If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A thread for puzzles and riddles.

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Nobody's got it yet?

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Nope. Damn difficult.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Not me. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Should I just give you the answer then and find a new riddle?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Probably.

Well played, Nova. Well played indeed. :>

kewl

The answer is:

> Startling

> Starting

> Staring

> String

> Sting

> Sing

> Sin

> In

> I

So, for my next riddle.

You live in a house. In the attic, there are three lightbulbs. In the living room, there are three switches that correspond to one of the lightbulbs each. You are only allowed one trip to the attic. How do you find out which switch corresponds to which lightbulb?

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Ooh I know this one, when I was in scouts as a young child we had a night of these.

You turn two on for a bit, then turn one off.
    Then you go to the attic and you have the one you left on, one bulb that is warm which was the one you just switched off and the cold one that was never turned on.

Stupid scouts messing it up >:|

Yeah, that's how you do it.

• edited 2012-03-06 17:48:05

Turn on two switches, wait, turn off one switch. Go up stairs. The light that's still on is the on switch, the light that's cold is the off switch and the one that is warm is the one that was both. 

NINJAD

• No rainbow star

Nova: The word one has multiple answers (I looked it up when I got stumped ^^;)

Of course it does.

• edited 2012-08-11 23:16:53
    No rainbow star

So, uh, let's revive this and maybe get a rule added that if the person who solved the riddle hasn't put up a new one in 24 hours, then somebody else can?

You are captured for helping an enemy kingdom, and are brought in front of three knights. One is blonde, one has red hair, and one has black. One of these knights is the Knight of Life, one is the Knight of Death, and one is the Knight of the Dungeon. You must select a knight

If you select the Knight of Life, then you are set free. The Knight of Death, and you get put to death. Knight of the Dungeon, and you are locked away for the rest of your life. However, you are not told which knight is which

To make it a bit easier, you are allowed to ask one question. All three of them must answer this question. What is the question you must ask, and why?

EDIT: And somehow I forgot the core of the riddle: The Knight of Life can only tell the truth. The Knight of Death only lies. The Knight of the Dungeon sometimes speaks the truth and sometimes lies

"Which of you is the Knight of Life?"

Usually there's a stipulation, like "One only tells lies etc"...

• edited 2012-08-11 23:24:45
    No rainbow star

^ Yeah, I forgot that and editted in as soon as I remembered >.< Guess you were already posting when I editted

Edit did beat your post by a minute, though...

I took my time to think it through, in case there was something missing...

Anyway, I don't know if it's actually possible to tell with just one question.

• No rainbow star

It is possible

If it isn't solved by tomorrow, I'll put up the question and leave just the reasoning to you guys

• edited 2012-08-11 23:37:52

"If I ask blonde (or black or red, doesn't matter but you would have to specify one of them) if he's the knight of life, would he say 'yes'?" should at least let you avoid instant death, with a greater than 50% chance you'd be set free, since I think only the knight of life and the knight of dungeon should be able to say yes to that.  Not currently sure how to do better than that.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0327.html

Not sure what the solution is here, given the variable amswer from one of them, but I figured I'd share anyway.
  • edited 2012-08-11 23:42:17
    No rainbow star

^^ Not the right question, but on the right track there

Although I am now trying to figure out exactly what all the possibilities there are

• In retrospect, my proposed question could have just been "does 1=1?" or something equally dumb without changing the end result.

Not that it matters, since it's not the actual solution.

• edited 2012-08-12 00:22:29

Are you the Knight of the Dungeon and is the Knight of the Dungeon saying the truth and are you saying the truth?

If the Knight of the Dungeon is saying the truth:

KoL would answer "no" because it is false that he is the KotD.

KoD would answer "yes" because it is false that the KotD is saying the truth.

KotD would answer "yes" because it is true that he is the KotD and that the KotD is saying the truth and that he is saying the truth.

If the KotD is lying:

KoD would answer "yes" because it is false that he is the KotD.

KotD would answer "yes" because it is false that he is saying the truth.

Summary: Whoever answers "no" is the Knight of Life.

My head hurts.

Edit edit edit: That last part of the question would probably go better as "are you in truth mode" instead.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-08-12 00:23:38

I'm not sure there is an answer to this.  The 50/50 one is potentially indistinguishable from the correct one for a single question.

"If I ask the Knight of Dungeons if they're the Knight of Life, would she say yes?" would at least force the correct one to say "maybe", but the 50/50 one might as well.

^

If the Knight of the Dungeon is saying the truth:

KoD would answer "yes" because it is false that the KotD is saying the truth.

KotD would answer "yes" because it is true that he is the KotD and that the KotD is saying the truth and that he is saying the truth.

You got that borked.  KoD would say no there.  Also lol cheating with compound questions.

• KoD would answer "yes" because it is false that the KotD is saying the truth.

Are you allowed to do that?  Would the other knights know in advance about whether or not the knight of the dungeon would be telling the truth?

• edited 2012-08-12 00:41:50

I assumed so. Though the KoD would say "yes" anyway as it is false that he is the KotD.

Edit: ^^ Good catch, though still he'd say "yes", so...

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-08-12 00:21:27

Except that's not how an and works.

Are you KotD && Is KotD true && Are you true   (lie on all of them)

Yes && No && Yes  --> NO

• edited 2012-08-12 00:27:38
    No rainbow star

You know that you're not limited to yes and no questions, right?

EDIT: Now I'm worried I missed something and typed the whole thing wrong... x.x

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-08-12 00:27:37

Look, if you want to cheat with a compound question, just do "Does 1=1 and are you Life?"

1=1 knocks out Death and Dungeon Lie.  Are you Life knocks out Dungeon Truth.  Life is the only one who'd say yes.

• Does 1=1 and are you Life?

For Death:

1=1?  True.  Are you Life? False

True && False = False

NOT False = True

so Death would say yes.

Since it'd be really silly if they had to lie to themselves about the answer of each part of a compound question, especially if it meant they'd end up telling the truth when they actually give their answer...

You know that you're not limited to yes and no questions, right?

Yes and no questions have a lot less variables.

• No rainbow star

It's the variables that allow it to work though

Although once again I'm wondering if I forgot to consider something...