If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    If you want you can crash at my country. Being sincere for a sec, I would like to help you in any way should the need arise.
  • edited 2018-04-16 00:05:25
    Ahh, thank you very much, I'll take that in mind. Panamá is indeed a good option.

Wherever I go, I hope I'll make a good immigrant.
  • edited 2018-04-18 07:02:36
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    (reposted from my post on HH)

The way Biscayne National Park is mostly water feels sorta like how those RPGs or metroidvanias where you have gotten used to walking everywhere but suddenly you find you need some other means of locomotion/transportation to traverse an area which you can preview a little bit of, but only enough to realize you need a new ability to get anywhere.

In this sense, three or all four of South Florida's major national protected areas are kinda like this:
    * Biscayne National Park is mostly water. There are a few land-based access points, and some islands, but otherwise you need to dive or boat to get the most out of it.
    * Everglades National Park is mostly marshland. This has an even "higher" entry requirement -- swimming/diving isn't practical, and not all boats will work either, in these shallow and grassy waters. Wading is probably a hazardous idea due to both alligators and mosquitoes. You need to acquire (by rental, most commonly, or rarely, a purchase) the "airboat" tech item in order to get to most places, though a "kayak" item can do to some extent. However, in the southern parts, around the mangrove forests, you'll still need a "small boat" tech item (e.g. rowboat, small motorboat, kayak). Biting gnats don't help.
    * Dry Tortugas National Monument requires a "large boat" tech item, because it's just so far away from any other point regularly accessible by terrestrial movement.
    * I'm not sure if Big Cypress National Preserve is less water-covered than Everglades NP, but at least much of it is cypress swamp (legit "swamp" because that term refers to wetlands with trees; the Everglades itself is a "marsh" because it's a wetland with mostly grasses and the like (technically sawgrass is a sedge)). Due to the trees, boats of any kind are nearly useless; wading is the only way to get around. Not sure if fewer alligators, but the biting insects are just as prevalent, I think, and panthers and black bears also live here. Technically has a lower technological "level requirement", but it just swaps that out for a higher endurance drain.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    >Ask for an extension
    >Hand in project
    >"You know, you're the first person to get this back to me."

I know a bunch of my fellow students also have real full-time jobs to keep up with, but I can't help but feel a bit of righteous indignation at this sort of thing. Maybe it's because I created a false sense of external pressure on myself and when my professor revealed it wasn't actually there it deflated in a super-unresolved way.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I remember I had some small project my first semester and slapped it together at the last moment thinking, "well this is gonna suck."

The prof was all "well, you're the only person who actually bothered to do it"
  • edited 2018-04-21 16:43:49
    There is love everywhere, I already know
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I have a vague feeling I saw something like this on a jRPG character.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    $470 to look like that? I'd pay 470 bucks to NOT wear that.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    what do the buttons even do?
    I'm not sure, since the top part is clearly stitched together. I guess they could still be functional in some way?
    so apparently people once googlebombed fanfiction.net into being a top search result for the phrase "pit of voles"

like it's supposed to be a bad thing

but...voles are friggin' cute as heck
  • Ha! Ha! I'm using the internet!!!1

It lasted for roughly the same period as last week, maybe it'll be a recurring thing? Anyhows, I have to find things to download to keep in stock for these cases. It'll be like shopping except with internet content.

Also I like those clothes. I'd wear them, if I were in a culture where wearing those wouldn't get me weird looks, but still, I'd wear them.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    whatever floats yer boat
    Fashion is all about self-expression, and Nemeth (the designer) is all about the wearable art.

I mean, I'm the one who's into overalls at all, so who am I to judge.
    Overall, you're into overalls, I guess.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    those are pretty good overalls, overall.
    A really interesting read about the one building that houses most of the people in a small town in Alaska.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/2016/08/18/begich-towers-home-to-about-half-the-population-of-whittier-gets-a-much-needed-overhaul/
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Yep, Whittier is by all means among the more unusual places to live.
  • "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    I want to make a joke about this but I'll have to come up with something Whittier.
    The piece of news coming from Korea, I've gotta say, is what I didn't expect.
    I don't think anybody did.

My favorite listicle site suddenly started espousing some extreme socially conservative ideas. It started with innocent-ish conspiracy lists about the Clintons and now we're up to "genderfluid people are literally going to destroy Western civilization... somehow".

It's really disappointing, but it mostly means I spend more time reading teeny-bopper gossip sites and feeling second-hand (third-hand? fifty-fifth hand?) excitement over Cameron Boyce's latest hairstyle.
  • I don't understand what'll be the outcome of the Korean peninsula apparent peace thing but a lot of people have high hopes for it so yay I guess.

Anyhows, my modem seems to be dying, it sometimes takes several turning on/offs for it to stay on, and this morning it turned off by itself, so *shrug.

Also I've been practicing drawing recently. I think I'm starting to get the hang of figure drawing.
    "We be like diarrhea/all the time lotta new shit"

- best rap lines ever
    Clever, at the very least.

The weirdest thing that has happened since I started my rewatch of Gossip Girl a few months ago is that I've become really interested in Jenny's punk style. There's just something really freeing about living vicariously through a 16 year old girl rebellious character who is actually willing to go to a formal event wearing insane eye-make up and leather gloves.

My favorite piece she's worn so far is probably her knit fingerless gloves. I'd try the style out myself but as a semi-professional everybody will probably think I've lost the plot.
    >UNICEF forms kid's band to promote kid's things
    >Band becomes successful
    >Sell license to toy manufacturers to rake in the $$$

I know this isn't anywhere near as terrible as a lot of things but the UN creating a kid's band as a revenue source is really, really shady.
  • edited 2018-05-03 23:06:18
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    New Jersey is running hard for the Craziest State award.

https://www.app.com/story/news/crime/jersey-mayhem/2018/05/02/robert-merriken-prostitution-arrests/572798002/

I don't have a good idea for a bad pun (a bad idea for a good pun?) with regards to having sex in a cemetery, at the moment.

However, Florida refuses to be outdone.

WARNING: body horror. It's implied even in the link, which is the only thing inside the spoiler.
  • "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    How did I only discover Chromeo just now?
  • My room's air conditioner doesn't work properly, the air conditioner unit doesn't turn off as long as it's powered regardless of what the console does or even whether it's on, this is most likely because something happened to the control board to make it unable to turn it off (it's happened before). It'd be tempting to try and repair it myself, but it doesn't look easy (and I can damage it further) and I don't have soldering equipment anyways.
  • Huh, the problem seems to have gone away. That's good, though I've been thinking about using it much more sparingly anyways. Also I'm worried that if I don't keep it unpowered the compressor might turn on by itself without me being around to do something about it.