If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• edited 2015-02-12 00:19:41
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I think I know why tap-to-click is so prevalent despite how much I hate it.

I think that a number of people operate touchpads by keeping their finger on the touchpad and moving it quite a bit more than I do, to move the cursor.  This has the effect of using more of the touchpad area, despite its potential to run out of space.

On the other hand, I seem to have a habit of using a smaller area of the touchpad, but moving the cursor in many separate smaller movements.

This doesn't really have much difference, except when adjusting for overshooting.  I start to make really small finger-strokes on the touchpad, and a touchpad that has tap-to-click enabled frequently instead interprets me as clicking things.  However, for a person who has kept their finger on the touchpad for a continuous motion, the touchpad already is in "movement" mode and doesn't misinterpret their strokes.
  • I regret teaching my mother tap-to-click when she got her first laptop, because now she doesn't seem to realize that she can actually click on things with the physical buttons when that's easier to do.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Does anyone know how to enable the confirmation dialog for ending processes with the Delete key in Windows 8.1's Task Manger?

Choosing to end process with mouse right click -> End Process will produce the...wait...

never mind it just doesn't do this for the Processes tab, regardless of keyboard or mouse.  the Details tab works just as it used to.
    It seems that buying MP3s on Amazon forces you to use their one-click ordering feature.

...which is a feature I hate.
  • edited 2015-02-27 00:56:20
    Furthermore, Amazon forces you to use an Amazon Music app to download music.

Well, the only reason I'm gonna even touch this is because I love Falcom's music too much yet also don't want to touch iTunes.
  • You can actually download music from their web music player (at least, you could last time I bought music on Amazon, which was admittedly months ago so it could have changed). It's just sort of tedious since you have to download songs one at a time.
    Dropbox remembers the folder where I put stuff.

This would be all fine and dandy, except when I tell Dropbox to stop synching and then manually move the folder myself, I can't just tell it to start reading the new folder.  It gets irrevocably confused.
  • Boo, Cryptowall (a virus that encrypts your stuff then asks for money to decrypt) encripted a large bunch of my files. I hope I didn't lose anything important. Hopefully it's gone now.
    Pages on theguardian.com seem to be crashing Waterfox 36.  Specifically, scrolling down to about the "More info" section on articles causes it to crash.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    For some reason, my browser puts the Facebook logo on the tag with IJBM.
  • For me it's Google's favicon. How bizarre.
    I get a blank dotted-line box.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    It probably has something to do with the site that was previously opened in the tab, or the site that was in the active tab when you opened new one for IJBM. Something like that, seems like.
  • a little muffled
    In Firefox at least, sometimes the wrong favicon can come when you switch from one page to another before the first page finishes loading, and then the second page's favicon doesn't load properly. I've had it before with this site, and others.

Right now IJBM's favicon looks fine for me in the bookmark bar, but doesn't show up on the tab. So I guess the favicon here is broken.
  • The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm
    Nyktos wrote: »
    Right now IJBM's favicon looks fine for me in the bookmark bar, but doesn't show up on the tab. So I guess the favicon here is broken.
    Fix'd. Forgot it was loaded into the theme, so I just recopied it to /favicon.pngico so themes don't break it anymore.
  • edited 2015-03-28 17:27:05
    Why the fuck did people develop "view this part to load more" webpages?

They're horribly, horribly obnoxious when scrolling quickly to get a sense of what's on the page.

Why not "click to see more", or load the complete page first, and that's it?
  • Scroll-loaders and lazy-loading in general preserve bandwidth and make the initial page load quicker.  On most occasions, people only look at the first handful of items if they even stay in the landing page at all, and the "complete page" could be hundreds or thousands of items long.

Of course, that doesn't mean much if the page is full of bloatware, laggy flash banners, superfluous notifications, and heavy analytics scripts on the side that are already eating your CPU and plugging up your outgoing pipe sending marketing data to 20+ sites.  Most browsers cap and queue the number of concurrent file requests, even if they're asynchronous.  When you see page lag for a scroll-loader, it's often because your browser is waiting for everyone else's shit to come back and advance the queue before it even fires off the XHR for the thing you actually want.

Lazy-loading tends to be more useful in business web apps, where the data is a lot more sprawling, but the call is nice and compact and you don't have all this bullshit going on in the background.  I've implemented a few myself -- they're surprisingly easy to hook up.  If you fire the request with a good 60-100 px from the current bottom and use a good library like AngularJS to render new content, the total time for there, back, and rendering 100+ rows of a table is barely the amount of time it takes you to finish getting to the bottom.  Of course, unless you're expecting most users to have overwhelming amounts of feed data accumulated (Facebook, etc), it's a good idea to include a "load all" button.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-03-28 23:37:22
    Here, I went to Facebook to demonstrate.  This is what the initial page load looks like on just the login page.  Before you've even signed in and have access to content.

This is the download timeline.  Notice how it goes in big chunks.  There are a lot of reasons it can do that, usually either a) dynamic population needing the results of previous XHR calls to know what you have access to, or b) clogged request queue.

In this case, it seems to be the latter.

This is just the javascript that it needs to start running.  There are 21 of them, mostly very small (a couple KB or less).  Your request queue backs up quickly and you get sort of a stair-step effect in the network times because even though they're all asynchronous and don't need to come back in order, the queue forces you to essentially make a set of round-trips anyway.

This is a terrible way to structure things, by the way -- they're all minified so they obviously have some kind of compressor, but many compressors let you concatenate multiple minified files into one or two specifically to prevent this.

Again -- this all before you even log in.  Once it has your data, it grabs an even bigger set of scripts and stylesheets, then starts shitting XHR everywhere for chat updates, notifications, ads, and marketing analytics.  A couple of them appeared to be rather slow coming back.  So when you scroll to the bottom of the page and request more data, it often gets caught in the queue behind laggy market whoring for a good second or so before it even fires off -- or worse, a poorly-optimized Flash ad is eating your CPU so badly that the script listeners themselves are delayed.

If it didn't have that jam in the way, chances are you'd barely notice the scroll-load.  It's probably one of the quicker things on the page to begin with because they can cache your next page before you ask for it.
  • edited 2015-03-30 00:20:29
    Do a Youtube video search.

You'll get a page of search results.

Mouse over the name of any video.  You should see a URL displayed in the corner or status bar of your browser.  Right-click this and you'll get a normal context menu.

Now move the cursor so that it is just above the link to the video.  You may notice that the cursor is still a hand as if it were over a link, but the URL is no longer displayed by your browser.

Right-clicking now produces two things:
    1. you produce a normal (non-link) context menu
    2. the page goes to the video page, as if you'd clicked the link itself.

why #2?
    why?
    why does CLICKING SOMEWHERE THAT'S NOT THE LINK make me GO TO THE LINK?
  • edited 2015-04-03 09:27:47
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So, I've updated my notebook's audio-video drivers, and now I can't set the volume through the function key. Currently searching for a driver version that works roughly as the old one did. Oh well.

----

edit: looks like the simplest solution worked. Needed a system restart to fix up.

• For some reason, when I double-click on an Excel file...Excel pops up with no file open. The only way to get it to open a file is to use the "Open" menu in Excel.

This doesn't happen with any of the other Microsoft Office programs, so I can't figure out what the deal is.
    You know what guys,for some time Facebook suggests me groups that cater to some of my interests. Which wouldn't be weird, if not for the fact I wasn't looking for them on Facebook, I've been using the Duck for searches, and the only thing I can remember doing that could have a clear link to that is the local (ie. not Ebay) auction portal. You guys think they might've had their search run by Google, or what? Would be kind of creepy otherwise. It's not like I mind stalking in general, it's when others stalk me that is mild concerning.
  • They track you with the Like button on other sites -- whether or not you click it or even have an account.
  • Does blocking Facebook widgets actually help?
  • edited 2015-04-13 01:58:22
    > find textbook i want on half.ebay.com
    > add it to my (virtual, on the site) shopping cart
    > sign in
    > go to checkout
    > checkout fails
    > close and restart browser because checkout failed repeatedly
    > item is not in shopping cart, nor available to be selected in the store

I don't know how long an item stays in the cart...I hope not that long.

Edit: I think it stays in the cart for about two hours.
  • edited 2015-04-14 12:58:25
    My arms are falling off!
    [edit: nah, I don't feel like ranting about Twitter for iPad]

So it's 2015 and the Facebook apps for tablets and smartphones, as well as their browser equivalents, still don't permit applying post visibility to multiple friend lists like the desktop website does. 

For example, say I have two friend lists, List A and List B, the union of which doesn't comprise everyone on my friends list. On the desktop site, I can restrict post visibility to A and B, or just either A or B. No such luck on mobile and tablet versions of FB, which force me to choose A or B but not both.

Meanwhile, all versions of Google+ have allowed choosing more than one contact list when deciding post visibility since their respective beginnings.
  • Naas_Human wrote: »
    Does blocking Facebook widgets actually help?

If your block list is comprehensive enough, yeah, it'll catch both their content and their scripts.  This article spells it out a bit more clearly and links to some tools like Disconnect or Adblock lists.

http://lifehacker.com/5843969/facebook-is-tracking-your-every-move-on-the-web-heres-how-to-stop-it
    Why is it that when I manually deny cookie requests in Firefox (and derivative browsers) -- by holding down Alt+D when all those cookie requests come up when visiting a given webpage -- one cookie inevitably gets through, so after a while I see requests to "set a second cookie" or "modify an existing cookie"?
  • A better question is why are you manually denying cookie requests instead of using Ghostery or some other such filtering thing?