If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• I'm really needing an external drive to back up stuff to then reformat and install 64-bit Windows. The world of 3D is not kind to us 32-bit plebs.
  • Is it supposed to turn off that frequently, or is it malfunctioning?

Also 160 GB doesn't go a long way, even for me
  • edited 2017-08-20 19:47:40
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Is it supposed to turn off that frequently, or is it malfunctioning?

Also 160 GB doesn't go a long way, even for me

You should be able to set it so that it doesn't do that, by installing the Seagate Dashboard application. Except the application that's on the drive says that it's not compatible with my OS (Win8.1) and the downloadable application from the Seagate site works...inconsistently.

As for 160 GB being "only" so big, that's partly me thinking back to my high school and early college days, when I had drives that were 12 GB, 15 GB, and 40 GB in size. Primary hard drives, on computers running Win98, Win98, and WinXP respectively.
  • The thing about hard drive space is, well...as hard drives get bigger, so do programs and other files, because developers say "I may as well take advantage of this."

So, yeah, I remember when PCs had 80 GB hard drives—in fact, I've got such a PC with me right here—but I no longer find that sufficient for my needs. That's why I've got a 1 TB drive now.
  • The smallest hard drive I can remember using was 1 GB. Then again, not having internet meant one didn't have so much stuff to fill it with. We also had a computer that ran on MSDos and used literally floppy disks, but I never knew how much memory it had (or probably what the concept of hard drive memory is).
  • IJBM: Programs that have a large, uncloseable splash screen when opened up.

Thank you for the nice artwork, but you caught me right at the moment you're unusable.
  • Chrome has no offline mode, except as an experimental feature that won't work if you didn't have it activated by the time you visited the page you want to see the cache of.
  • edited 2017-10-03 12:27:12
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Updating Windows 10 made it impossible for my computer to recognize my phone if I connected it via USB. Trying to fix this through Device Manager wouldn't work, but just manually reinstalling the original file sitting in my drivers folder did?
  • I found out the default Windows 10 video player has a feature to keep it anchored. I liked it more than I thought I would, so I wondered if Chrome (or Windows in general) had something similar, but nothing I tried worked, or so I thought. After a couple annoyances throughtout the day because clicking from the toolbar didn't make the clicked window show up I found out it was because, in fact, Chrome did manage to stay anchored, presumably because something I did made it so, but I don't know what it was and I wish I knew.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Firefox what haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappeeeeeeeeeeeneeeeeeeeeeeeed
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Firefox what haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappeeeeeeeeeeeneeeeeeeeeeeeed

Is this about the update that broke plugins?
  • The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm
    firefox completely changed their core, it broke literally everything on their addons site
    Is it "breaking" if you essentially did it on purpose?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    So, I have a bit of a concern. Would any of you guys know what's going on?

Some time ago, my computer broke down. I tried to switch it on again, managed to get into diagnostics. Gave me one of those error messages, I wrote it down, googled from another computer. The idea was that RAM broke, and the way to fix it is to remove RAM memory cards one by one to see which one was faulty. Turned out it worked, so for a while my computer ran on half of initial RAM. Then I got a new RAM card to put in place of the one that broke.

Since then, I've had a few new problems. A video game I played began to hang up, you know, didn't crash, but suddenly you can do nothing but reset and the sound gets stuck on the last note ("beeeeeep"). Also once in a while, the view I have on my screen turns into something not unlike an old TV when the signal is bad, the cursor doesn't move and I can't do anything, and the computer turns off after a while.

The second problem looks like the time I had a broken graphics card, but all taken together, I've got a feeling it's a RAM issue. Drivers? Would be easier if I didn't have to replace hardware or spend two weeks without a computer while it's being fixed.
  • I bet there's a tester out there that tests your GPU without doing anything to your RAM.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Update: my computer just went out in a way very similar to the last time, except now I didn't get a chance to run the diagnostics. I pulled out the second piece of RAM that came with the computer and as you can see, it seems to be running again (now solely on the newly bought RAM). Interesting.
    Pinterest hates the back button.

Specifically, if you go back, you don't ever get the same thing again.
  • edited 2017-12-09 04:13:28
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    So my computer installed an automatic update, my graphics driver decided "actually, you know what, fuck you", and now I can't play any of my games any more. The games run, I get audio just fine, but nothing shows up on the screen, not even a blank window. Goddammit.

EDIT: A bad interaction between the graphics card and Unity. Issue solved.
    Good to hear about a happy ending.

Also, my computer is doing fine, although I haven't yet got that new replacement piece of RAM.
    >Firefox just updated
    >decides I can only close tabs when it lets me

Oh so this is one of those updates.
  • There is no way to search your history in Microsoft Edge.
  • Microsoft Edge as a whole strikes me as largely incomplete. I guess it could be useful for casual browsing, but if you live and breathe TCP/IP like I do, it's just not up to the task.
    Tried to connect mail program to my e-mail account and now the internet tells me I'm spreading spam.

I mean, these two might be unrelated, but at the moment I prefer to assume my computer is not a spam zombie.
  • I don't know how much of this is my fault or not, but I spent four days and three nights failing to compile a simple program I made in Visual Studio and as it turns out it was because what I had open was the repository, not the solution, there was no indication (e.g. an error message) that this was the case and the internet only came up with unrelated problems.
    When I was (somehow) the de-facto guy in charge of running the website of my old workplace, I spent a lot of early mornings trying to unbreak it because Visual Studio (200..8?) was a finicky nightmare. I never made any programs aside from the basic tutorial type things though.

Meanwhile, Windows 10 is a terrifying lesson in all the secret weird processes that get your computer to do all the things Microsoft wants. It took me a week of trial and error to figure out how to stop it from secretly reinstalling Update "Helper" which in turn reactivated all my Update services.

I had to kill the Update service, obviously uninstall Update Helper like twice (before and after killing the update service like three times because I'd forgot to stop one of the secret triggers in the Update service that reinstalled it from a backup like immediately) and then kill a secret completely unrelated trigger that restated all of my Update services every three days.

Of course, during all this I ended up learning that Windows has two entire secret services that run literally all the time whose entire purpose is to send your data to Microsoft. Of course Microsoft says it's just to record crashes and "neutral" user activity but come on.

I didn't kill them, because the two services are made up of five and two different processes, some of which are actually linked to important things that could possibly break my Network drivers forever.

Plus, I let Google profile me anyways, why not let Microsoft have it's turn?
  • What I like about Visual Studio is that it lets me set up libraries, frameworks etc. without making me hate life.

And yeah, the Updater thing sucks. I think I already posted in this thread that it'd cause the 'net to slow down to a crawl.
    When you scroll down on New YouTube the video comes along with you...

and pressing the spacebar means pausing it over and over until you remember that it also shifts all the control to the new tiny video window. It also plays over the comments, which are invariably why you're scrolling down in the first place.

Though if this is some sort of strategy to stop me reading terrible YouTube comments it's pretty brilliant.
  • edited 2018-03-15 07:46:27
    A couple months ago I tried to get Qt to work (tl;dr: framework). I'm probably out of my troubleshooting league, there were loads and loads of errors before I could get any Hello World-style program to run. One of these errors told me that I had no version of Qt installed, which I later realized was because, in fact, I had no version of Qt installed (I installed everything by default, which doesn't include any such version). Now, I tried to install it, but by default it includes 38GB worth of stuff, I trimmed it down to 20something and went on. It threw an error so I ran the installer again to see if it had saved what it had downloaded. It now told me it'd take less than 3GB so yay, I tried to install again. For the following several hours it'd fill 38GB worth of stuff, it's thrown several errors along the way but ehh, it was continuing anyways so I let it be, and well, it finally worked.

Besides that, Krita is a wonderful in many ways, one of which isn't the animation editor, where it's extremely complicated to just move frames around, make a new animation out of multiple images, or basically anything that isn't making a new animation from scratch and in a linear fashion.

Edit: and crashes a lot.
  • edited 2018-03-17 05:58:19
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    >install iTunes again, even though this app is the scourge of the universe
    >change region to JP by loopholing, hoping Apple never closes this loophole
    >oh my gosh wth I should've studied kanji more
    >installed iTunes from installer I had on hand so now it decides this is the absolute best time to update whilst I wonder if I can ever fix this
    >everything in English now
    >must reloop the loopholes
    >kanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    >oh okay change language to English using Google Translate

That was way more stressful than any time I shopped at CDJapan but it'll be cheaper in the long term. Well, if the more indie acts I like even bother with iTunes. I was originally trying for Reccochoku, but that's way more specific about addresses and IDs which cost a bunch of money in and of themselves to fake properly.

I really don't get why Apple can't sell me all the music from every iTunes store.