If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-11-17 01:11:08

Ooh, it looks like Telltale-does-Layton.  I'll keep an eye out for a sale.

• My arms are falling off!

I should go to the arcade again. I've been deprived of music games for too long.

• edited 2014-11-17 08:16:16
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Ooh, I got an Eryi's Action booster pack on Steam!

I wonder if I'll get a foil card in this pack.

thoroughlytrolled_zps996edd26.png

farta_trollface_zps14fbe5af.png

• Look who they're rolling out against Tropes vs. Women:

This shit has to be seen to be believed. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-11-18 21:11:02

^^ lol opening booster packs instead of just selling them

^ Motherfucking Jack Thompson?  Really?

• Shhh, don't spoiler the fun.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I don't wanna watch that video. Please, stahp.

• Their point about Thompson getting a flood of death/rape threats is legit. It's a point of nuance that is necessary, especially since the most recent Pew Center study on online harassment often gets selectively cited on the harassment dudettes receive in the media: http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/online-harassment/ (and is thus imho an ideal stepstone to get more dudes actively involved in ending toxic internet culture instead of the use-your-male-privilege-to-protect-wimminz malarkey). 

Thompson motte-and-baileys his positions retroactively, and it's not that weird to see him buy one type of neuropsych Cliff's Notes and not another, or classify one thing as harmful speech, and not another. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I don't sell my Steam trading cards, ever.

• Same, I really like hanging on to all of them and pretending they're my personal museum. Plus they were invented to craft badges, which I could not care less about.

• Thompson motte-and-baileys his positions retroactively

Surely we can find some clearer terminology for this concept.

• Noimporta wrote:

Thompson motte-and-baileys his positions retroactively

Surely we can find some clearer terminology for this concept.

Simplifying a position to the point no-one can disagree?

• Now it's not terminologyish enough!

• edited 2014-11-19 15:43:41
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So the original comparison was that of Thompson starting out with a castle and downgrading it to an Early Medieval hill fort?

\/ Hm. Interesting.  

Motte and Bailey means that you have a controversional opinion which is your fertile lands, which can be argued against, and then you retreat into your hill fort, which is the far simpler proposition that is easier to defend.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/11/20/The-lost-franchise-why-Digimon-deserves-a-glorious-renaissance

Guys....guys, guys, guys, guys. I don't what this is, and it scares me, please help.

• edited 2014-11-21 05:32:27
    Diet NEET

>lefties call for a cultural shift in our understanding of videogames(empathy games, etcetera)

>this nukes the established franchises of the videogame industry

>mfw when GG was all just an astroturfed ploy to get more righties into gaming

• edited 2014-11-21 07:33:13
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Digimon has emerged with hindsight as a clear connoisseur's choice.

haha what

A new anime series is in the works from Toei, but details are sketchy.

Translation: I really wanted to write this article so I won't acknowledge the fact that Digimon is already going to become a thing again.

It bombed.

Did Rumble Arena actually bomb (he doesn't provide a link or anything)? I mean, with Xros Wars airing in the West right now you'd think it would do great.

the soullessness of Pokémon

This guy has actually played a Pokémon game right.

But there are plenty of reasons to consider Digimon the superior, or at least the more intellectually satisfying, franchise

these words hurts my soul

Anyways the reason Re:Digitize wasn't localized and any other games won't be is because the two/three DS games he manages to avoid mentioning were actually bad as a whole and those did lose their localizers money.

Re:Digitize also has a really weird system involving Digimon death (IIRC literally all your Digimon will die eventually) that I don't think would translate well to a modern market (How many World Nostalgics are even out there?).

• IIRC literally all your Digimon will die eventually

That also happened in Monster Rancher. You just froze them and fused them when they gave you the warning (although you'd probably lose one before understanding what the warning meant).

• edited 2015-10-09 07:04:37

[user deleted]

• edited 2014-11-21 20:42:24
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Heading out to pick up a Wii U in a little bit. Hell yeah. One more thing to distract me from my English essay.

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-11-21 22:13:30

Is there anything worth having on Wii U yet?  I know Smash is coming out soon and my friends and I are going to pool for that alone -- but unless you like Mario Kart a lot more than I do I can't think of anything else.

• edited 2015-10-09 07:04:32

[user deleted]

• The GG autoblocker is hilarious. Neutral journalists, the KFC Twitter and the chairman of IGDA Puerto Rico are on it. The latter is even more silly because the blocker is linked from IGDA's main site itself. 

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Talkin' 'bout GG, seems like there's a new shitstorm in the making. It's like we're in some sort of shitstorm rollercoaster. Apparently - so I am told - Dragon Age 3 is of surprisingly bad quality when it comes to graphics and animation, but is promoted as having an exclusively gay romance option. This is gonna be fun.

• My arms are falling off!

In my efforts to inject some positivity back into this thread in the midst of all the Gamerゲート blabla, since I got an iPhone 5S I decided to put some games on it.

DoDonPachi Maximum- CAVE's first (and only?) original iOS game, and it's designed to actually work on a smartphone rather than being a shoehorned port of one of their existing games. The stages are semi-recreations of existing CAVE stages (primarily DoDonPachi and Ketsui stages), and the game features simplified controls (the only inputs are sliding around to move and double-press for bomb), a more lenient combo timer, and larger bullets (this is a mobile game, so this is a good thing) than most of CAVE's arcade games. So far, most likely the only CAVE game on iOS I will possess.

Groove Coaster Zero - I hear about this game from a close friend of mine who's also into music games and STGs. You move along a track that can be best described as a third-person rollerocaster and tap, slide, hold down, etc. the touchscreen as you pass through notes along the track. Wonderful background visuals (even if they make it hard to see notes sometimes), excellent tracks (if you like Zuntata, this is basically Zuntata: The Rhythm Game), and Zero offers the full Groove Coaster track set for free (though you have to unlock them in a level-up system) along with DLC packs. However, scoring seems to be combo-based, and combo scoring in music games is a berserk button of mine; it's less frustrating to miss one note in DDR or jubeat losing a negligible amount of points from that one miss, than it is to miss one note in--to cite a rather extreme example--osu! and completely destroy your triple-digit combo multiplier.

• edited 2014-11-22 13:29:39
    a little muffled

The GG autoblocker is hilarious.
    If you mean it's hilarious how incredibly mad people get that someone on Twitter doesn't want to listen to them, yeah.

• Actually, it's because IGDA called certain people and their thousands of followers the worst harassers. That's defamation , which leads to legal liability, like if you were unable to be hired because your would be employer found out you're on an organization's list of harassers, just because you follow certain people (that's right, you don't even have to write a single tweet, the blocker marks you based on who you follow). But KFC deserves to be on that list, clearly they spend their days harassing online, right? And screw the head of IGDA Puerto Rico, he may be their colleague, but this is what Puerto Ricans deserve for speaking out against Georgie Tait's gas chamber jokes, right?

Anyway, it's a moot point, the list has been taken deactivated.

• Lethal League is fun as hell, reminds me of Jet Set Radio, if you guys know what that is. Valkyria Chronicles for PC is selling like hotcakes on steam Sega, maybe there are other games you can capitalize on? Hint hint.

• edited 2014-11-22 15:57:30
    a little muffled

ninjaclown wrote:
    Anyway, it's a moot point, the list has been taken deactivated.
    No it hasn't? IGDA (which had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of the list) decided to stop linking to it, but nothing's happened to the list itelf. Also, there was buttmad over it long before IGDA got involved.

ninjaclown wrote:
    And screw the head of IGDA Puerto Rico, he may be their colleague, but this is what Puerto Ricans deserve for speaking out against Georgie Tait's gas chamber jokes, right?
    The algorithm made a mistake. Had he asked politely to be removed (as a number of people who follow GG people but aren't harassers have), he almost certainly would've been. Instead he chose to throw a temper tantrum.