If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Forming and playing with guilds mainly. That's how endgame in WoW generally worked.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

In the case of GW2 (which I've been playing a lot the last few weeks), unlike other MMOs, you can just help a random person defeat a monster, and no one person gets crapped out of experience or loot. THe big random events and monsters are the best ones. It's random, and no one has to form a party first.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So playing with random people IS intentional, even if you'll never see them again.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^Yeah, but in GW2's case, the game doesn't actively punish you for doing it.

You mean with things like awarding less EXP?

Yeah.

• edited 2013-02-09 02:51:33
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

naruto: ninja storm 3 is looking amazing.

Starting a Dwarf Fortress file.

Liveblog y/n

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Found out Iji. I admit, I'm not the fastest one around. Recommending nevertheless.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    How's the PC port of DMC3? I saw yesterday in a store for 4 €uros and it seems my potato can run it, so why not?
  • You can change. You can.

It seems like the sort of game that should be played with a joystick, though.

• But you never had any to begin with.

The DMC3 port is terrible. Thankfully they made up for it with the wonderful DMC4 port (aside from the fact that you should never try playing that game with a keyboard), but yeah, it's awful.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Liveblog y/n

Y

• Champion of the Whales

Re: about MMOs

The best bit in WoW for me was when I was a guild leader of a raid guild

The worst part was it fell apart

• First-ever Wasteland 2 gameplay. Looks pretty swell.

• edited 2013-02-09 22:23:39
    "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

@nohay:

I heard it was very shitty, but I never played it.

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

DMC3 port was legendarily bad.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-02-09 23:22:59

What kind of socializing do they expect, other than "hey, are you doing this quest?" "yeah" "wanna form a party" "sure"?

It's part luck and part what you make of it.  Most of the people you group with are random heads you'll either never see again or will see around sporadically just because servers are kind of like a suburban town and it's difficult not to know half the people there, directly or by reputation.  When I was on WoW, I wasn't a big name by any stretch, but I'd nonetheless tanked for a good chunk of the server sometime or other, and probably a good quarter of the ones who stuck around long enough to level-cap would have recognized me.  Even just dicking around farming something, I'd typically /who the area and see a lot of familiar faces.

Every several runs or so I'd wind up with a dungeon group I liked enough to keep in contact with -- one random pickup group of heads I jumped in with nearly got one of the harder timed runs -- and the guild was...well, usually fun, though like any group of friends they'd drive me up the wall after a while.  Raids were generally a couple hours of pure schmoozing interspersed with stubbornly beating our heads against a few fights that were actually hard, and that sort of thing usually inspires either good camaraderie or seething hatred depending on how well your group clicks.  Several of us met IRL every once in a while.  I hung out in Vegas with one of our hunters, a couple of the Canadians realized they lived in the same province and both worked at the same corner store several years previous, and two of them wound up getting married.  I'd drop in on the guild Vent every once in a while long after I left the game just to hang out with them.

Granted, WoW was relatively unusual in that it typically didn't ever penalize you for small groups, and as the game matured the raids actually got pretty fun.  A whole lot of other MMORPGs will do some kind of stupid thing or poor balance that disincentivizes groups outside of absurdly tedious raid bosses.

Should I get dragon's dogma?

It's pretty awesome, but has a lot of flaws. I've described it as a likely predecessor to the best action-RPG ever.

The good parts are REALLY good. Combat, especially against large enemies, is just damn cool.

The problems...basically, the world is too damn big and empty and the paths you'll take through it tend to repeat themselves. Also there's no way of knowing what level a given quest is balanced for, but as long as you're leveling at a good pace that's no big deal.

Why is Dragon Age: Origins 24 gigabytes in size?

• edited 2013-02-10 03:26:56
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Because it's a really, really big game. And that's probably the Ultimate edition, which contains an expansion which is basically another really big game.

On my file, getting through both main campaigns took sixty hours, and there are still four mini-campaigns I haven't done, and this is the sort of game where any given playthrough will miss large amounts of content.

Seems like Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is gonna have the full original game, plus more content. That comes out in April.

I'll probably just wait for that.

• edited 2013-02-10 03:34:20
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I don't think Dark Arisen is hitting retail shelves. I'm pretty sure it's DLC.

Wait, never mind, it is. Huh.

And...buying the retail version gives you unlimited Ferrystones. So basically they're compensating for their bad design by letting you cheat if you give them $40. Fuck Capcom.

No, I think the ferrystones are for people who already had the game.

I might jusr get it now if I can find it cheap. I keep seeing more I like.

• The good parts are REALLY good. Combat, especially against large enemies, is just damn cool.

To be expected from the guys who made DMC 3 and 4.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Just wanted to say that LOTRO is amazing.

Finished everything in Dragon Age: Origins except Darkspawn Chronicles and Leliana's Song. Having finished up my Warden's story, I feel like it's time for a break from Dragon Age, so on a whim, I bought Guild Wars 2.

It's...taking a bit to download.

• Kichigai birthday!!

Started getting into Xenoblade. I don't normally like JRPG's but this one is pretty nice.

Also the art design is amazing, but man do the character models suck.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Ironweaver - is it true that bards can make insults so strong they set people on fire?