If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• edited 2020-01-28 17:05:46
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @fourteenwings TRF yes

lol my first time i heard TRF's music was when "lights and any more" was used for a Kiddy Grade MAD

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    Me too!

Anyways, I've been really into old Japanese music lately. Probably spurred on by watching Idol Densetsu Eriko.

PVs were much wilder before they had budgets and the actual means for special effects.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Recent listening. What I find interesting in comparison is that Polish doomer mixes tend to be sad rock from 80's, 90's and early 2000's, while this is mostly made of retro synth, postpunk, coldwave and similar pieces. Nostalgia working differently, or just the compilers' tastes?

14w@8AM: TOHOSHINKI's cover of survival dAnce is so different from the original I don't like it at all.

14w@5PM: I LOVE THIS SONG IT'S THE BEST DUBSTEP EVER
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    You actually got me curious enough to try. Been thinking I should perhaps try more of that k-pop/j-pop stuff you guys post, to know the stuff at the least.

Meanwhile, I've been binging on sovietwave again:

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    why is it spelled "survival dAnce"?
    It's a J-pop song from 1994?
    Been thinking I should perhaps try more of that k-pop/j-pop stuff you guys post, to know the stuff at the least.

I don't think developing a passing knowledge is a bad idea, but further from that you get down a very hipster road it's hard to ever turn back from.
  • edited 2020-02-05 05:13:38
    But if you do want to get hipster, I recommend checking out the groups Homicidols write about.

I'm not sure why I follow that site, I only care about Gang Parade there.
  • edited 2020-02-05 15:51:32
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I do wonder what the most obscure J-pop genres are. The English speaking J-pop Twitterati generally prefer the pop and R&B infused styles of the mid to late 00s, which are still played with today but have become niche.

Even Utada moved on to writing things that appear faux-jazz-classical, Amuro Namie quit before her popularity could plummet (and even before that she'd focused on frontloading her albums and singles with ballads), and Hamasaki Ayumi desperately attempts to cling to the good old days.

Also, Koda Kumi covers Ricky Martin.*

(Meanwhile, Shiina Ringo gets ahead on nationalism).

The main driving trend of J-pop right now is probably the City Pop style that was kind of cool for a flash in the 90s, so the Aimyons and Yonezu Kenshis. Also, for some reason, Hoshino Gen and Official HIGE DANISM.

What I'm saying is that technically if you stick to artists like AISHA, Kato Miliyah, Crystal Kay and JUJU, you'll be listening to a style that was once very popular, but now sells less than 1k in both physical and digital.

I mean, at least anti-idols have fanbases.

*It's funny because this got her latest album banned from exports as avex doesn't have the international rights to the one song nobody cares for.
  • edited 2020-02-08 15:45:01

New Style Boutique 3's English versions of the original Japanese songs are pretty great.
  • "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

I kinda have a rotating playlist of music I listen to to feel good, and at any given time, there's a good chance Snail's House is going to be, like, half of it.
    >oh my gosh spotify rap
    >I hate this so much
    >obvious disenfranchisement is obvious
    >oh it's about voting in local elections
    >so they can implement every policy you want
    >somehow ended up being exactly what I expected

To be less cynical, the central message is great (vote in local elections) but then it's attached to lots of other things that can alienate voters that don't agree with the rapper, which also puts into question the central message (what if people do show up entirely to vote for things you don't like?).

I guess what I learned from this voting is a civil duty rather than a means to an end. So I still learned something!
    > spotify rap
    ?
    A genre of music popularized on the streaming platform Spotify, with low energy effort put into the rap/vocal performance and a backing track that sounds vaaaaaguely like it's trying to sell you illegal substances.

Like many genres, it went from (I hate to say this word but it's accurate) artform to mainstream when like Noah Cyrus, Baby Ariel and Rebecca Black jumped right on the bandwagon.
    I finally got a chance to listen to the Tarzan soundtrack after seeing the movie a few weeks ago. My CD case was a bit roughed up, but I don't mind... too much.

Anyways, it feels like an extended single for Two Worlds (there are 3 versions of it over 14 tracks). I mean, Son of Man is really good, and so is the full version of You'll Be In My Heart, but the various soundtrack snippets are kind of odd just intersped on an average CD album.

Also, there is a Phil Collins x N'SYNC barber-shop doo-wop version of Trashin' the Camp. I have no idea why this exists, but it does.
    Unrelated to Tarzan or Noah Cyrus:

• There was a country song about the British hunt for the German battleship Bismarck.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/classicalmusic/comments/f8zwru/how_is_concert_etiquette_so_bad/fiplfv2/

(context: someone else suggested that the rich people are there not to enjoy the music but to show off their wealth for purposes like business networking)
    Or because they're "supposed" to be in places like these. While proper etiquette is a part of these sorts of social codes, I'm willing to believe in its (their) degeneration over time.

Which is not all that much different from what you say, I guess?
  • edited 2020-02-25 10:20:21
    having bought tickets at an exorbitant price.

Ahhhh.

Well, yeah, status is a game played in these sorts of venues. Most of my knowledge of premodern art and history (before I started caring about it for it's own sake) I picked up via Gossip Girl, The Clique, and other books about rich New Yorkers with very little interest in anything but who needed to be at something or other to be seen.

In fact, the first few Clique books were rife with constant Julius Caesar references.

I mean, the theme song to the Gossip Girl TV series is called 'Steps of the Met' because Constance Billard School for Girls is about a block away from the Metropolitan Museum and the ultimate status symbol is sitting at the very top of the stairs at lunch just cause.
  • Bovarian Mammarian

gmh said I should post this here because Sovietwave

I like the pictures

My favourite performance of this tune. There are like a dozen on YouTube, but this one has this buzzing-howling guitar at the end.

Also, sovietwave. Right now I'm a bit off the sovietwave mood and back on dungeon synth mood, but there's something charming in it that I on average don't quite seem to find in synthwave.
    i can't believe @lrdgck didn't react to sovietwave
    Well, uh...

>_>

<_<

It's like, uhm, I, I didn't feel like I have something to add, so... well, I figured posting just a single sentence along the lines of "HEY I LIKE IT TOO" was a bit... inane, I guess? That's how I felt at the moment, so... So in the end I didn't post anything.
  • edited 2020-03-09 01:02:25
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    sorry for pestering you, haha

(my comment was in jest in case it wasn't clear)
    Well, then, I'm not any sort of expert or whatever anyway, but I'm glad to share a taste.

Now, for all your dungeon-related needs:

Hidden Staircases and Endless Corridords
    oh fug

You're right, I didn't spot it. But given the kvlter-than-thou production values of dungeon synth it's not surprising.