If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Steam Summer Sale 2012

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So I guess I got lucky yet again and found someone willing to buy me the bundle in return for Recettear.  Bartering, ho?  Anyway, now I have Audiosurf, Greed Corp, Ys Oath, and two other games I didn't really pay attention to until now (Gemini Rue and The Tiny Bang Story).  Thanks goes to RocketDude for this; apologies go to anyone who wanted Recettear and would have done this deal.

And with that, I think I should be set for gaming for...let's be honest, quite a while.  And if I keep on wasting time like I did this evening (when I wasted a perfectly good four hours that I could have spent reading or gaming), it'll be even longer.  There are only about four or five other games (plus the Fate of the World DLC) I really, truly want and are available on places like Desura, Steam, and other digital distribution sites, and aside from this, I have the start of an intensive course of study coming up, wherein I'll be dealing with the details of what one could say is a real-life save-the-world quest.  (Yes, I know my Steam wishlist has over 40 items, but that only means I have at least some passing interest in these game; I add stuff to it on a whim.)

Instead, from this point forward, I should acknowledge the generosity of the several people who have helped me acquire games, and express my appreciation of all of you--not just those that have bought me stuff but also the rest of you who've together made IJBM a cool place.

I can't do anything for you right at this moment (I only wish I could), but...I'll think of something.

...I can't help but think that this post makes me sound like an idiot trying to grandstand or something.  Maybe I shouldn't stay up until 2:30 AM.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I should be set for gaming for...let's be honest, quite a while

I'm pretty much always set for gaming for quite a while, but there always seems to be that one awesome thing I want...:/

• edited 2012-07-18 03:03:10
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

For the current vote, I went with Driver: San Fransisco. I've played it a bit, and it's really good, and I don't even like driving games.

• Oh, and now the Carpe Fulgur pack is on sale, including Reccetear. FML.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    First Commandment, man. First Commandment.

and I owe RocketDude five bucks.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-18 14:08:36

Fucking hell, right when the one package I wanted out of this entire sale comes up, I'm in a mountain lodge with a 50 kbps connection that can barely pull up Steam at all and randomly cuts out for hours  >:(

EDIT: And my credit card just got declined for some reason.  Double FML.

EDIT 2: Took it the second time.  I guess it was just lost packets or something.

What's your Steam username?

• edited 2012-07-18 14:41:03
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

A little late but:

Daily Deals for July 18th:

Carpe Fulgur Pack (Reccetear, Chantelise, and Fortune Summoner) 75% off

L.A Noire 75% off

Super Meat Boy 75% off

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion 25% off

Total War Mega Pack 75% off

Thief series 75% off

Age of Empires Online 75% off

S.T.A.L.K.E.R series 75% off

Indie Bundle VII (Avadon: The Black Fortress, Dungeons of Dredmore, Q.U.B.E, Vessel, and Zombie Driver) 75% off

Current Community's Choice Winner:

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 75% off

Current Community's Choice Vote:

Sim City 4

Anno 2070

Cities XL 2012

Current Flash Deals:

The Binding of Issac 75% off

Saints Row the Third 75% off

Bastion 75% off

Dead Space 2 75%

• a little muffled

Thief: Deadly Shadows 75% off
    It's actually all Thief games that are discounted; I'm considering getting the first one.

fuck.

I want that too.

That will have to wait.

I just realized.

If i'm getting a new computer soon, I shouldn't have wasted time with those downloads at all.

So basically i can take the entire steamapps folder, throw it on an external hard drive, then throw it on the new computer after installing Steam?

Well, that's convenient.

• God damn it, I hate when third parties give away steam keys for free. Steamgifts gets flooded by them. I just want to burn through my 143 points on games that I likely will not win. 

• a little muffled

Schweet, The Witcher is $2.50 again. (I missed it the first time.) Buying that shit.

• Bit Trip Runner is $2.50 right now...and still not remotely worth it.

• edited 2012-07-19 13:52:18
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Argh I'm slipping

Daily Deals for July 19th:

Sniper Elite V2 50% off

Fallout: New Vegas 75% off

Amnesia: The Dark Descent 75% off

Plants vs Zombies 75% off

Gratuitous Tank Battles 75% off

Alan Wake franchise 75% off

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings 60% off (The Witcher 1 75% off)

Krater 75% off

Indie Bundle VIII (Demolitions Inc., Hoard, SOL: Exodus, Swords and Soldiers HD, Wings of Prey) 75% off

Current Community's Choice Winner:

The Longest Journey 75% off

Current Community's choice Vote:

Dead Island

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Total War: Shogun II

Current Flash Deals:

Nexuiz 75% off

Left 4 Dead 75% off

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy 75% off

Jurassic Park: The Game 75% off

Do the Steam versions of the Thief games work on modern computers (e.g. Windows 7 64-bit, multi-core processor)?

I've heard that Thief 1 (that's Thief: the Dark Project or Thief Gold) have to be patched to work right.  And someone's said that they can't get past mission one on it on a SteamGifts thread...

• Not sure, I know GOG has an optimized version but I have heard the same complaints about Steam's.

• a little muffled

I probably should've checked into that before buying it. >_>

Please don't be another KotOR...

Okay, fuck Steam.  GOG for (allegedly) correctly-working and DRM-free version FTW.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Dead Island won the latest vote :/

Isn't it supposed to be, well...really bad?

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-19 18:34:09

The main problem that happens with old games on Steam is trying and failing to multiprocess.  For Riven I had to ctrl-alt-del out and set affinity, and I wound up having to make a batch file to run Rainslick Precipice because it'd crash on the initial loading screen before I could even hook out to the task manager.

• edited 2012-07-19 19:17:03
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I should be lucky that Starscape runs, then.  That's the oldest game I have on Steam, I think.

Anyway, I went out and bought a $20 Steam Wallet giftcard, so now I have a small amount of moneys, after taking care of some obligations.

Which game do you think I should get?

• A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda - Action platformer game created by an indie Thai developer, released 19 Jan 2011.  I hear this is an action game that plays kinda like Mega Man X.  My current computer might have trouble running this game properly, but I also might be getting a new computer soon.

• Fortune Summoners: Secrets of the Elemental Stone - Platformer action JRPG created by indie Japanese developer LizSoft, localized/published by Carpe Fulgur (famous for Recettear), released 30 Jan 2012.  I hear it's kinda hard.  I think the gameplay involves multiple characters, but you control one at a time and the others are controlled by the game's AI.

• Thief: Deadly Shadows - Third-person (3D) stealth (western-RPG?) game, developed by USA (Texas) developer ION Storm and published by Eidos/Squenix. released 11 June 2004.  Reportedly the only entry in the Thief series on Steam that actually works with modern computers.  Supposedly not as good as the first Thief game, but still quite good.

Note that if I get Thief or FS, I have to get it by the end of today.

• a little muffled

Allegedly this thing allows Thief to run on modern systems. I will try it at some point.

I've heard that the GOG version of Thief Gold actually works on modern systems, so I'm not bothering with Steam on that one.  It's DRM-free too.

But if you were to choose between one of the three games above, which would you choose, and why?

• a little muffled

I haven't played any of them or even heard much of anything about any of them so idklol.

• Go with Fortune Summoners, it's the only one you'll likely be able to run until you get a new computer. It is the only one I've played and you heard right about multiple characters and difficulty.

• Fortune Summoners is indeed pretty hard, as the AI is really good.  Case in point, the very first slime in the game will be bobbing and weaving around your attacks.  But then, so will your healer.

It's also fun as hell.