If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2014-10-11 16:43:59
    I have 1cced a couple Touhou games in Lunatic, but except for Smash, I'm hopeless at fighting games (including Touhou ones).
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm not even good at Smash.  I became passable at Smash at one point, but I don't really know the tactics well.

If anything, I'm better at coming up with strategies for 100% Orange Juice than Smash.

• My arms are falling off!

I have 1cced a couple Touhou games in Lunatic, but except for Smash, I'm hopeless at fighting games (including Touhou ones).

I'm the same way, except Touhou on Normal (insert unneccessary comparison of ability and verbal self-beating here) and I'm hopeless at Smash too. If I must play multiplayer games, I prefer cooperative ones like Monster Hunter.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Recently being in a mood for Dune, I decided to try out Dune 2000. What I heard of it was that it was like a Dune-themed Red Alert, and a bit behind the curve. So I got it from an abandonware website and began to play. Turned out it's not bad because it's an outdated rehash, it's bad because it's just bad.

Endgame: Singularity, on the other hand, was about as fun as I expected (in other words good).

Lastly, any of you guys into roguelikes? 

Be sure to stay for the incredible egg sequence somewhere past the 9 minute mark.

• Also, if you think you're hardcore, try Candy Crush.

Candy Crush is almost as completely useless as a measure of how hard your core as coin-op beat-em-ups.  It's designed around making you spend shitloads of money to progress.

Granted, I'm bad at match-3 games to begin with (I refuse to call them puzzle games because they really aren't).  But anytime there's a microtransaction model on top of it, expect it to dominate gameplay beyond the lowest part of the game.

lrdgck wrote:
    Lastly, any of you guys into roguelikes? 

They're probably the one genre of games my PC can handle, and I'm rather ass at them :S Any recommendations besides NetHack ADOM, and Dwarf Fortress?

• edited 2014-10-13 19:42:34
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Dungeons of Dredmor.

One Way Heroics.

maybe Spelunky.

As for myself, for roguelikes, I've played those three, as well as Nethack and FTL.  Note that FTL is weirdly resource-intensive, for what otherwise looks like a pretty simple game.

• edited 2014-10-15 10:32:49
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

DOOM Roguelike, Dungeon Crawl (Stone Soup edition), UnReal World, Elona. Elona's like a very Japanese version of UnReal World, which is like what DF's Adventure Mode wants to be (except for combat). Or the other way round.

edit: note that the last two don't run on basic ASCII (I mention them in the broader sense of roguelike) and if your computer is really that slow, they might be tricky. 

The day I finally got to play FTL: Advanced Edition, it killed my GPU within seconds.

first thing I'm saving up for if I find work: a new PC that won't die if I dare to play even YouTube videos

Seriously, why is FTL so resource-intensive?

I might just have to add it to the list of games that are not optimized well, like Hydrophobia Prophecy and Sunrider.

• edited 2014-10-16 15:55:34
    My arms are falling off!

Funny, because Hellsinker has a lot more going on (bullets, enemy sprites, polygons, special effects), but only brings my GPU up to a tension-inducing-but-acceptable 180 F. FTL just spikes it up to 208 F and forces an overheat-triggered shutdown.

Another game that seems to be poorly optimized is Ether Vapor Remaster. I don't know if it's just my PC, but somehow it runs better at 800x600 windowed than 640x480 fullscreen.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

What kind of a computer do you have anyway? I spent quite a time on Celeron 300 with like 32 MB of RAM. Enough for Age of Wonders or Civilization 2 or the Fallouts. Not the freshest games for sure, but damn me if that wasn't a lot of fun.

suddenly I want to play Atelier games

• Playing XenoBlade Chronicles for the past few months.  It's like the MonolithSoft folks played Dragon Age, World of Warcraft, Monster Hunter, and Final Fantasy XII for a whole year, then made their own RPG about a candy-colored struggle between man and machine.  Just entered Sword Valley after the battle with SPOILER near the end of Valak Mountain. 

The combat is... a little weird, since your skillset is limited to six special moves and it's more about directing combat and managing cooldowns; it feels that you're just guiding your main character instead of controlling him/her.  I love how the characters are each so different to control (Melia and Dunban are my favorites to use) but the partner AI isn't the greatest, and being unable to switch control of characters in combat is a BAD design decision.  Borderline unforgivable.  Still really enjoying it, though. 

• Borderline unforgivable.

Not even borderline. Ruins the entire game. It basically means that during boss fights or any fight against the robot things, you pretty much have to be controlling Shulk (or else you either don't have him in your party and you'll definitely lose, or you have him be controlled by the ai and the fight takes twice as long as it should since he never does the right things) who is absolutely the most boring character.  There were a lot of other things I didn't like about the game (horrible side quests add nothing to the game and just make it more tedious, characters changing appearance when you equip armor means your party always looks ridiculous, the first three party members you get are the most straightforward and there's never any incentive to actually try using any of the other ones which means it's easy to get the impression that the other ones are actually useless, giant environments with absolutely nothing in them, etc.) but not being able to change the character you control mid-battle was definitely the worst.

• I like the large environments (having decent fast travel options helps a lot), but you're right on about the party diversity and how awful the sidequests are.  Those quests are WAY too specific and annoying, especially since NPCs are only active at certain times of day and most of the sidequests require HUGE time investment of getting town affinity up before they're even eligible to begin. 

And yeah, the characters.  Shulk isn't the most fun character to use, but those Monado skills make him way too important in boss battles.  This could be fixed with better partner AI, an option to customize partner AI (and have Shulk hold his Monado skills unless you direct him), or being able to switch characters on the fly.  XenoBlade has none of these.  It's a bummer, because I control either Dunban, Melia, or [seventh character is a spoiler] pretty much at all times.  I've had to brute-force Mechon bosses with anti-Mechon weapons most of the time. 

• edited 2014-10-29 06:54:29
    My arms are falling off!

lrdgck wrote:

What kind of a computer do you have anyway? I spent quite a time on Celeron 300 with like 32 MB of RAM. Enough for Age of Wonders or Civilization 2 or the Fallouts. Not the freshest games for sure, but damn me if that wasn't a lot of fun.

Lenovo Y560p notebook. 6 GB of RAM, Core i7-2630QM, Win7 64-bit, AMD Radeon HD 6570M/5700 Series. Owned this since January 2011 and this is a rather recent issue; it's been happening since late April when I learned the hard way that FTL was my new favorite GPU cooker. It does not matter if I can play things like Team Fortress 2 at a bearable framerate, or Sonic Generations at 1024x600 with mostly-consistent 60 FPS, anything that taxes the GPU will cause it to fry. Even YouTube and Vine videos will threaten to force an overheat-induced shutdown unless I close those. (Strangely, certain kinds of videos, like those on Nico Nico Douga, work fine.)

There's burn marks on the GPU which may explain things. My friend and I tried reapplying thermal paste and cleaning out the heat sink and fan, and sadly it was about as effective as shouting at my computer. I'm effectively overdue for a new machine.

In somewhat less stressing news, one of my Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate friends (who's HR 40) and I (who's HR 5) tried tackling Jhen Mohran in a HR 5 quest, because I feel Elder Dragon quests are more fun with friends. We failed. Fuck me for not grabbing the harpoons before transitioning to the latter phase of the fight.

Have you tried out buying that cooling support for a laptop kind of stuff that probably has a nifty name but I don't know of it? You know, pretty much an external fan powered by an USB cable. My computer too won't let me play some more CPU-intense stuff when it isn't witched on.

Tried those, doesn't work. If you ask me, cooling pads are only useful if the laptop's fan has stopped working.

My fan seems to work, so it's a matter of efficient work perhaps. Beyond that I have nothing to add. You've said it's a computer problem rather than video game problem, seems like.

• edited 2014-10-29 18:08:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So in this thread (which might get deleted later, it's just a thread asking about the Steam Halloween 2014 sale), someone posted this image.  (It's a screenshot of what appears to be an announcement, to publishers/developers, about the upcoming Steam Halloween sale and asking for them to submit games to be featured as on sale.)

Question:

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that Steam has policies such as making this a themed sale and excluding sales requests (at least under the Halloween sale banner, I dunno about other 'discount type' categories) for this sales event?

Contrast, for example, Desura, where I think basically any dev can put up any discount anytime, and which I think basically just acts as a storefront and distribution platform (and not much else).  Would be nice if Desura were comparably big, so as to get a better comparison between these two policies, though Desura is (like it or not) a much smaller thing than Steam.

MH3U, quest to get to G-Rank involves hunting a Goldbeard Ceadeus.

Fuck this shit, this is designed for multiple-player parties, the 3DS version has no online multiplayer, and since I live in the United Shits of America that means Monster Hunter fans in my area don't exist.

Any of you guys heard of "This War of Mine"? Here are two trailers:

First

Second

Now I have.

It looks quite interesting.

Here's a long-ass recording of gameplay, with a voiceover from a reviewer and one of the devs. Seems like the devs really devoted themselves to the research into the realities of the situation such as in the game.

• Bravely Default, jobmaster gauntlet and Dimension's Hasp complete.

Not sure how I'm going to manage some of the Nemeses, but whatevs.

Can someone please explain to me why people hate Kotaku?  I'm not particularly familiar with it.

• a little muffled

it's about ethics in games journalism