If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Revenge in video games is distinctly less fun than I remember (SPOILERS)

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Magus' lack of dual techs actively makes the whole in-battle party weaker in most cases, anyway. Dual techs are the most MP-efficient means of dealing damage, so Magus either costs the party time or costs them MP. He's powerful and versatile in his own right, but is pretty much a mechanically standard JRPG character in a game that throws a spanner in the works in terms of standard JRPG balance. 

His lack of dual techs is actually a great marriage of narrative and mechanics, but it has the downside of making him the least efficient party member, except alone. 

• edited 2013-04-21 11:01:57
    Definitely not gay.

Pretty much his only redeeming factor is Dark Matter.

Magus is the most powerful magic caster in a game where you're going to need magical muscle. He's the best Water tech user in the game and has the best single wipeout tech in the game. 

^ And then you get the Silver Stud, rendering MP irrelevant. Chrono Trigger really is a forgiving game, innit. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

It is, to the extent that the Silver Stud isn't necessary, or the de facto best choice for a given character's accessory slot. Well, I suppose you might want it on Magus, since he's an MP sink, but otherwise there are so many effective, low-cost dual techs that I found better options. 

• edited 2013-04-21 11:20:11
    But you never had any to begin with.
    Magus is the most powerful magic caster in a game where you're going to need magical muscle.

Dark Matter is inferior to Flare (and Luminaire and Shock, although getting Robo/Crono to those levels of magic stats is entirely unlikely) in terms of power, and has already been mentioned, he has no access to Dual Techs, which is pretty crippling.

• edited 2013-04-21 11:37:39
    Definitely not gay.

he has no access to Dual Techs, which is pretty crippling.

It was mentioned that Dual Techs were good because they were MP-efficient, I believe. As I mentioned, though, there's an item in the game that renders MP irrelevant. 

Flare is superior in firepower to Dark Matter, but Magus is faster than Lucca, which means Dark Matter can be used more in the long run and makes up for Dark Matter's slightly decreased power. And why would you bother with Luminaire when Crono already has one of the best physical techs in the form of Confuse?

Magus is also the only character that can use every element in the game, which transforms those immune/absorb enemies from annoying gimmicks to low-hanging fruit.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Luminaire outdamages Frenzy/Confuse. And is multi target.

• Definitely not gay.

Let me rephrase that. 

Luminaire is great, I never meant to question that. It's very powerful, but Flare and Dark Matter both outdamage it. While it can reach better levels of power than Dark Matter if you grind really hard, why would you bother when you've already got two superior and more easily accessible nuke techs than it? 

Because having Magus in your party reduces your options. If we assume your party has a makeup of Crono, Lucca, Magus, then you no longer have access to any dual techs except for Fire Whirl and Fire Sword/II. You're deprived of stuff like Antipode 3, Frog Flare, Falcon Strike, and Double Bomb.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

IJBM: there's no use for the Confuse spell's doing damage in four parts rather than one chunk.

• Typically, doing damage in multiple parts is just a way to make the spell less useful against heavily armored enemies (because defense gets applied multiple times) or to surpass the damage limit (because you're playing Final Fantasy).

Yeah, it means Crono can break the damage cap.

...he can?

• Definitely not gay.

If he reaches level **, yeah.

• edited 2013-04-22 12:57:36
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Isn't the damage cap 9999?

He doesn't even come close at level 50; he does like maybe 900 max damage with each hit from what I recall.

• Definitely not gay.

If he reaches level **, he can deal 9999 damage four times over. 

The damage ramps up exponentially with level?

• edited 2013-04-22 14:20:14
    But you never had any to begin with.

There are 3 attack formulas for basic attacks in Chrono Trigger, not including special weapons such as the Crisis Arm:

Male characters have a formula of Attack = (Power * 4/3) + (Weapon * 5/9)

Lucca and Marle's is Attack = (Hit + Weapon) * 2/3)

Ayla's is Attack = (Power * 1.75) + (Level^2 ÷ 45.5).

The damage formula is Damage = (Attack * 2) + (Rand). Assuming you don't pump tabs, Crono maxes his power at level 69.

• edited 2013-04-23 01:06:15
    I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

I still don't get half of what goes on in FF2.

But in regards of revenge, Max Payne 3 suffered a lot from me getting revenge on people that I don't really know. Its kind of a case where unlike the first game where you are a man on a vendetta of semi-lucidity. In Max Payne 3 it seemed like things were just sort of happening and you were a drunk bouncing around in the favela.

That is fine and all, but then the game suddenly goes "YOU REALLY WANT REVENGE" and the narrative was all sorts of fucked.

The only time I went for revenge in a game that was satisfying was probably in CoD 4 with Al-Asad and Angry One Armed Russian dude.

• edited 2013-04-27 12:05:51
    Definitely not gay.

I felt sorry for Wheatley too.  Poor impressionable dumbass just had no sense of self-restraint :(

I agree. Wheatley seemed too ignorant to be truly malevolent, and getting back at him seemed...hollow. Empty, somehow. I felt like a bully, even if not stopping him meant dooming both me, GLaDOS and Wheatley himself to a horrible death. I guess that either shows how well Valve was at making him sympathetic or how horrendously they screwed up a revenge plot.

Also, this totally doesn't apply in multiplayer situations. It is immensely satisfying to gun a teammate down at the finale of a Left 4 Dead campaign because he deliberately locked you in a room with a Hunter previously.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    How would you get a revenge plot out of Portal 2 is beyond me without some serious mental gymnastics. Portal has always been about escape, not revenge.
  • You can change. You can.

Well there is a revenge, but it's not on Chell's side of things.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Portal 3, but this time, Chell is the AI and GlaDOS is the prisoner.

IN HER MIND.

• Definitely not gay.

I dunno, I'd think that if someone tried to kill you via various spike traps you'd want revenge too.

• Yeah, but that's not what the game is ABOUT. Escape is the primary objective.
  • edited 2013-04-29 10:08:10
    Definitely not gay.

No, the primary objective of the Wheatley levels is to reinstall GLaDOS so Wheatley doesn't inadvertently doom everyone (including himself) to a horrible death by explosion. 

And I felt pretty vengeful after what he did to me in Chapter 9. 

That's a mandatory component of escape. If the place explodes, you can't escape.

• Definitely not gay.

Tell that to Vin Diesel. 

• Obviously Portal 2 was a romance. Wheatly's love was a self-destructive kind that started out comical and charming at first, until he got power.

• Definitely not gay.

What does that make GLaDOS, then?

...Oh no, no, no. Don't answer that question don't answer that question don't answer that question don't answer that question 

• edited 2013-05-03 22:28:55
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    The otp. Unfortunetly, she let Chell go in the end. It was obvious from the song she still had feelings for Chell.