If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Shmups: Battle Garegga, Caladrius Blaze, Cardinal Sins, Dangun Feveron, Deathsmiles, Deltazeal, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Eschatos, Exzeal, Gun Wings, The Hurricane of Varstray: Collateral Hazard, Judgement Silversword: Resurrection, Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo, Minus Zero, Mushihimesama, Raiden IV: Overkill, Raiden V, Shmups Skill Test, Strania: The Stella Machina, Touhou Kanjuden: Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom, Trizeal Remix, XIIZeal.

Music: Beatmania IIDX 23: Copula, Dance Dance Revolution A

Life is too good.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Been playing Varstray lately too, myself.

Someone described it as "bullet heaven", in contrast to "bullet hell".  I think the point is to play it for score?  It's kinda nastily chaotic but that seems to fit right into that playstyle notion.
  • The point is *always* to play for score. :D
  • Been obscessing with World of Warcraft lately. Playing a monk and I intend to level my rogue alt at some point. So far Legion has been lots of fun, with lots of stuff to do all the time out, usually in the open, it made me remember that I have friends with all the world quests we've set out to do together. Been making shitloads of money stuffing the auction house with herbs and leather, I don't think I have to mind the monthly subscription anymore. Just started doing Heroics, hopefully I won't lag too much behind if we get around to doing raids. Haven't PVPed much tho, which is unusual since it's usually what I look forward to.
  • edited 2016-09-09 15:08:12
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    The point is *always* to play for score. :D

As far as shmups go...
    * I'm still playing eXceed 3rd for survival...though now without autobomb.
    * And I sometimes revisit RefleX for survival, or for challenge.  The "don't kill anything" challenge is really difficult because it involves learning a new set of strategies to dodge the blue shots rather than run into them.
    * Gotta get around to playing Astebreed sometime.
    * Haven't picked up Gun Wings and Strania yet.  For some reason, I mentally group Gun Wings, Strania, and Varstray.
  • edited 2016-09-09 16:04:07
    So apparently it's NOT possible to get all the score items AND survive, in at least Keen 4.  You can't jump out of the pit at the end of this video, even with the pogo, as far as I can tell.  UNLESS there's an exit there that the video doesn't use.

Bit of a disappointment.  Still though there are some interesting areas in the Keen games that I've always wondered how to get to.  I wonder what secrets there are in them.

Kinda like how I noticed early on in Secret Agent episode 3 that there's one level where you can't get the letters S, P, and Y in order without taking damage -- which means you have to choose between the bonus for no damage and the SPY letters bonus.

also lol it turns out you actually can't get these without cheating

• I got some pretty ebin huge scores in Raiden, Raiden II, Raiden DX (Training and Novice, no Expert yet), and Samurai Aces. And world records in Kamui (Menace) and Touhou Fuumaroku: Story of Eastern Wonderland (Lunatic). I also became a Shooting Game Weekly host. /vg/ talks shit about me now, which is means I'm popular. :) Like many shooting game players, I've also jumped on the Bemani bandwagon. Bemani rules. Too bad Konami and Bemaniso are so stingy.
    haha I just play Stepmania

I actually dug it up and installed Stepmania 5 and added some new stepfile packs and I've been messing around with it a bit lately.

I tried Audiosurf first, actually, and it just...doesn't quite give that same feel.
  • Stepmania is fun! People sure like to make some bullshit charts though, lol.

Stepmania is fun! People sure like to make some bullshit charts though, lol.

That and sometimes their timing is off or their they just chart stuff the wrong way (e.g. offbeats placed on downbeats).

But part of the challenge, to some extent, is figuring out the chartmaker's logic.  Sometimes it's based on the melody, but sometimes it's based on some part of the accompaniment that's less obvious, making it more challenging to get through it.

Also Stepmania 5 has a setting that causes you to lose more health bar when you make a mistake while perfect, which makes stuff harder to survive.  Like there's this particularly insane stepfile of Marisa Stole The Precious Thing that I used to be able to survive (in Stepmania 4) but now I have to do better at it to get through it.
  • I tried Audiosurf first, actually, and it just...doesn't quite give that same feel.

Audiosurf isn't really a rhythm game at all, but you kind of expect it to be, which is maybe the problem. I think it's sort of fun but autogenerated levels in a music game is just not great.

I liked Stepmania. I should play more of it. Really the only reason I don't is because I never remembered to reinstall it after I got a new computer. I used to think I don't like 4-key that genre game as much as 6/7-key so I preferred playing osu!mania but now whenever I play osu!mania it's usually 4-key so might as well just actually play Stepmania.
    Do any of y'all have a dance pad, and if so, do you have a brand that you think is decent or that you'd recommend?
  • edited 2016-09-11 04:25:41
    Pika Girl
    These are pretty good for beginners: http://dancepadmania.com/shop/

On the other hand, if you want to step your game up (probably level 10+ AAA scores) you could invest in something hardcore: http://www.precisiondancepads.com/index.php?id_category=12&controller=category&id_lang=1
  • Been obscessing with World of Warcraft lately. Playing a monk and I intend to level my rogue alt at some point. So far Legion has been lots of fun, with lots of stuff to do all the time out, usually in the open, it made me remember that I have friends with all the world quests we've set out to do together. Been making shitloads of money stuffing the auction house with herbs and leather, I don't think I have to mind the monthly subscription anymore. Just started doing Heroics, hopefully I won't lag too much behind if we get around to doing raids. Haven't PVPed much tho, which is unusual since it's usually what I look forward to.

Illidan is one of my favourite characters, and part of the reason I eventually gave up on WoW was because Blizzard said "Hmm, we need a raid boss, so how about we just turn Illidan into a completely evil psychopath so players will have an excuse to fight him?" I played Warcraft III before WoW, and that was my introduction to Illidan Stormrage. It upset me how much they derailed him and that he was just killed off instead of being redeemed.

Years later, the story of Legion is giving me hope that maybe this character I loved so much will actually turn out okay. For one thing, he's back from the dead, and at the time of this post he's helping to fight the Burning Legion. I don't know where Blizzard will take this, but I'll be keeping track of developments in the story. If it ends with Illidan both alive and once again siding with the good guys (and without Maiev or anybody else trying to condemn him to more millennia of torment) then I might start playing again.
  • edited 2016-09-17 07:55:37
    Yah, Blizzard is pretty bad when it comes to giving non-completely-evil characters reasons to turn into raid bosses beyond becoming mad and/or corrupted.

That thing people used to say about how Blizzard was being too cheap in killing characters and would run out of them seems to have turned true considering how they're being resurrected (either literally or indirectly such as in Warlords of Draenor). Illidan's case is particularly cheap in that the devs stated how you wouldn't actually kill him.

So far we've gotten lots of elaborate quests about Illidan's backstory, at any rate.
  • The OOC dialogue in the Black Temple fight was funny. XD

Some of his story rang a bell from reading Richard Knaak's novels a long time ago. But they didn't seem to make it clear that Illidan met Sargeras and had his eyes burnt away because he pretended to switch sides and work for the Legion, to better get in position to sabotage them.

Anyway yes, it sucks that they did it to other characters too. I remember feeling very sorry for Malygos; poor guy gets traumatized to the point he's driven mad, stays insane for thousands of years (or however long it was), and when he finally regains his sanity he becomes a Well-Intentioned Extremist who the game says has to be killed.

If they're gonna kill off a character, they should have him go out like a boss instead of like a raid boss. I.e. like Varian did.
  • edited 2016-09-30 08:43:21
    So I came up with a list of twelve games I want to finish before I move onto other things.  I mean, I gotta find some way to get a handle on that big backlog.  I bought all these games and I mean to play them sometime...

Actually I just beat one.  And I'll come back and update the following list when I beat more.

----

Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled (JRPG, DS, 2009, Studio Archcraft, Graffiti Entertainment, Canada)
    Current position: some mountainside, I forgot the name
    Completion condition: main story condition
    Note: might take a while since this game's battles are rather slow

La-Mulana (2D exploration platformer, PC, 2005/2011, GR3/Nigoro, Playism, Japan)
    Current
    position: hard to describe or even remember what with the complex mesh
    of dependencies this game has but I've beaten four bosses.
    Completion
    condition: defeating the final boss, and possibly also getting 100% of
    something? depends on whether I need to deal with Hell Temple, which I
    refuse to deal with.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC (JRPG, PC, 2004, Nihon Falcom, Nihon Falcom, Japan)
    Current position: about halfway through the first chapter, of five
    Completion condition: any% completion, followed by a possible Max Bracer Points completion

Lufia II (JRPG, SNES, 1995, Neverland, Taito, Japan)
    Current position: triangle island
    Completion condition: main story completion

Metroid Prime (3D exploration platformer, GameCube, 2002, Retro Studios, Nintendo, USA/Japan)
    Current position: Phazon mine?
    Completion condition: 100% scans
    Note: I might restart this

[FINISHED] Nostalgia (JRPG, DS, 2008, Matrix Software/Red Entertainment, Ignition Entertainment, Japan)
    Current position: Just reached completion condition!  I might go for full 100% later
    Completion condition: main story completion + 100% World Treasures

Pokémon Crystal Emu Edition (adventure/strategy, GameBoy Color, 2001, Game Freak, The Pokémon Company, Japan)
    Current position: 4 badges in Johto, just cleared Team Rocket base in Mahogany town, Pokédex 90/251 (including all Unown forms)
    Completion condition: full Pokédex completion (all 251)

Recettear: an Item Shop's Tale (sim/action RPG, PC, 2007, EasyGameStation, Carpe Fulgur, Japan)
    Current position: halfway through second attempt in main game (likely to be easily successful this time)
    Completion
    condition: first-loop the main game, then use New Game + repeatedly to
    accumulate all adventurers' True Cards, and complete the Item
    Encyclopedia (this is likely to take a while since some items appear
    only as random rare item drops from dungeon monsters and others appear
    only as random sellback items from customers, including crazy scam girl)

Tales of Symphonia (JRPG/action, GameCube/PC, 2004, Namco Tales Studio, Namco, Japan)
    Current position: escaped from high-tech base, entering fire dungeon
    Completion condition: main story completion?

Terranigma (action RPG, SNES, 1995, Quintet, Nintendo, Japan)
    Current position: the beginning of Spain?
    Completion condition: main story completion with extras?
    Note: I think I'll restart this just to make sure I got a couple secrets

[UNFUN TO FINISH] Unepic (2D exploration platformer/action RPG, PC, Francisco Téllez de Menenses et al., EnjoyUp/Ninagamers, 2011)
    Current position: about to fight Medeox

Ys II (action RPG, PC, 988/2009, Nihon Falcom, Nihon Falcom, Japan)
    Current position: second dungeon or first? also lighting towns people on fire and then giving them gifts to make up for it
    Note: might just restart since I stopped really early into the game

----

I'm probably going to tackle Unepic and Terranigma next.
  • [FINISHED] Nostalgia (JRPG, DS, 2008, Matrix Software/Red Entertainment, Ignition Entertainment, Japan)
    Current position: Just reached completion condition!  I might go for full 100% later

Ah man, I forgot that game existed. I always found it irksome how the black mage character ended up becoming the weakest offensively by the end of the game.
  • More WoW.

We beat Xavius (i.e. the current biggest boss) in Normal (i.e. the easiest difficulty using pre-made groups), thus cleansing the Nightmare and restoring the Emerald Dream to its former splendor. Good times.

Besides that, I made a Death Knight alt. And I kinda want to learn more about finances to figure out how to make the best out of the Auction House. Also, I finally figured out how to set the client to French, it's something I wanted to do for years and will greatly help me practice.
    Zennistrad wrote: »
    [FINISHED] Nostalgia (JRPG, DS, 2008, Matrix Software/Red Entertainment, Ignition Entertainment, Japan)

Ah man, I forgot that game existed. I always found it irksome how the black mage character ended up becoming the weakest offensively by the end of the game.

Nah, rather it's just that the two physical attackers just get far too nice toys to play with.  And then there's all the airship battles where Fiona is useless because everything has magic defense through the roof.

Anyway, just...not-quite-finished Unepic.  I've gotten to the endgame, but the endgame is just...rather unfun to play because I built my character up as a jack-of-all-trades sort rather than optimizing anything well and thus I have crap damage output.  This matters because I need to get through the forest while other character is playing tower defence back at the castle, and getting through the forest means lots of killing things at range and now I find out I need an excellent bow and an absolute crapton of arrows.  I also need to not fall down and have to start back over, and the movement is sometimes rather awkward.

Incidentally, I picked the fate of "eternal agony", as opposed to "horrible death" and "perpetual slavery", for the ending.  The ending specifies what that "eternal agony" is, but I think it came a lot sooner for my player-character.

So I now declare this game "unfun to finish" so it will be put down and no longer considered for finishing.

The list is now down to ten items.
  • edited 2016-09-30 22:29:33
    I think I might have a problem.

I can't seem to find my old Lufia II save file.  It's gonna be restart-or-bust on that one.  Same with Terranigma, but I was planning on restarting that one anyway.

On the bright side, I can start with the EU version to ensure that the graphics are set right.
    I might have another big problem.  I can't seem to find my flash drive.  That's where I have my Pokémon Crystal saves.  So that might be something else I need to start over.

The saves on my SNES games are way old but this is pretty recent.  My flash drive also contains a bunch of important documents so I would really like to find it.
  • edited 2016-10-03 05:06:13
    Been playing Recettear.

Finally was able to clear that section of the Amber Garden.  I think it's levels 16-20, because it ends in the Volcanicrab boss.  I'm playing as Caillou, who is a glass cannon and who is also a slow walker, so yeah.  Good thing is, now that I know how to play him, I think I know how to deal with the next two sections of Amber Garden.  (And after beating levels 26-30 that should unlock a new adventurer as well.)

I'm three days away from a payment deadline and I can generate about 100,000 pix per day.  My payment required is 200,000 pix, so that probably means one more adventure and then shopping/selling.  This time around I'm far less desperate to get the money, which is a good thing.

I still haven't cleared the game even one time so I am really excited to be making progress toward it.

Meanwhile, come to think of it, my very first Pokémon Blue save file got lost when the cartridge sorta fell while I was playing it on the SNES SGB so I had to start over after getting to Lavender Town, too...so starting over is a bit of a rite of passage I guess.
  • I would very much recommend against trying to 100% the encyclopedia in Recettear unless you're willing to hack the loot table.  I'm at like 96% and I've yet to see a single Omega Ferromin -- you need 3 for the last armor.
    Bee wrote: »
    I would very much recommend against trying to 100% the encyclopedia in Recettear unless you're willing to hack the loot table.  I'm at like 96% and I've yet to see a single Omega Ferromin -- you need 3 for the last armor.

Okay I might stop at getting all characters' true cards and revealing all of the story.
    200,000 pix payment made (and quite easily, unlike the first time I played this).  Tielle is now a customer (though not yet a selectable adventurer).  I did a boss rush of Amber Garden with Caillou which ended in failure because I failed to beat Tielle again since I didn't have food to stuff his face with...but did net me both a Slime Liver and a Slime Stone (+1, even), so I took it.  Good thing I was high level enough to carry back two items.  Also Charme has been buying up some better equipment.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-08 19:18:53
    Caillou is the best character by far to fight Tielle.  Remember, you get a generous invincibility frame when activating Sparkburst, and Tielle doesn't knockdown after taking two hits like every other character boss.

Sparkburst the boxes to find her.  Approach her at a diagonal, then walk into her line of sight at point-blank range.  She'll fire immediately -- you Sparkburst to null the hit, then unload the full thing in her face.  She dies pretty much instantly.
  • Blue Revolver is so good. I think I'm in love. Anyone who likes good shmoops, you can get it here.
    http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-story-of-playism-part-1-indies-in-japan

I've been active in the western fanbase for Japanese indie games, but this is an interesting article about the flipside of that -- the effort to build a Japanese fanbase for western indie games.