If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2017-04-03 03:42:57
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    So apparently there's a series of short videos that introduce the cast of Chain Chronicle, and I'm supposed to have watched it before the main series.  (Unfortunately they're not dubbed.  Oh well...)

Apparently there's also a whole movie first that precedes the series.

Also, Chain Chronicle's "Feena" is also a blue-haired girl, but...her named is spelled Phoena.

----

One problem with watching more Asterisk War is that the ED is no longer "Waiting in the Rain".
  • Why did Donald Trump ever get associated with anime anyway?
  • edited 2017-04-06 04:04:02
    So I've been watching random shit today.

----
    Kinji is a junior at a high school for mercenaries. He just wants to be normal, but his secret condition—he turns into an ace killer when he’s turned on by the female form—triggers a fiery transfer student’s unrelenting desire to make him her partner.

This is why I should avoid reading synopses before starting watching things.

OH C"MON WHY CAN"T SHE BE THE PROTAG INSTEAD

perhaps minus the threatening to gun down everyone part of course

i guess the OP is kinda cool

For some reason MAL doesn't call this a Harem show.  wut

i feel somewhat disappointed; i thought this would be cooler

i mean it certainly looks cool

aria does look pretty awesome

----

the Crowds are a little too strange for my taste.

and that one girl is a little too loud i guess.

kinda cool though i guess.

the music really kicked up a notch when the guy started doing business around the four dragons.

I can see why this friend of mine who likes tokusatsu/sentai stuff likes it.

----

OH HEY LOOK
    https://myanimelist.net/anime/32595/Seisen_Cerberus__Ryuukoku_no_Fatalités
    people are calling this trash.
    clearly i need to watch this

----

"Unfortunately I've had many friends slain by the things they like most, y'know, like liquor and women and jewels and such."
    "Sounds a lot like humans."

Honestly, if we were actually confronted with this sort of crazy fantastical lizardshit actually happening in real life, Kobayashi's response to it might very plausibly be a pretty common response.  Now I don't expect the rest of the setting to adapt to this sudden change in...uh, species composition, I guess (though if it did that would be rather amusing to see).

wait, Kobayashi is so "everyperson" that she doesn't even have a second name

----

I have no idea what Cybuster is, but it certainly opens with a convincing theme song.

----

I wonder why I dropped Plastic Memories the first time around.  Just saw the intro again and it's quite convincing.

oh hey Asami Imai sings the ending theme for this show
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Haha you watched Hidan no Aria.

Also yay I'm still the only person who likes Ryuukoku no Fatalite.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Haha you watched Hidan no Aria.

But...but...http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=604248
  • edited 2017-04-07 07:55:08
    Watching a random magical girl OVA has taught me a little about what kind of things I am compelled to screencap.
    crie
  • huh
    Well, guess I got a quota of random magical girl things to see.
    What show are these last two from?
  • The 2008 Twin Angel OVA and the current Twin Angel TV series.
    Kamito Kazehaya is a normal guy in pretty
    much all respects except for the fact that he's the first man in 1,000
    years to be able to form a contract with a spirit

GET OUT

(which he "stole" from
    a shrine princess named Claire Rouge).

NO HE STOLE IT FROM THE KHMER ROUGE LELELELELELELELELELELELELELELELELELELELELIMADEASTUPIDPUNLELELELELEL
    Oh so I did see six episodes of this and then entirely forgot all the characters names (I actually had to google Claire Rouge).

First arc was okay for this sort of show, but after those four episodes it was really pointless.
    I feel like I'm most likely to have the most typical (of the anime fandom) responses to things if I read their synopses, while if I get introduced a different way I'm more likely to have more unique responses.

----

speaking of getting introduced in different ways:

more anime series dredged up by doing a sporcle quiz (with MUSIC ONLY)

the quiz in question: https://www.sporcle.com/games/kanto/anime-openingending-quiz-2012-2014

NOTE: ALL THE FOLLOWING ANSWERS ARE SPOILERS FOR THIS QUIZ

results:
    the following shows have been bumped up:
  • Railgun S
    But not first season Railgun?
  • edited 2017-04-08 17:11:40
    The first season doesn't have Accelerator.

is probably why.

(edit: oh I thought this was the generic rec thread and not just GMH talking about anime he might watch nvm)
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    Railgun S
    But not first season Railgun?

I've already seen first-season Railgun.
    Hey, what show was it that ends with someone throwing a knife at an upside-down world map?
    Well, the first time I watched the first ep of a certain show, I watched it with a few other friends, who readily dismissed it as "just another wish-fulfillment thing involving ordinary guy ending up in a situation with a cute girl", but so now I just went and watched the first ep of it again, and I have a very different impression -- it seems to be metaphorically about death.  Not death as a character or as a supernatural force, but as a social reality, and with resulting feelings of loss or not wanting to let go.
    ^ That series is Plastic Memories, in case anyone is curious.
  • I'm not sure whether to be more surprised that ViVid Strike was the only one of the magical girl shows of late 2016 sold any decently, or how dramatic the difference is between it and any of the others.
    Though I am never stepping into the vortex that is Nanoha ever again, I'm assuming ViVid Strike! was;
    • fun allthroughout (no murders ie MahouIku)
    • had a coherent plot and coherent characters from the start (didn't lose samplers early on like Flip Flappers)
    • wasn't just a bad rehash of some other stuff with no real identity (Matoi)
    > Though I am never stepping into the vortex that is Nanoha ever again

Is this because you feel it's too toyetic or otherwise made to sell merchandise (as you were saying on IRC earlier) or for some other reason?
    It's not too toyetic, it's built on having lots of characters who have lots of powers and backstories interact with each other talking about those backstories and ogling their new superpowers instead of like, focusing on the plot of here and now and creating new stories.

That's what I got from Lyrical Nanoha ViVid, anyways.
  • edited 2017-04-21 06:09:40

It's not too toyetic, it's built on having lots of characters who have lots of powers and backstories interact with each other talking about those backstories and ogling their new superpowers instead of like, focusing on the plot of here and now and creating new stories.

That's what I got from Lyrical Nanoha ViVid, anyways.

...ehh, not really?  Well the one series I didn't watch is ViVid, but I didn't get the "ogling their new superpowers" sense from ViVid Strike at all (how the superpowers work is sort of just assumed), and there's sort of what I think is just a regular amount of superpower-ogling in the first season and not much that I can remember from A's or StrikerS.

Maybe the audience is subjected to more of it than the  from things like transformation sequences and spell animations, but the characters certainly don't spend that much time talking about/mulling over it.

Well actually I guess you could say they do in StrikerS since upgrades are part of their training and they do get some new stuff, but to me that was part of the story.

And backstory, yeah, there's definitely a lot of that, but that's what I like about the stories; they really go into depth about the characters' backstories and really humanize them.  That part really shines in ViVid Strike.  And it's because of that backstory that the things happening "here and now" are happening and it's also based on that backstory that the protagonists make their decisions to try to change things (and thereby "create new stories" I guess).

This does lead to StrikerS having a long build-up time until the major conflict really breaks out in spades (though it IS built up to too, alongside the characters' just doing things, since they do run into pieces of the antagonists' plans multiple times and there is action when that happens), but I guess slow-burn shows that really get intense later on when everything comes together are sort of my thing.  That seems consistent with my complaining that one cour isn't enough time to tell a good story, and also my appreciation of Eureka Seven's first two cours which do have extended periods of relatively slow plot advancement but that just makes the finale of the first half that much more intense and worth it in my opinion.  I think it's because it gives me time to really get used to and get to know the characters, and the Nanoha series seems to play straight to those tastes.
  • edited 2017-04-21 06:20:22
    ViVid Strike is also really unclear on whether anybody besides the main two are new with how many characters just show up with their name written on the screen and proceed to not do much.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    ViVid Strike is also really unclear on whether anybody besides the main two are new with how many characters just show up with their name written on the screen and proceed to not do much.

Well it's pretty much all about the two of them, so...

(also this is a problem that could be solved by having more time to go into character backstories, such as having two cours instead of one)
  • edited 2017-04-21 07:02:58
    I don't think that would've solved anything, considering that the specifics of anybody else's backstories never exactly came into play, besides Nove's which the show was weirdly obtuse about.
    Nove's backstory in that show is simply that she can't compete because of her body, which is a plausible reason as far as real life goes.

The specific way that it's "because of her body" isn't realistic, though, but I figured that part doesn't really matter much to anyone who's starting with ViVid Strike.  (spoiler: )
  • It doesn't make much sense without the specifics as it sounds like she's physically incapable, which would contradict how she seems healthy enough to train anybody.
  • edited 2017-04-21 07:30:25
    To be fair that applies to Jill too, because Jill literally says she had an injury that prevented her from going into the competitive big leagues.  And from what I know, that IS actually a thing that happens in real life, and isn't even all that rare.  At least several of these athletes even continued playing after severe injuries, though they found their physical capabilities diminished.  Training would be far less demanding and still able to keep them involved in a sport they enjoy.