If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    SO MANY QUESTIONS NOT ENOUGH ANSWERS
  • edited 2013-03-26 16:34:37

I disagree; I can tell when an attack deals roughly 520 damage, when it's dealing, say, 510 once and 526 another time and then 523 a third time and 518 a fourth time.

I think Alex means that in a lot of RPGs, it's very difficult to tell how effective new equipment or abilities will be before you use them since video game RPGs tend to use really unintuitive calculations for things.  Because obviously once you actually use it you know how strong it is.  At least, on that one enemy.  But if you don't know the way damage calculations work, it's hard to tell if, for instance, it'd be better to spend your money on raising your weapon's attack power by 10 or raising your defense by the same, or even just saving your money and waiting until there are better things available.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, on a related note, what about the element of discovery in some RPGs, such as how Nethack basically doesn't tell you anything, and you have to identify everything at a cost to yourself (learning a spell or using a scroll of identify, or experiencing the effects first-hand)?

• edited 2013-03-26 21:56:48
    Loser

I am not sure if people have already seen it, but the person who runs this site has translated a bunch of game developer interviews and other stuff. It seems like Zelda is her main focus, but there are also some interviews about games like Star Fox, Pokemon, and such.

Also, there is an interview with Koji Kondo on the site about composing video game music that I think some people here might find interesting.

• Kichigai birthday!!

Remember that Tuba Croc game I posted about some time ago? It got a demo released 

It's hard as balls

• edited 2013-03-26 23:02:48

Well, I managed to get a C on Night Flight Ex.  So that's something, maybe.

The control scheme is hard to get used to and it's pretty uncomfortable on top of that.  I think if you can deal with that though it's probably not too hard, since it's basically just Guitar Hero but with a more standard (and more difficult) scoring system.  Also the spit valve mechanic, but at least in the songs in the demo, it's pretty easy to manage that.  That said, it is definitely hard for me for the time being because upside-down Guitar Hero controls.

• So I decided to pick up English Country Tune on Steam while it's on sale for $2.  A bit minimalist, but some pretty ingenious puzzles.

• I got a revolver.

Hell yeah.

• edited 2013-03-27 14:43:04
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/tales-from-the-trenches-how-microsoft-is-losing-the-battle-for-indie-develo

So, this article is about how while Sony and Nintendo are really trying to step up their systems' strengths when it comes to publishing indie games, Microsoft is still extremely antagonistic to them, to the point that they won't even work with indie developers who don't partner with major publishers (which seems to kind of defeat the purpose of the term).

Anyway, I was reading this, and it made me think about the fact that I haven't touched my 360 in over two years.

Remembering why is hard, but I think it can be summarized by three things:

1. There aren't a lot of exclusive titles on 360, which means that for almost any game, I can just buy the PC version (my first choice, these days, as they tend to be cheaper and more immediately accessible to me), or the PS3 version if there isn't one. Pretty much the only 360 exclusive I'm even considering getting is Halo 4, and it's so far down my list priorities-wise that that's almost certainly never going to happen.

2. Frequently, the 360 version of a non-exclusive game is objectively the worst version. I remember when I got Left 4 Dead, I had a lot of fun with the single-player, but couldn't play online because you have to buy a subscription for that, even though if you have a non-360 version, it's free. I didn't really mind that too much, but then I also heard that a bunch of its DLC wasn't coming to the 360 because Microsoft didn't want to distribute free DLC. So I kind of felt like the decision to buy it on 360 was a huge mistake. I think the only two games I've bought on 360 since were Alan Wake, an exclusive at the time, and BlazBlue, which I got on 360 because that version happened to be cheaper on Amazon, and barely played because while I liked it, I am terrible at fighting games.

3. In the time I haven't been using the 360, everything I hear about changes to it makes it sound less appealing. Apparently, it mostly exists for ads at this point? No thanks.

And it's looking like Microsoft is probably going to extend its current attitudes to its next system.

So...I'm normally someone who, by default, buys all the game systems, but I think that might end up changing next generation.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but I kind of feel like Microsoft needs to reexamine its priorities if it wants to stay in this business.

• You can change. You can.

Man, I still can't manage to pull off that fucking request in Persona 3 for a Vetala with Maragi. Does anyone who actually fucking understands fusion know how to do this because i swear i'm going bonkers trying to get a complete compendium here

• Kichigai birthday!!
    By the way, surprising absolutely nobody, The Phantom Pain and MGS Ground Zeroes have been confirmed to be both MGS 5
  • But you never had any to begin with.

Man, I still can't manage to pull off that fucking request in Persona 3 for a Vetala with Maragi. Does anyone who actually fucking understands fusion know how to do this because i swear i'm going bonkers trying to get a complete compendium here

Easiest one I can think of off the top of my head is by fusing an Ara Mitama with a Pyro Jack. (...You do know you can reroll inherited skills, right?)

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Yeah, Persona 4's ability to choose which skills are inherited was a godsend for that.

But yeah, just get a walkthrough for that shit. 

Persona 4's ability to choose which skills are inherited was a godsend for that.

That was exclusive to The Golden.

Ah, ok. I didn't do the requests until Golden so there we are. It was still something that simplified it greatly.

It was also in Devil Survivor: Overclocked though.

Which reminds me that my pre-order for that should arrive tomorrow, two years after America.

But yeah, rerolling for an archangel with Media and other good skills to take down Yukiko's Shadow was irritating.

Easiest one I can think of off the top of my head is by fusing an Ara Mitama with a Pyro Jack. (...You do know you can reroll inherited skills, right?)

Tried that. And yeah, I'm aware, but I keep getting shit like Tarukaja/Provoke instead of Maragi and it's like why

^^Hope you like grinding. I'd advise doing the worst ending first because then you can bring over your monsters in a new game+

• edited 2013-03-27 16:18:51
    But you never had any to begin with.

I've beaten the SNES SMT games. Grinding is nothing. And I've actually played a little of DS, although I only got to whatever comes just after smashing Wendigo into a fine paste.

You are either a much better gamer than I or a much more masochistic one.

I couldn't even get through Persona 1. 

• edited 2013-03-27 17:03:50
    But you never had any to begin with.

This was my final team from SMT I. You decide.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-03-27 17:13:27

So, this article is about how while Sony and Nintendo are really trying to step up their systems' strengths when it comes to publishing indie games, Microsoft is still extremely antagonistic to them, to the point that they won't even work with indie developers who don't partner with major publishers (which seems to kind of defeat the purpose of the term).

Which is weird, because XNA is an amazing platform for indie devs, is free, and has probably done more for indie games by itself than everything else combined.  I mean, talk about mixed messages.

I'm tentative. Persona 4's anime was disappointing, because the way the narrative is framed in snippets doesn't completely work for an anime.

Of them I actually think Persona 2 would make the best animu.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

So...I'm normally someone who, by default, buys all the game systems, but I think that might end up changing next generation.

I'm not going to be buying any of them, most likely, so you're in good company.

I'm tentative. Persona 4's anime was disappointing, because the way the narrative is framed in snippets doesn't completely work for an anime.

Honestly, all I really want is Mitsuru kicking a tank in full HD.

and possibly, Akihiko punching Nyx out. 

Yeah, the animation will probably be good, which was another of the Persona 4 anime's problems.

But yeah, more seriously, it seems like it'll be a series of movies, if the subtitle is anything to go by. I can see the story being told in like three movies if done right and paced out. Assuming they go for a 1:1 adaptation of the main plot, which I hope they don't, because even that is quite thick for three movies, in my opinion.

Well, they're probably going to cut out the social links entirely which on the one hand, that narrative social sim aspect is a big part of Persona's success but on the other, the P4 animu did not handle them well at alll.