one should be careful but being concerned only works up to a certain extent.
    (I still wouldn't open up some important device if I don't have to.)
    I really should have gone deeper into programming than web design, but the leap between amateur web design and even figuring out what exactly is wrong software-wise is probably larger than I imagine.
    In my experience programming doesn't translate that well into computer troubleshooting, you do your coding in your own little space that only interacts with the rest of the non-programming computer world in abstracted, black-boxy ways (APIs, frameworks, etc.). I've learned a few things at it but I think I've learned more from troubleshooting programming-related software and following vague compiling instructions (note: all compiling instructions are vague) than programming itself.
    I think this was different 20+ years ago when programming involved more knowing your operating system so you could make it do whatever.
    I think troubleshooting operating systems is quite a bit different from understanding programming since very often troubleshooting OSes means navigating some complicated thing (that's already been programmed and compiled) in order find the relevant information about what's wrong. Having a programmer's intuition might help come up with troubleshooting ideas, but won't necessarily provide the nuts and bolts for solving it. On the other hand, knowing how to find and read error messages would help, and often that involves searching for explanations for those error messages.
    all compiling instructions are vague

Fun!
    Having a programmer's intuition might help come up with troubleshooting ideas, but won't necessarily provide the nuts and bolts for solving it.

Yeah that's how I was looking at it.
    On the other hand, knowing how to find and read error messages would help, and often that involves searching for explanations for those error messages.

So this is basically saying every time a new Windows OS comes out, you spend some time acclimating yourself to it's issues?

Essentially it's more important to have a map than to be an adventurer?

If so; I'd want to start on Windows 10 at some point in the future and become a pseudo-expert on it's issues. I'll leave this plan on the table for some time to make sure there isn't a Windows 11 right around the corner, but this sounds like the sort of situation where the longer you wait the likelier the outcome you are avoiding becomes.

I do remember Microsoft saying they were intending to just update Windows 10 forever, but I also remember them saying something similar about 8.1.
  • It's lasted a while, at least.
    I've always found it annoying how Windows changes where to do stuff between versions, or even between updates, it makes it annoying to follow instructions. Also there's often more than one place to deal with one thing.
    Speaking of vague compiling instructions, I tried again compiling Forge from scratch, the same MtG Engine I struggled with last year. I found the Git page had updated instructions, much better than the two outdated instructions I had to use before. It was much smoother but I still struggled with one part it skipped (setting JDK on the IDE), finding out how to do so felt like navigating through an aircraft's controls.
    On unrelated stuff, I'm getting not-secure warnings from my browser while on some threads here, the Touhou and the MtG one (maybe more I'unno).
  • edited 2020-08-11 05:43:17
    I've always found it annoying how Windows changes where to do stuff between versions

I think it's hilarious that they stapled the "Settings" panel over the Control Panel (which is not made up of fancy 8-esque GUI panels, funnily enough). I mean, it would have been so convenient for the tiny buttons in Start on Windows 10 to be "Account", "Control Panel" (rather than "Settings", ha, Settings) and "Power" but eh, I can live with it.

Also the times when you accidentally click on "Settings" when trying to click on "Power" are the most annoying thing since Settings has a fullscreen window that hides your Start menu so you have to close the "Settings" panel and then go back to the menu. It's a tiny thing but come on.

Another thing I didn't realize until I was trying to help my grandma with her Wi-Fi was that Windows 10 removed the Charms bar! I understand people hated it for very good reasons, but for goodness sakes when it came to entry level users it was easy as heck to guide them through things that otherwise require clicking on tiny icons they will probably not understand.
    even between updates

The latest Android update has severely nerfed your ability to turn off Notifications. Instead of having the Notifications panel show you all the apps with a toggle interface, it only shows the apps that have sent you apps recently and probably maxes out (I can't really check).
    I'm getting not-secure warnings from my browser while on some threads here

It's possible that some of the embedded pictures or links on those pages (which are like... old) are triggering those.

Oh also I officially ended my internet-lite days this morning and it's kind of scary how easy it is to get back into 20tabs/second.
  • It's possible that some of the embedded pictures or links on those pages (which are like... old) are triggering those.
    Oh, that... makes a lot of sense, I never noticed that before. I guess I'm noticing now becomes I've grown increasingly conscious of internet privacy.
    I've broken my website quarantine more times than I should, so I think I'll keep at it. I should definitely set a time when I'm free to do whatever, YouTube's recommendations are sometimes too tempting.
  • edited 2020-08-12 05:22:19
    So I was doing the thing about making Forge use different languages, manually copying all I had done on a previous version. One of the last lines of literally the last file that I had to modify referred to some kind of translation and is defined under what seemed to be a complete translation system. Turns out multiple languages had already been implemented on the latest version and I wasn't aware, that would've been useful to know. It's also done in a much, muuuuuch simpler than how II was doing it.
    One still needs a file with a list of translated text, which is not available in Japanese and that I worked on so I guess it wasn't entirely wasted effort, but still. Also no flavor texts.
    Also yesterday for some reason I was downloading some stuff at over 6 MB/s (vs. the ~1.25 MB/s I'm supposed to have), never thought I'd see that number.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Got to see my gf the day before yesterday. Feels good.
  • edited 2020-08-12 23:57:01
    Nice to hear that. The way you described it, sounds like the lockdown is having nasty effects on people over there.
    Anyhows, there was this huge explosion nearby, it was in a building several blocks away but was still felt at home. Apparently an elderly couple had left a gas stove open, the entire appartment exploded. Unfortunately both of them died. We had a blackout for almost 11 hours, although nearby areas still had service, power just came back and so I just found out how bad it was.
    Dang.

Glad you're all right at least.

And good to know you two are doing fine, vandro and vandro's girlfriend.

I recently realized that Python 3 is preinstalled on old-but-repurposed Linux Mint machine, and today I figured out how to save and run .py files on it. Apparently the built-in text editor, xed, already does Python-based format highlighting.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I just got one of these scientific spam e-mails, written all in Comic Sans.

Also, what Glenn said. (Not counting the issue of Python.)
    Man, that's intense. Glad to hear you're okay.
    written all in Comic Sans.

Spam Bots should really know better.