If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A thread for puzzles and riddles.

124»

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Shouldn't matter, since the person could presumably pick any 5 cards they want, regardless of where they are in the deck.

One of the more common tricks among stage magicians is getting the audience members to pick the cards they want them to. I believe one of the more common methods is through pushing the cards they want picked slightly more 'out' than the others.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-08-12 03:59:00

It is wholly independent of what cards are picked.  That's a way of hedging your bets a little to work with easier ones most of the time, but any good trick will be able to deal with arbitrary cards, because you will have to eventually and you don't want to look like a tool when it happens.  That, or it's a situation where the specific card doesn't matter because you've rigged things even more elaborately (Svengali deck), but in this case there's no such tampering.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be. I just wanted to know because I had a theory that I since discarded. Then I responded to DYRE.

• No rainbow star

I should find my MindTrap cards...

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-08-12 21:24:03

Here is a breakdown of the card trick, for anyone interested.

• No rainbow star

So anybody going to post a riddle, or should I break out MindTrap?

• I'd have to abstain from answering since I probably remember most of those.

• No rainbow star

I found one NOT in my copy of MineTrap:

What's behind the Green Glass Door?

There are pillows but no feathers

There are books but no paper

There are spoons but no forks

What else is behind the Green Glass Door, and why these objects are there?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

stuff

and because reasons

• No rainbow star

^ Well, stuff WOULD be behind the Green Glass Door, but things wouldn't :P

• Words with doubled letters are behind the Green Glass Door.

• No rainbow star

^ Yep. Your turn

• edited 2012-08-13 13:55:13

Is it legal, er, okay to start a game that is based on a GSN game?

IS there email notification on this site? Geesh! I hope so... otherwise, I'll have to find this post.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

You can click the star at the top of the thread page; that will bookmark the thread and updates to the thread will show up in your right side bar.

• No rainbow star

Hello? Anybody home?