If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    What's Touken Ranbu?

You never cease to amaze me.

It's sword boys, just to be clear. Very popular sword boys.

I mean, next you'll be wondering what Hypnosis Mic is.
    I'm tapped out on what I want to buy from them.

If only that ever happened to me.

What's Hypnosis Mic?
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Hypnosis Mic is a very popular Otome anison/drama CD series that is based around hip-hop music. It recently had a TV anime greenlit.
    wow, someone managed to snag this domain name

http://kemonofriends.com/
    For the first time, domestic streaming revenue at 59.5 billion yen (US$542.7 million) has surpassed that of home video releases at 58.7 billion yen (US$535.4 million).

Welcome to the New Era.
  • edited 2019-12-19 15:47:18
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I wonder if next year's ARTE anime was meant to coincide with this year being the 500th Anniversary of Leonardo da Vinci's death.
    I watched more Z/X Code reunion!

S1hva7l.jpg

How is Seika not a main character? She has the best design of the whole show.

SQ09suk.jpg

That's entirely your fault!

2oRWWqf.jpg

One of the colorists must have been out sick this week...

B7D4k2V.jpg

Now that's a twist.

oL3GpGU.jpg

Now this is pretty.
    Kabaneri of the Iron-Blooded Orphans

• One of the colorists must have been out sick this week...

are you sure this isn't foreshadowing of a subplot involving mimes
    As of episode 9... probably not?

ahem

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Judging by the date when I posted the earliest screenshots, it took me slightly under 23 months to finish '90s Sailor Moon.

Which means it's been about that long since I've went without feeling "I should watch more Sailor Moon".
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I heard stuff about One Punch Man 2 being good
    I mainly heard that everybody blamed J.C.Staff ruining everything, but that was the initial reaction from when it was airing.

Maybe it was actually good and people were freaking out for no reason.
    I'm wondering whether I should rewatch all of Z/X Code reunion now that I know the twist, to allow this awareness to illuminate the rest of the story.
    It probably won't, considering that even after the twist in question nothing much changed aside from Ena felt bad in a few scenes.
    I also want to watch this dubbed.
    It's Winter. 2020! It's a whole new year of anime to obsess over, so I thought I'd go over some of the more promising or fanfare worthy series.

When there was an announcement for the Darwin's Game anime, I assumed it would be a quick attempt at pleasing the fans of the death game genre. Of course, I knew it would have decent enough animation, but it was something that I was assuming would be a footnote of 2020 for the average fan.

Then the promo stuff started.

First of all, this somehow became an Aniplex flagship alongside Magia Record. Of course, it's one approaching the investment of something like Grancrest Senki rather than THE danged Magia Record (also happening this cour) but that's still a bigger deal than I expected.

I guess as a death game story, Darwin's Game is more Deadman Wonderland than Ousama Game, so there's a lot of fun to be had with that in a mainstream sense rather than a specific one.

Which brings me to Magia Record! Yes, the Madoka franchise returns to TV! Let's see how well a mobage plot holds up under scrutiny, let alone one directed by... the animation studio behind the Witch's Labyrinths?

Then we come to Kadokawa's original anime entry for this cour; ID: Invaded. I was quite excited for this from the outset, because it has perpectual "guy with ideas" Aoki Ei behind it.

Well, he had one idea, really -Re:CREATORS-, and nobody wanted it. So much so that he appears to have been pushed out of TROYCA entirely and is directing his latest work at... NAZ? DRAMAtical Murder and second season of Hamatora NAZ? Uh, well then.

I assumed this would be snatched up by Netflix, but that was before I understood how "we're going to try for greatness on a budget" this was. Then again, it's not like Netflix hasn't gone there before *cough*two entire seasons Sword Gai*cough*

Meanwhile, Twin Engine-slash-Geno Studio continues to bring us the weird and wonderful with pet, which sounds like a less-sexed-up take on Dorei-ku The Animation. I have no doubts about it being a compelling story, but there's always the question if they'll ever have the cultural relevance of Golden Kamuy ever again.

In the world of LNs, the vaguely popular LN series Infinite Dedrogram finally gets it's own anime adaptation. Having read the LNs, I can't say I didn't find the world interesting, and I'm curious to see how they'll adapt the very first episode (if they do manage to do the "different perspectives including 3D and photorealistic-ness" scene any justice) but I have to say I'm not a fan of much after the first LN.

Lerche have really surprised me with the animation quality they're bringing to Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun. Having never read the source material, I have no idea what it's about, but it is indeed very pretty.

In a bit of genre confusion comes the shounen... fashion/modelling anime Runway de Waratte (Smile Down the Runway). Basically everything about this screams shoujo, which I would be on board with, but there's always the fear that this is just the fashion/modelling equivalent of that perpetual emotion-tugging machine Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso/Your Lie in April.

Now for the Otome roundup;

A3!, the most popular Otome charasong project on the planet until Hypnosis Mic came along, finally gets it's anime adaptation. Let's see if it can leverage some of that popularity or if it truly has been eclipsed by Hypnosis Mic.

In addition, ARP Backstage, which is based on a "Holographic Live Concert" project by avex makes it's way to anime. The synopsis so far seems very loosely sketched, but the CG seems promising enough. Plus, it's one of the few otome projects that isn't massively overcrowded from the start.
  • edited 2020-01-01 05:57:29
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I never did get around to finishing Z/X Code Reunion before the new year rolled around, heh. I guess Azumi and Rigel and their friends will be with me for a little while longer.

Also, copypasted from my post elsewhere:

A chat got me wondering what I've watched that was released within this past decade (specifically 2010-2019).

Picking only from stuff I've completed, here are shows I'd nominate for "Best Shows of the Decade" awards:
    * Beatless + Beatless: Final Stage
    * Gabriel DropOut + specials
    * Kemono Friends
    * Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm
    * Cross Ange
    * Arpeggio of Blue Steel
    * Beyond the Boundary
    * The iDOLM@STER
    * Angel Beats
    * Umi Monogatari no wait this is actually a 2009 show; only the extra episode is from 2010

Possible left-field picks / honorable mentions:
    * [this space reserved for Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon when I finally get around to watching it]
    * Yosuga no Sora
    * Heartcatch Precure
    * Symphogear G
    * Heavy Object

Meanwhile, here are my nominees for "I Really Wish It Had More Time":
    * Chaika the Coffin Princess + Avenging Battle
    * Tales of Zestiria the X + episode 0 + second season
    * Tales of Berseria (make it a separate show!)
    * The Asterisk War
    * Chain Chronicle: the Light of Haecceitas
    * Alderamin on the Sky
    * Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor
    * Manaria Friends
    A chat got me wondering what I've watched that was released within this past decade

This is not a list I want to make. It is probably like... 100 shows?

I guess I can do a list of my favorite shows of the decade:
    • Eureka Seven: AO
    • UN-GO
    • Aikatsu Stars!+Aikatsu Stars! Hoshi no Tsubasa
    • Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace
    • Makai Ouji: devils and realist
    • Fukumenkei Noise
    • Last Period: Owarinaki Rasen no Monogatari
    • WIXOSS, all of it
    • Houkago no Pleiades
    • NORN9 Norn+Nonet
    • Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
    • AMNESIA

As for this cour...

I really liked Ensemble Stars!, it's the second best idol boys anime I've ever seen. Z/X Code reunion failed to meet the excitement and fun levels of it's predecessors (Hina Logi, Ange Vierge, etc).

Kabukichou Sherlock continues into Winter, so we'll see how that goes.
  • edited 2020-01-09 06:07:00
    I didn't expect to ever run across a show about which I'd feel dissatisfied with the animation quality, but there's a first for everything, and the bad luck falls on Z/X Code Reunion.

Though I guess I could see it as a more limited-portrayal thing. Compare other media such as theater and machinima.

Meanwhile, I would love to listen to its soundtrack some more.
    a more limited-portrayal thing

I'd have actually preferred it if some scenes had just been replaced with VN sprites and text on the bottom half of the screen.

I did find the final episode more satisfying than the rest of the show, but it was still marred by the fact that the rest of the show had come before it.

Still, kudos on that twist with Ena.
    > it was still marred by the fact that the rest of the show had come before it.

In what ways do you feel it was marred?
    i feel like i wanted to like this show but i had some of the wrong expectations for it with regards to the kind of story it would tell.
  • edited 2020-01-09 06:44:27
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    The show suffered from having enough time to do what it wanted, but not actually doing much of it in a respectable way.

Take, for example, Muramasa. The first time we see Muramasa, she is crying at having been pawned off on a pay-to-win Samurai (Shuri). She has a certain expectation of those who carries her, and she wishes Shuri was a different person.

Instead of taking time with this plot and developing Shuri a bit more, we got the beach episode that contributed very little aside from the Ena twist. I mean, you could have a beach episode that was also about Shuri, rather than one that rests on the running gag of Yuni's butler being an emotional wreck.

We get all the way to the end of the show without Muramasa having accepted Shuri, only to have it happen when it's most convenient without a decent reason either.

Which leads me back to Yuni in that episode where we learn of Muramasa's anguish. At no point during the show does Yuni ever find the value of hard work, except the very end, yet she gets her Z/X not only to accept her, but to grant her Overboost just because they're in a tough spot with a bear.

Not only does this entire turn of events cheapen Overboost, which is never really given the respect it deserves considering it's the ultimate power between a human and a Z/X, it presents a terrible set of lessons for the viewer. Now, I'm not saying that all TV shows have to present me with a solid moral foundation for their goings on, but you'll certainly feel more connected to something if it presents some decent human lessons in there.

Instead of presenting Overboost as a reward for hard work or a genuine resolve to fight (as was Matoi's case), it ultimately is presented as a slapdash solution to selfish problems. Imagine if Yuni hadn't gotten her Overboost then, and had thoroughly considered why.

I'm not saying she had to immediately realize the value of hard work or undergo a training montage, but maybe she could have realized then and there that there was a time to take things seriously, because you don't get to choose when others begin to take you seriously (like a bear and it's intention to make you dinner).

There's also the fast and loose approach taken with the main conflict of the story, which I want to call barely a conflict on some level. Azumi and Rigel manage to Overboost, again, when it's convenient. At the time, Azumi is yet to improve on her lukewarm attitude towards... basically everything. It only happens because they'd die otherwise, and really, because you can't get to the middle of the show without showing the main product on sale.

Honestly, throughout the show, she never does improve. You never truly get the sense she's grateful to be alive, or to have been chosen by Rigel and the Blue World. She's glad about it, certainly, but her will is weak.

Now, they Overboost midway through and can't again, but you can't really parse out why through the characters actions. We see Rigel hurt once and apparently this is enough to get Azumi to refuse to Overboost again, even though Azumi herself never thinks of the incident more than once and is more concerned with other things. It gives the impression that the protagonist is not weak-willed, but wishy-washy.

To end on a positive note, Ena and Matoi's relationship was a highlight of the show (before it became established, and therefore forgotten). It was nice to see Matoi's backstory properly fleshed out, so we could understand why she would form a bond with Ena. And in a satisfyingly anime way as well!
    i feel like i wanted to like this show but i had some of the wrong expectations for it with regards to the kind of story it would tell.

I knew exactly what type of show it would be (I'd been looking forward to it since it was announced in like mid-2018) and I was still disappointed!
  • edited 2020-01-09 07:07:26
    Well I specifically had run into information about the plot thread that involves Rigel (or her alternate universe self) in Z/X Ignition, and so I had an expectation that this show would explore a similar plot thread -- i.e. the Blue Realm's apparent shades of political jingoism, vs. Rigel's desire to protect Azumi and her refusal to be a pawn in their political schemes. There were hints that it might do this, what with the weird chanting that the undisplayed but voiced higher-ups did a couple times), and thus I was kinda hoping that the main conflict would involve something like Rigel refusing Overboost because she'd be playing into her superiors' agenda if she did. But, of course, it didn't go in this direction.

I can see how some things made you feel that they existed only to be "convenient", though the way I came to assess them was that there were just a bunch of plot threads that were disappointingly left unexplored. Azumi unfortunately ended up as a less interesting lead protagonist, while Matoi and Ena were the most interesting ones.

Meanwhile I would have wanted to learn more about the backstory and the setting. But the show didn't offer much in that way, and mainly just deferred to cute-girls-doing-cute-things antics, particularly playing them against Coach Ira for comedy -- rather than giving me much insight into the way the nature of the Z/X, the lifestyles and atmosphere at the academy, or such.

I did flip back through the first episode and notice something that Nephrite said to Ena the very first time they showed up; I didn't notice at the time but it would have presaged the plot twist, so now I'm wondering if there are other such hints.

I'll probably rewatch this if an English dub comes out for it. I still think it's an interesting show, but I definitely didn't get the enjoyment I wanted out of it.
  • edited 2020-01-09 10:02:09
    the Blue Realm's apparent shades of political jingoism, vs. Rigel's desire to protect Azumi and her refusal to be a pawn in their political schemes.

Did Code Reunion ever really look like a show that would go into this kind of theme? I feel like this might be vaguely relevant with that observation of how anime seems to stay away from conflicts where being anti-government (or anti-authority) and pro-personal freedom are actually good guy traits.

Princess Principal did have a conflict where the main cast had to decide between sticking together or following orders, but this was set in motion by a management shakeup within their organization that only happened late in the show.

The stuff in the toggle box might not even be a spoiler since promo material for the sequel movies suggest they're all still together.
    the Blue Realm's apparent shades of political jingoism, vs. Rigel's desire to protect Azumi and her refusal to be a pawn in their political schemes.

Well yeah, it's still there, but now it's just a running gag.
    I've started watching Idol Densetsu Eriko, because I'm quite the fan of idol anime and I kind of want to look into the history of the genre. I know the real spotlight hog in the history of idol anime is Creamy Mami, but I'd rather go the hipster route.

I'll also want to watch Otogi Idol LilPri at some point in the future, because it's the start of the idol genre I enjoy so much nowadays with the CG performances and emphasis on outfits. Maybe Kirarin Revolution too when I can overcome the whole 100+ episodes thing.
    I recently read the synopsis for Sazae-san, and can't help but notice the irony of people complaining about "feminist" ideology and/or agenda-pushing these days and being oh-so-glad anime is supposedly free of it.