If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Love this academic stuff:

Her point at the start about a large female gamer demographic existing before mobile gaming seems to gloss over Patience/Minesweeper and other office desktop stuff, but that's the only gap I can spot so far.  

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

It's an hour+ long video.  Summary please?

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

I have five normal levels left to beat in Dustforce, and all of them terrify me: Night Temple, Hideout, Core Temple, Backup Shift, Abyss. Probably going to hide in the level editor for a while.

• edited 2014-12-26 06:30:34
    Diet NEET

It highlights a few points in the light of GamerGate. It has a brief summary on the mechanics and misconceptions of the conflict(networking=/=conspiracy, harassment comes from both sides, a rift between gamer and developer). Key insight is that pro is infested in blank slatism too heavily, and anti too much in the influence of the subconsciousness(games don't have any influence on my perception of reality at all vs. you are informed by your life experiences to the point of having zilch insight in your own psychology).

Later, it contextualizes the happening as part of a broader notion in the rise of the hardcore gamer as a constructed identity that always ignored the largest consuming demographic of casuals, and how the hobbyists of yesteryear that are so praised by the current 30-ish pro-GG demographic have more in common with today's indie devs than the mega IPs GG likes. 

Some of the talk is a tad speculative, but I'm sure here upcoming book actually adds a bit of substance to parts of the narrative in the talk.

What's blank-slatism?

• See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabula_rasa

Derp, I screwed up, blank slatism should go to the antis(as in: everyone gets influenced by things with too much filtering) and pro should be too convinced of their own agency. 

• edited 2014-12-26 11:10:26
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Is it not Tabula Rasa?

Yeah, that sounds more like it.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Been playing Hero's Saga: Laevatein Tactics lately. It's a fun little SRPG with some RPG thrown in. Two rock-paper-scissors-ey systems (weapon elements and battle options) and some decent-ish customisation.

If I have any problems with it it's probably all the unskippable dialogue which you have to go through every time you reset (and it happens quite a bit seeing as no recovery/healing options are available yet and if you go into battle with weapons your opponent is strong against you are pretty much done for) and every time you reset a non-story battle you face different opponents which makes it seem like it's trying to stop me from grinding.

And something I realized just yesterday was if a battle goes on for too long your enemies will all fill their special move bars and murder your team even if they were all at the brink of defeat moments ago.

^ I've had that game on my radar for a while, just not gotten around to playing it.

Speaking of DS games, have you tried A Witch's Tale?  Seems like it might be up your alley with the cuteness.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I haven't, but I guess I'll start looking out for it now.

I just finished Hoshigami (It only took this long because it was an SRPG that said "What about we limit you to seven units and give the opposing force iunno... TWENTY" and turns always took forever) which is why I managed to start playing this.

• My arms are falling off!

Shovel Knight (3DS). Whose bright idea was it to have B assigned to confirm and A assigned to cancel, instead of vice versa? I get that the bottom button on Xboxes and North American PlayStations is traditionally the confirm button, but dammit, this is a Nintendo platform, I'm going to be mis-navigating menus for a while.

Reminds me of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan, for Game Boy.  Reversed attack and jump buttons.

• edited 2014-12-30 02:19:44
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Steam card sets completed so far during the sale:

- The Holiday 2014 set
    - The Bridge (actually put together a full set shortly after the summer event; held onto it until I could get an extra bonus here)
    - SpaceChem
    - Transistor

I guess one or two other games I want badges from (The Banner Saga, since I picked that up yesterday, and maybe Contraption Maker), and then to work on upgrading badges I already have Level 1 of.

I haven't actually completed any sets this time.

I have a few waiting to be crafted, but I haven't touched them.

• edited 2014-12-31 18:27:16
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I have some extra Steam Holiday Sale 2014 cards.

Anyone want them?

Only available tonight.  I'm heading out tomorrow.

• edited 2014-12-31 20:36:56
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Still trying to get rid of mine. (At this point, cashing them in for Steam Card Exchange credits. Not much success, though-- usually overstocked.)

Kid Icarus Uprising

So far the most comfortable way for me, a left-handed player, to play seems to be to use a Circle Pad Pro, then mirror the default control scheme, then lay my 3DS down on a hard surface and use my middle finger to move.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So, struck by nostalgia and a book on medieval Serbia, I decided to install Europa Universalis II with the AGCEEP mod. Turned out it's got a bit too complicated over the years. Meh. Didn't want it that bad.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

-posting after god knows how long just to approve of your book choice-

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

AGCEEP had a fun starting position for Serbia. You're fucked, but if you manage to stave off getting fucked for long enough, you receive a series of scripted events allowing you to accumulate some five or six core provinces. Surviving and collecting them is a fun challenge that requires you to suck up to and piggy-back on the local big guys, who hate each other's guts as much as yours.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Sounds pretty historically accurate.

• edited 2015-01-09 23:53:46
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

http://0verhyped.com/2012/08/13/was-metroid-other-m-sexist/

This is the first of a four-part series of articles (the other three are there already; I'm just not cluttering the post with links) that actually does a pretty detailed analysis into what went wrong with Metroid: Other M.

Don't be fooled by the somewhat deliberately provocative title.  It doesn't go on diatribes about how Sakamoto is sexist.  (In fact, it concludes the opposite regarding Sakamoto.)

• > Oh, that’s right, most “hardcore” gamers are shortsighted morons.

Oh, it's written by one of these people. Did not read any further mainly due to the fact that I am over twenty.

Well, your loss.

• edited 2015-01-16 02:11:51
    My arms are falling off!

After Burner II, especially the 3DS port that just got released in North America.

How the fuck do you dodge anything reliably? I mean, picture the homing lasers from Taito games and Judgement Silversword, except in a "corridor" shooter and as the primary projectile type throughout the game. 

How people can pull their hair over Touhou, yet reminisce over games like these, is a bit beyond me. At least in Touhou you don't have to spasm your character all over the place to avoid enemy attacks.

It doesn't help that I've found no reliably good control scheme. Playing with the Circle Pad for movement is like Operation with the world's worst hand precision, while playing with the touchscreen means I have to relegate my other hand, which is already controlling the throttle, to guns and missiles too.

Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I swear, these Ornes are going to give me nightmares.

I like how in Puzzle & Dragons the game actually cares to leave the iOS status bar visible, while even many games where immersion is not important such as Terra Battle don't, as shown here.

I have now played Bad Rats for real.

I can confirm two things:

1. there is a randomness effect to the physics simulation.

2. the physics simulation operates in 3D, despite the gameplay taking place in 2D.

If you get the game on Steam, or are troll-gifted it, I suggest idling the game for cards to use as trading (or even grinding) fodder.
  • As someone who was board and insane enough to complete bad rats I will second that suggestion. 
    delta534 wrote: »
    As someone who was board and insane enough to complete bad rats I will second that suggestion. 

i am truley sorry for your lots