If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2014-12-15 21:33:01
    a little muffled

I don't think there's much more than that. A Valve employee stated something like "it's not something we're willing to publish on Steam". People are pissed more because of "censorship" slippery slopes than because they actually wanted to play the game, as far as I can tell.

The game itself basically looks like something a twelve-year-old who's just discovered black metal and /b/ would dream up.

• It's like they haven't figured out that Steam is well within its rights to regulate the content it platforms.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I think the issue with Hatred is that is a game that's so purposefully offensive that the creator thinks is some sort of statement about the nature of violence or some shit, but it's severly lacking in meaning.

• I wouldn't have a problem with Hatred being taken off for regulation if I honestly have not seen Steam regulate any of its greenlight games recently, with broken alpha stage games being allowed. It smacks of wanting to avoid controversy, which is pointless given its subject matter exists in other games on steam like Manhunt and the coming GTAV pc port.

• Valve doesn't need to be consistent, they can do whatever they damn well please. You can probably dig up plenty of games which also bank on controversy just as much, but are still on there, such as Postal. Consumers are also well within their rights to point this out and badger Valve to put it back up. 

Dictionary arguments on what exactly constitutes censorship are a red herring(we'll go with removal from consciousness in the Freudian sense if you want a proper loophole), and this isn't really a fallacy as the actions will embolden certain groups to try to get more stuff removed(how effective this will be, given the limited time and mental resources these groups have, is another matter entirely). 

Anyhow, they're trying to get it added on GOG now. 

• From what I understand, literally the entire point of the game was to make a game that wouldn't be allowed on Steam so that they could throw a tantrum about how they're being "censored." The whole thing is a (GamerGater's over-)reaction to the (nonexistent) censorship that is (allegedly) being done of all video games by "SJWs," and this game is supposedly a return to a time when games were all about "fun" and not "politics" (cue horribly unfun looking generic twinstick shooter with obviously political intent).

• edited 2014-12-16 16:07:40

Right, because the only people who would want to play this game are GG people, and not people who just wanted a game to play regardless of cultural context and the absence of morality.

I hate the game. It looks terrible, looks like it plays terrible and would feel terrible if I did play it. Which is exactly why I criticize its removal. I don't want a culture that deems things that are acceptable to take down as long as enough people complain about it. When I felt a slight second of relief that it was rejected from steam was when I knew something was wrong: I don't want a world that caters to the world moral view of a select few because it made them feel uncomfortable. I want games and art and music and comics to make people uncomfortable, to make them question themselves and everything they deem acceptable about society standards and censorship.

• edited 2014-12-16 16:18:43
    a little muffled

Valve is not "a culture". The game's removal from Steam does not mean that the game doesn't exist, or even that it will be particularly difficult to get a hold of. This isn't even like Apple removing Papers Please from the app store where you have to hack your phone to get it; there is absolutely nothing preventing the developers from selling it themselves even if nobody else is willing to do so for them.

• edited 2014-12-16 16:16:11

Not a culture, but Valve makes up a fairly large percentage of the PC video game market, if you know what a PC is. I would rather games that are seen poorly in cultural context to fail due to terrible programming and lack of sales than the inability to market it to a large demographic.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

(GamerGater's over-)reaction to the (nonexistent) censorship that is (allegedly) being done of all video games by "SJWs,"

I'm under an impression that this is the perception of GamerGate that we have here (the devs are from here). Argument from Manhunt has been raised. But, I'm not roaming the 'Net in search of opinions on GamerGate, and the place I occasionally visit for opinions is rather heavily biased, so, let's say I'm saying that this may quite be what the devs think.

• edited 2014-12-16 16:39:33
    a little muffled

ninjaclown wrote:
    Not a culture, but Valve makes up a fairly large percentage of the PC video game market, if you know what a PC is.
    Is this supposed to be some kind of bizarre insult?

• This has nothing to do with Gamergate, I have no idea why you brought that up. That honestly says more about the game's detractors because people who want to play Hatred are not necessarily pro-GG.

• edited 2014-12-16 17:29:41

Gee, Gamergate is the new TV Tropes/Chagen/flame-war-igniter? It'd be nice if you guys tone it down, pretty please?

On very vaguely related news, I learned that Blender can (now?) export shape keys/blendshapes into .fbx files for vydia games. Whoo.

• I'm glad to never talk about it for a few months, or ever, hence why I ask it be brought up in an unrelated topic.

Stormtroper, are you aiming to be a game developer? I saw you post a lot of stuff about drawing and Maya rigging, it looks interesting.

• edited 2014-12-16 18:05:04
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well for what it's worth I am observing that this is at least in part becoming a proxy war for the GamerGate flamewar, like it or not.  The Steam thread where this argument is playing out has a bunch of comments complaining about "SJWs" and some about the "gaming media" as well, despite the fact that this just seems to be a thing between Valve and the game's dev.  And since proxy wars are pretty much defined by people's perceptions...

• ^^ My secret's out. Yeah, a friend had the idea to make a small video game studio (or a graphics design studio that doubles as video game studio and/or photocopy shop), I'd be the 3D artist for it. I have doubts on it, but whatever the result, I've already learned much about 3D modeling, and video game or not, I'm pondering on if I should turn my hobby into an actual career.

Also, you should probably answer Nyktos' question.

• edited 2014-12-16 18:45:58

Also, you should probably answer Nyktos' question.

Me? or @ninjaclown?

Anyway so I finally went and watched the trailer for Hatred:

I could barely keep myself from laughing.  The narrative premise seems ripped off of a horribly stereotyped teenage angst blog.

I tried rewatching it again, and this time I couldn't keep myself from laughing.  That script...is just so...I guess I could say, terribly "over-written", with "over-" in the sense of "over-acted".

The game itself appears to be basically a black-and-white version of Zombie Shooter, though.  Which is pretty much nothing special.  Maybe cutscenes just to show off how gory and violent it is.

All these people are getting their jimmies rustled over what looks directly headed toward being a pretty shit game regardless of content issues...sigh.

Bonus find: edited version:

• edited 2014-12-16 18:56:15

It wasn't an insult.

Hey I laughed at the game too, I just don't think since some people like us don't like it, other people shouldn't hear about the game, let alone buy it. That's all I have to say on the matter.

• a little muffled

ninjaclown wrote:
    It wasn't an insult.
    Okay so what were you actually trying to say there then?

• edited 2014-12-16 19:23:14

I'm inclined to agree with InsanityAddict that the whole debate over the exact definition of "censorship" is a distraction.

Regarding Steam being big: yes, it is by far the dominant player in the PC game digital distribution market.  I've seen people arguing that Steam's not carrying this game has a drastic impact on the game's sales.  I'm sure it does.  So what about all the numerous other obscure indie games that Steam doesn't carry?  What about them?

Ironically, just a few entries down, in the same forum, there's a thread complaining about Steam being filled with "shovelware".  This is just the (n+27)th time that people have been complaining about games they don't like being on Steam -- the term merely varies, and may or may not include things like "casual", "indie", "cell phone", "simple", "hidden object", "pixel", "8-bit", "80s", "anime", etc., but it all just boils down to games that someone doesn't like seeing.  What about those people?  Are they advocating censorship?  or the suppression of creativity?

No.  They're just expressing their opinions.  Surprise, Valve has opinions too.  Valve is also not a government entity, nor providing some service whose provision is regulated by the government in such a way that forces it to disregard content in deciding what to carry, so it has no obligation to keep their opinions out of their business either.

• edited 2014-12-16 20:03:49
    a little muffled

Right. It's kinda fucked up if Steam has really gotten so dominant that its removal of a game hurts the game so badly, but the problem is with that, not the specific action it's taking here. It's still absurd to suggest that a store has a moral obligation to sell a particular product.

Maybe, if you're upset about all of this, the solution is to stop using Steam. If enough people follow suit, it won't even matter any more whether the game is on there.

• edited 2014-12-16 20:28:53

^ A few people have brought up European anti-trust law in the course of this whole argument, actually.

In any case, Hatred is back on Greenlight.  Go downvote it to your heart's content.  I just did.

• I've already learned much about 3D modeling, and video game or not, I'm pondering on if I should turn my hobby into an actual career.

Design cosmetics for Valve games, people will buy anything. 

• I heard the DotA 2 market is quite profitable. Too bad I don't play it.

For whatever it's worth, the .fbx and drawing thing wasn't in the context of game developing, but modeling in general.

• I heard the DotA 2 market is quite profitable. Too bad I don't play it.

All you have to do is be somewhat familiar with the characters and add feathers everywhere.

• edited 2014-12-18 17:41:29

Steam sale!

Looks like they learned from the stupidity of earlier "vote three times to get a card" nonsense, where one would have to set one's alarm clock to wake up to vote on Steam (if one is unlucky with one's time zone).  Now, one needs vote only once to get a card.  Each vote lasts for a whole day.

13 chance to do so, they say.  Considering that the set is only ten cards, that pretty much means everyone can get a guaranteed set.

First one's happening right now.  Go get it!

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Also, level requirement is the same as last time.  Level 8.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Hot dang, those music levels actually kinda make me wanna get Rayman Legends.

• It's fun.  A couple of the music levels are really annoying, but the entire rest of the game is just so perfect that you don't care.

• Steam has Trails in the Sky at 50% off for the next 12 hours.

TitS up, people!