If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Revenge in video games is distinctly less fun than I remember (SPOILERS)

edited 2013-04-03 21:14:31 in Media
Definitely not gay.

So I killed Magus in CT. 

I genuinely had a reason to do so (I'm doing a No Crono, No Magus run of CT for one of the endings), but I'd be lying if I said I didn't do it partially out of a desire for good old revenge. The thing is, I didn't derive any enjoyment from it. I just felt this queasy feeling in my stomach (a really small feeling, because it's still just a fucking game) and a bit of disappointment. 

Come to think of it, this is also how I felt at the end of Portal 2. While Wheatley really did want to kill me, for some reason I couldn't derive enjoyment from stranding him in space forever. 

Revenge is supposed to be fun! Come on, guys.

Comments

• I'm a damn twisted person
    You are feeling your childhood slip away and being replaced with the realization that revenge is stupid and only tools care about it
  • edited 2013-04-03 21:31:01
    Definitely not gay.

revenge is stupid and only tools care about it

I have the perfect response to this.

More seriously, I think this is just video-game specific. I remember enjoying Django thoroughly because the second bit was just basically one long revenge-fest.

• You might not like Revenge, but how about....

Spoiler:

• edited 2013-04-03 21:37:00
    Definitely not gay.

I want revenge on Raiden too.

:(

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I think maybe it is because games don't use good enough reasons for revenge anymore. It's always your wife getting killed, or your children getting taken away, or your hometown was destroyed.

• You can change. You can.

Red Dead Redemption does feel pretty cathartic.

Until the end. Then it's just utterly depressing. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I think maybe it is because games don't use good enough reasons for revenge anymore. It's always your wife getting killed, or your children getting taken away, or your hometown was destroyed.

Those cliches aren't exactly new. In fact, I'm fairly certain they're older than I am.

• I think maybe it is because games don't use good enough reasons for revenge anymore. It's always your wife getting killed, or your children getting taken away, or your hometown was destroyed.

I've got it!

Your home town is taken away, your children are killed, and your wife is destroyed.... Hmmm
    No wait, another idea, your children's hometown is killed, your wife is taken to your children, and your children are plagued with syphilis.

• You can change. You can.

Honestly, I just think that it's saturation plus the fact that writing in vidya tends to be sub-par.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-04 01:08:24

The first time I played Chrono Trigger I didn't know you could recruit Magus by declining that fight.

I felt sorry for Wheatley too.  Poor impressionable dumbass just had no sense of self-restraint :(

• Only chumps want revenge.

Are you a chump? Or a master of the world?

Also, if avenging your significant other, your family, or your community aren't good reasons, then there ARE no good reasons.
  • edited 2013-04-04 02:46:01
    Kill them! KILL THEM ALL!

I think I have to care about what I'm supposed to be avenging first. 

If they don't make me care about the character's community, family or significant other then that's just terrible.

Unfortunately, there aren't many video games that have gotten me to care. 

Meh, they're dead. Alright, whatever.

• Are you a chump? Or a master of the world?

False dichotomy

• But you never had any to begin with.

I dunno, killing Jack at the end of Borderlands 2 is pretty cathartic.

• Yeah, but by that point it's not actually revenge, because you're not doing for yourself. By that point Jack's gained the curse of everyone on Pandora except you, so killing him is just halting evil in its tracks.

• The final boss' death in Bioshock was quite cathartic, too. Though I bet it'd be traumatic if it happened in real life.

Yeah, but by that point it's not actually revenge, because you're not doing for yourself. By that point Jack's gained the curse of everyone on Pandora except you, so killing him is just halting evil in its tracks.

I guess it depends. In particular, if you played Borderlands, you have a personal stake in his death.

• I did, and I didn't feel that I did. Unless you mean that since the "player" was present in both games, you owe Jack something, which is frankly a little ridiculous because there was never a constant player character avatar for Jack to do things to. 

And well, there is that whole thing with Angel, which I suppose counts as she was a friend.

I meant the whole killing Roland/Bloodwing thing.

• There's only so much catharsis you can derive from the same scene after a number of times.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Wait, how did he kill them permanently? I mean death is cheap on Pandora. Write some block code for their genetic code into the revive chamber network?

Hyperion runs the New-U stations, remember. Jack likely closed down the account when he decided to murder anyone who isn't a member of Hyperion's work force. And Bloodwing probably didn't have one in the first place, because bird.

• edited 2013-04-04 12:36:56
    "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

^^ Hyperion owns the revive network. The only reason they revive the main character is so that Jack can kill him/her/them himself.

Pseudo Ninja'd?

The main character's constant resurrections are pretty much justified throughout the game. Start -> The attack on Sanctuary: You're Jack's tool. That moment -> The preservation: Jack doesn't consider you a threat, and it's easy money for Hyperion, so why not? The preservation -> Angel's death: Angel's personal protection. Angel's death -> The final boss: Jack's personal protection.

• Yeah, but there were Borderlands 1 players who didn't play as Mordecai. So they're not going to feel vengeful against Jack for that.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I didn't play as Mordecai in the first game and I was still pretty pissed.

That's actually the only thing that Jack's done so far in the game that's actually gotten under my skin, most of the human characters are pretty forgettable honestly.

• Definitely not gay.

Man, I suddenly wish there was an option to leave Magus alive, but prevent him from entering the party. That way Frog gets to be all "blah blah blah I'm the bigger man" and Magus gets denied his revenge on Lavos. 

• a little muffled

You could just, not use him?

• Definitely not gay.

This is from a story perspective. From a gameplay perspective, not recruiting Magus is tactical suicide. 

From a gameplay perspective, not recruiting Magus is tactical suicide.

What? He's not even close to being necessary. Pretty much his only redeeming factor is Dark Matter.