If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Apparently, Nintendo's defense is that:

1. It's a cheap 3DS meant for all of those people wishing to buy a Pokemon device and nothing more (it comes out Oct. 12 along with X/Y)

2. It's meant for kids to play at home, hence the lack of a hinge, which could break easily in the hands of a 4-6 year old.

• Man, those hinges are made out of Nintendium.  I could probably stand on one and it'd laugh at my pathetic mortal weight.

• a little muffled

...the hell, I have had two DSes separate at the hinges

that shit is not nintendium

• Kichigai birthday!!

The 2DS is kind of dumb design wise, but I don't see why so many people seem to believe is the death of Nintendo or whatever.

• edited 2013-08-28 23:52:50
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Don't you know?  Every new development is either the next big groundbreaking thing or the death of a whole company or industry.

...or the press doesn't seem to relish the opportunity to observe that any given thing is "not much of anything", except in 20/20 hindsight about wrongly doing so.

Am I allowed to pimp a Kickstarter here if it's video game related? 'Cuz if I can...

MEGAM... MIGHTY NUMBER NINE BITCHES.

• I'm sad this is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Because it looks super awesome (multiple weapons at the same time? Brilliant, and no, Zero doesn't count).

• Yeah, I can't help but see this as lawsuit bait.  Which is even worse because it looks like legitimately excellent lawsuit bait.

• edited 2013-09-01 14:51:19

Not about this game itself, but about some comments that Inafune has made about the game industry, in an interview (reposting from IRC):

[13:19:38] so i just skimmed this
    [13:19:39] http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411847
    [13:19:58] this is from a while back
    [13:20:05] when keiji inafune left capcom
    [13:20:18] someone posted it at HH in resopnse to a thread about mighty no 9
    [13:20:36] a few quick observations:
    [13:22:10] 1. i'm not sure how much Inafune's criticisms actually apply to the Japanese game industry vs. the western game industry; i think they are more applicable to the establishment vs. up-and-comers.
    [13:23:05] his criticisms are that the Japanese game industry has become a business, where the management doesn't understands games, and simply assigns tasks to underlings and demands blockbusters in return.
    [13:24:08] and there's little incentive structure for actually creating good games.  and he says that western devs have more incentive because their names and fates are more attached to the product and their success is much more directly dependent on their own actions.
    [13:24:17] that sounds much morelike an establishment/indie divide to me.
    [13:25:09] maybe the japanese/western divide is a little applicable since i hear that many japanese indie devs are less startup companies and more hobbyists, but still.
    [13:26:08] 2. inafune says how big companies are overly dependent on blockbusters
    [13:26:13] *talks about
    [13:26:33] well, fwiw, i hear that same criticism about big-name western publishers like EA.
    [13:27:33] 3. there are consumers, industry observers, and people within the game industry, on both sides, talking about the divide between western and japanese games.  and associating it with management practices.
    [13:28:17] inafune kinda implies that somewhat.
    [13:28:29] now, is there a cultural distinction?  yes.  Is it related to management practices?  I don't think so.
    [13:29:25] if anything, the fact that games can be successful in many different parts of the world speaks more to the cultural independence of the medium.
    [13:32:32] we can of course speculate abuot why platformers are bigger in japan and FPSes are bigger in the US, but I think we can safely say at this point that basically anyone can develop any game they dream up, subject to funding, idea flow, and such.  And with the internet, fandoms are increasingly cross-cultural anyway.
    [13:35:11] TL;DR: while Inafking highlights a Japanese/western divide in management practices and seems to speak about the need to be more western, I think the issues at hand are less culture-dependent and applicable to the whole game industry.  companies worldwide should think about their budgeting and management practices and how those relate to their products and their customers.
    [13:35:33] Budgeting especially.

• Recettear -- RANK 5 FUSION GET.  I'd had a Belenite Plate sitting around for weeks, got a Plate of Grief from a suicide run on Crystal Nightmare Boss Rush, and picked up a Wind Emblem at some point.

But it took goddamn forever to get a pillbug shell to make the rank 4 intermediate  >:(

So yeah.  Tielle is now a nigh-indestructible badass.

• edited 2013-09-05 03:00:55
    There is love everywhere, I already know

• There is love everywhere, I already know

:D

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What's the name of the second one?  I can see "fairy fencer f" on the first one at least.

Battle Princess of Arcadia

I still can't get over the fact that the guy in the first trailer looks like a Kingdom Hearts character.
  • They're somethin' else.

Nice.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-05 22:48:09

So a generic magical moeblob fighter, and a possible spiritual sequel to Odin Sphere.

Well, at least one of those sounds compelling.

EDIT: Recettear, Crystal Nightmare down.  Complete 30-floor dungeon run with Caillou, and complete boss rush with Tielle.  Between the two runs, I got shitloads of high-tier fusion ingredients, and I'm a couple rare boss drops away from a rank 5 +15 armor for Caillou and rank 5 +15 bow for Tielle to make them even more broken.

The boss rush got kind of ridiculous at the end, because the final boss wasn't registering half my hits, and managed to land a rocket that hits twice for almost 300 damage apiece.  I survived it by pausing the game between the hits and eating my last melon, then dodging two lightning volleys that I wouldn't have been able to survive by using the invincibility frame on Starshot.  o_O

I really wish those challenges weren't tuned to require the two most broken characters in the game.  The last floors of Crystal Nightmare Dungeon will kill you in 2-3 hits with bees and blue tentacles that Caillou is the only one that can reliably kill, and the boss rush demands an utterly ridiculous damage output on the 3x bosses that only Tielle can manage without getting horribly raped by their melee.

So a generic magical moeblob fighter

It's a JRPG, not a fighter.

I still can't get over the fact that the guy in the first trailer looks like a Kingdom Hearts character.

And now I will never unsee this.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-06 02:40:18

So a generic magical moeblob JRPG with a shitty trailer that shows such a limited amount of actual ingame art assets that it's easily mistaken for a fighter.

This is actually starting to sell it less for me  :|

• edited 2013-09-06 05:47:03
    There is love everywhere, I already know

shitty trailer

That's the OP, which looks like a movie on purpose, not the trailer or CM or anything.

I do understand that you aren't interested in it or anything but it is a pretty niche thing in a genre that I'm pretty interested in.

• edited 2013-09-06 05:43:12

Wait which one are we talking about?  The first one, right, which like no gameplay footage?

Because I thought Odin Sphere was a JRPG.  So I figured that was the first one and the second was the generic moeblob fighter?  Or maybe I'm wrong?

Edit: Oh, I see, it's the OP, then it makes sense there's no gameplay footage.

Actual Trailer

• We're finally (FINALLY) getting TitS 2.  PSP, Vita, and Steam, digital-only, 2014.  XSEED publishing, with help from Carpe Fulgur in translating the huge-ass script.  We're also getting the PC version of the first TitS in a few months. 

FINALLY

What an unfortunate acronym.

• There's a reason that both XSEED and CF always refer to the series as "Trails" rather than TitS. 

• So that is what Carpe Fulgur has been working on, good to know.

digital-only

D:

TitS

It took me forever to realize you were talking about Legend of the Heroes.

hooooooooooooooooooooooly shit yes

FINALLY

And so it IS the game that smart money thought it was: a collab with XSEED on a game with a huge-ass script.

Also, Project 4 wins; Terraria's new patch hasn't been released yet.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-06 19:54:33

Well, I would've been interested in the Castle of Illusion remake on Steam...if it didn't require 10 GB and a quad-core to run.  Somehow.

The graphics aren't even all that spectacular.  It just looks like they have horribly inefficient lighting and way too much bloom.

• To be or not to be? That is the question.

So I decided to download War Thunder on a whim, and...

It's a fantastic aerial combat game, whenever you're playing it on arcade mode or in the more realistic modes. Although it gets grindy, the gameplay keeps winning me over, and the satisfaction of shooting down loads of planes (Or bombing ground targets) will be there... If I don't get shot down, that is.

If you guys want to play War Thunder, I'm AttObl. Expect me to fly for Germany or Russia the most, but I'll fly with other nations as well.