If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• I owned this game a long time ago, before being thrown out of canada, but being able to own it again is nice.
  • edited 2016-10-21 01:25:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    http://original.livestream.com/gmhschannel

streaming Super Metroid now, for the next hour and half or so

when people show up, of course
  • edited 2016-10-21 01:35:28
    gonna postpone the stream a bit because no one's around to watch yet
  • edited 2016-10-21 17:07:51
    XSEED has been working on an English-language release of Falcom's 2005 PC game Xanadu Next.  Falcom (better known for its Ys and Legend of Heroes series) makes about one of these Xanadu games every decade.

XSEED recently launched a website promoting and providing information on the game: http://xanadunext.com/

The "History" page is for you if you're looking for information on the franchise and how it fits into Falcom's other offerings.  The rest of the pages are about the game itself and its features.
  • edited 2016-10-21 20:34:21
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    The announcement trailer for Dawn of War III is quite impressive. Instead of the typical serial beat-up, they went for, well, still a battle scene (whaddya expect from Warhammer), but heavily surreal and obviously inspired by paintings of Z. Beksiński. The music too goes away from the Poledouris-ersatz standard. Yeah, I guess I know I'm not here with the freshest news, but whatever.
  • edited 2016-10-22 02:58:08
    actually streaming this time: http://original.livestream.com/gmhschannel

edit: stream over.  covered: Super Metroid: all of Maridia (including bosses), plus half of lower Norfair.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    So it turns out that Mega Man ZX doesn't unlock Hard difficulty for beating it on Easy.

So I guess I'll have to start with Normal if I want to start something.
  • I've been really enjoying Paper Mario: Color Splash lately. I get the early criticisms that it would basically be Sticker Star 2, but honestly it solves a huge number of problems with Sticker Star with just a few minor tweaks, like a greater emphasis on witty dialogue and rewarding battles with extra paint capacity.

Of course, it probably also helps that I've never allowed my expectations of the series after Thousand-Year Door to be unreasonably high, since TTYD is my favorite game of all time.
    http://original.livestream.com/gmhschannel streaming for about an hour
  • edited 2016-10-23 04:03:06
    And we're done!  Literally, with Super Metroid, which I 100%'d for the first time with an in-game time of 4 hours 59 minutes.  Thanks to UE and magic supercow for telling me where all the items were and helping me learn how to navigate Maridia, and thanks to everyone who tuned in!
    Fun fact: Ridley in Ceres Station has 32767 HP.  And he always has 32767 HP because it resets every frame.  The only ways to "defeat" him are for Samus's HP to drop below 30 (at which point he flies away) or for him to get hit 100 times (at which point he drops the metroid larva and picks it back up and then flies away).

Source: http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,611.msg8090.html?PHPSESSID=ae225a8e0b740993597efdb9765c08f0#msg8090
  • edited 2016-10-27 07:43:22
    TAKE THAT!!
    TAKE%20THAT_zpsv5srg9y7.png
    HECK%20YEAH_zpsmo1nccdf.png
    HECK YEAH!!

Background info: This is a battle against a very tough boss that you're supposed to lose at this point in the game.  If you win, which requires a lot of grinding and/or careful preparation and strategy, you get rewarded with this particular villain's sword, which is a very powerful weapon.

(How powerful?  In a game where your next weapon upgrade is usually within a few points of attack stat higher, or maybe 10 to 20 if you've purposely been waiting for a weapon that has a particularly good skill, this one goes up by 122...and has a skill that lets you strike 8 times in a row.)

Unfortunately, even if you do win and get your reward, he proceeds to do this and the plot proceeds as scheduled.
    screw%20you_zpsun7f8r0c.png
  • edited 2016-10-27 19:47:54
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/456760

the gameplay seems interesting but the story is just...2 weeb 4 me

also i like my dragon girls strong, independent, with leadership qualities, and engaging in things like kicking ass and sassing the fuck out of everything
  • ^ Eh, the gameplay there doesn't seem to be all that different from Tales of Phantasia.
  • Been playing through a lot of Final Fantasy Theatrhythm: Curtain Call lately. It's a solid game, but the downside is that it has way too many of its songs as DLC.
  • I have a story mode clear on youtube and I tried to hold a versus tournament. It's one of my fave games.
  • edited 2016-11-24 18:48:29
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    It's Steam Sale time again! Games I'm probably going to pick up over the weekend:
    • Sokobond (-70% off)
    • The Floor is Jelly (-80% off)
    • Eternal (actually free-to-play, but I'll include it on the list just because)
    In addition, you can also nominate games for the Steam Awards (eight predetermined categories, plus one write-in category). My choices:
    • The "Test of Time" Award: SpaceChem (runner-up: Dustforce)
    • The "I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye" Award: Transistor (runners-up: Owlboy, Ori and the Blind Forest)
    • The "Just 5 More Minutes" Award: Dustforce (runner-up: Civilization V)
    • The "Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!" Award: Undertale
    • The "Villain Most In Need Of A Hug" Award: Bastion (runner-up: Undertale)
    • The "Game Within A Game" Award: Garry's Mod
    • The "I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award" Award: Mini Metro (runner-up: Contraption Maker)
    • The "Best Use Of A Farm Animal" Award: Worms Armageddon, as a representative for the series as a whole. Exploding sheep. Enough said.
    • The "I Can't Wait Until Next Year" Award: Pyre (runner-up: Rock of Ages 2)
    Owlboy gets an honorable mention for both "I'm Not Crying" and "Whoooaaaaaaa". I haven't played it yet, and I haven't gone out of my way to view spoilers, but I have seen bits and pieces... it's just that one of those bits happens to be (major spoilers) the destruction of Advent, which, holy shit.
    • The "Test of Time" Award: Psychonauts
    • The "I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye" Award: Trails in the Sky SC
    • The "Just 5 More Minutes" Award: Snakebird
    • The "Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!" Award: Antichamber
    • The "Villain Most In Need Of A Hug" Award: Undertale
    • The "Game Within A Game" Award: Deus Ex: Human Revolution (I really liked the hacking)
    • The "I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award" Award: Ys Origin
    • The "Best Use Of A Farm Animal" Award: Goat Simulator
    • The "Doing Very Much With Very Little" Award: Thomas Was Alone
  • edited 2016-11-29 06:49:02

My current nominations:

• The "Test of Time" Award: Trails in the Sky (FC)
    • The "I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye" Award: Ys Origin (runners-up: fault milestone one, Eternal Senia)
    • The "Just 5 More Minutes" Award: Terraria
    • The "Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!" Award: La-Mulana
    • The "Villain Most In Need Of A Hug" Award: Eternal Senia (runner-up: Finding Teddy)
    • The "Game Within A Game" Award: Team Fortress 2  Recettear
    • The "I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award" Award: 100% Orange Juice vs. Recettear, currently
    • The "Best Use Of A Farm Animal" Award: Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
    • The "I Can Finally Play This On PC" Award: Tales of Symphonia (runner-up: "I Can Finally Play This On PC In English", for Trails in the Sky (FC)

I really want to give some kind of award to Ys Origin, but I don't know where to properly put it.  I didn't know about it before Oath came out on Steam (though I did play Oath before it got on Steam).  But 100% OJ is something I got back before it came out on Steam, and I even completed the original game.  Recettear was a gift from JBridge back when it became part of that infamous bundle that made it strike it big.
    Restarted playing Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled.

I already knew about this but all the dialogue of the early-game has driven it home again: your starting main character is a magic-less person in a world where everyone has magic.  Most people look down on him for that (though partly because attack magic actually works on non-magic people in this world and so he's seen as less competent, and partly because there was a big war not long ago whose enemies were led by a traitorous magic-less person from this kingdom).

So yeah.  Racism by magic-using people against magic-less people.  I wonder where I've seen that recently.
  • ^ fucking unicorns oppressing the proletariat
  • This one's for @glennmagusharvey:

The developers of La-Mulana recently revealed in a backer-exclusive Kickstarter update for La-Mulana 2 what the Mother looked like before she fell to Earth.
    So, like an even more insane Tiamat, basically.
    Anyone got opinions on the PC D&D3.5 game Temple of Elemental Evil?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    A fun prologue based on the party alignment. That's all I can say for now though.
    Gergoth found many interesting ways to kill me.  The second-best is by killing me when slamming its head into the ground after falling seven stories.  The best is by killing me when pulling its head out of the ground after slamming its head into the ground after falling seven stories.
  • edited 2016-12-11 10:41:35
    So, like an even more insane Tiamat, basically.
    Lore-wise it's heavily implied that Tiamat was a member of the First Children of the Mother, who were said to have been the most similar to her... so yeah.