If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2015-10-09 07:07:17

[user deleted]

• Yeah they seem to have a rather peculiar idea of what constitutes news.

• edited 2014-11-01 22:28:50
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Kraken wrote:

Clickbait. Really awful clickbait. 

Photo-of-lighting-rig-with-headline-'HAS GLADOS INVADED THE OLYMPICS' clickbait.

Oh.

Ew.

Well that might explain why I don't know them well.  I tend to start ignoring clickbait sites.

• My arms are falling off!

tfw it takes longer for me to kill a Duramboros with a Hunting Horn than it does with a Bow of the same tier and element

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

it's about ethics in games journalism

It's actually about the ethics of Gawker Media in general actually.

I just wanted to say that.

On to other things, Wasteland 2 IS HARDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. Not really hard just feels very odd and the way the game manages stats strikes me as quite 1980's RPG. Which while a nice throwback in principle, it exposes the game to some of those early game flaws.

• edited 2014-11-03 03:51:01
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, this is another reminder not to get too invested in these multiplayer games with item economies.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/620695877401927065/#c620695877402857783

When you are VAC banned, you can not buy from that games market, trade items from that game or sell items from that game on the market. That is part of being VAC banned in CS:GO, TF2 and DOTA 2.

I have no way to tell whether this user's story -- that he just modded the user interface and got him a ban -- is true, nor how he did it.  I've seen some custom TF2 interfaces before so presumably there's a way to do it without getting VAC banned, at least in that game, but still...the threat of a VAC ban pretty much puts a big chilling effect on any intent I have to mod a game to make it more enjoyable to me in ways that don't affect gameplay.  Or if some little bit of the game prog goes wrong or something.

It's probably highly unlikely unless I start dicking with the DLLs or EXEs, I think, but...still.  Can't get too invested in it, psychologically and financially.

• CSGO is the only game I've heard where people can spontaneously get bans for any reason, I've even heard people get banned for bhop (bunny hop) macro scripts that allow them to continuously jump without mashing their jump key, although that may be due to the server thinking no human player can jump that many times per minute. TF2 and other games are mod friendly, but the nature of Counter Strike means player mods are almost a no-no.

• My arms are falling off!

So in MH3U I didn't get a Brachy Tail so I could go buy a Dios Axe, but oh hey I got a Brachy Gem instead.

I'm now the proud owner of a Dios Edge+.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Does Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs make sense if yoiu haven't played the Amnesia: the Dark Descent?

• "Who would have thought that a child could win a children's video game?"

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-11-09 16:28:26

Damn, she smoked his ass.

EDIT: OH GOD WHY DID I READ THE COMMENTS

FYI, I have extra keys for Metro 2033 (x1), Risk of Rain (x2), and Teleglitch: Die More Edition (x1).  Let me know by, say, Nov. 20th, if you want them.

Actually, it seems you can get Metro 2033 between now and November 11th 10 AM PDT for free, on Humble Store.  (As in, the promotion where I got it is still going on.)  So if you want it, go there to get it for now.  (If it's past Nov. 11 and you're reading this and want it, then I still have an extra.)

• Ugh, goddammit Gamestop.  Stop giving the misogynist crowd ammunition.

• edited 2014-11-10 12:00:36

I concur.

Thing is, there are some really smart and mature kids out there that can meet eye-to-eye with most adults in political conversation. So a child winning a children's video game isn't that outlandish.

• edited 2014-11-10 13:17:26
    Diet NEET

Precisely, give a kid like this a gamer version of the cupstacker coach parent who filters tricks and tier info down to her and encourages her to train a lot and this wouldn't be weird at all. 

Should Kickstarter, Early Access, preordering, etc. pricing be above, at, or below full price for a game?  Should it be left up to the dev?  What is your opinion on the idea of pricing high to get only the most dedicated supporters who will feel invested in the project, vs. the idea of pricing low because the consumer doesn't even get a completed game?

Come to notice it, to what extent does this hinge on a debate over the role of the buyer (as consumer vs. supporter)?

• edited 2014-11-11 00:23:16

Why are we talking about video games as if they were company shares? And regarding your reason for pricing higher, isn't that counterproductive to raising money?

• edited 2015-10-09 07:05:25

[user deleted]

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I'm inclined to say, give it a couple of years and some equilibrium will be reached. I don't know if they "should", it's not like Kickstarter is a hospital or a bakery.

Why are we talking about video games as if they were company shares? And regarding your reason for pricing higher, isn't that counterproductive to raising money?

Well, concepts such as "voting with one's wallet" do open up the possibility of seeing things like that.  It's just one possible perspective.

As for pricing higher, that would depend on (1) whether your objective is to raise money, and (2) if so, the demand for your product.

Kraken wrote:

Are we talking about ideal situations or what we think would keep the industry going?

I didn't have a specific scenario in mind.  That said, how would the answer differ between these cases?  (just an open question)

• edited 2014-11-11 12:14:07

Truth be told, I really don't care about "keeping the industry going." In an ideal situation, used games would not be an issue. But too many gamers are capitalist sycophants and defend such wankery. I mean honestly, does even the RIAA make such a big deal about used records? (actually curious about the answer there)

Ideally, since there's a greater risk of not receiving the product, pre-ordered games should be lower-priced or at least come with some bonus incentive.

On another note, http://cargocollective.com/eliz/Manic-Pixel-Dream-Girl. This is nice. Unfortunately, the author has a hate mob after her right now courtesy of that right bastard TotalBiscuit. (I've been wanting to say something about him for a while now after this travesty).

I'd say that pre-order is a cancer that is killing the trust of the costumers and has been doing so from the last few years and this culture of mindless consumerism is a real issue that has to be dealt with. I am just not sure how to tackle the issue. It's kinda like the current film horror scene, full of jump scares and lack of tension because the audience has been trained to flock for cheap thrills to the theatres.

About Total Biscuit and his comments on Simmins, how are we making the correlation between his posts and the harassment? 

• The higher influx of harassment came right after he tweeted her name, and the hate mob targets have been disproportionately women. Whether inadvertently or otherwise, the tweet essentially translates to "Stephen Totilo isn't responsible, go after Elizabeth instead!"

What a fuck up it is, and sadly so.

• edited 2014-11-11 18:40:00

I'm not sure who "debacle" is targeted towards, but I'll just say that TotalBiscuit reminded the mob of one of their targets.

• Everyone. The chumps who responded to the obvious Lewisbaiting and her responding to the trolls that started linking articles that answered 101 question tweets targeted towards her(thus deftly dodging mansplaining accusations), claiming they were denying her income.