If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Images you know you'll never use. (Now NSFW)

Comments

• ^^ Please tell me that's shopped

D:

• No rainbow star
    I heard that the 6 days is a mistranslation and that each "day" is actually an era
  • My history teacher told me (IIRC) that the original words can be translated to something like "periods of time" and not days, or both. I don't quite recall which.

So, basically, that^

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Personally, I find it kinda odd that that's where people turn to point out...shall we say, oddities, in the bible.
  • No rainbow star
    Yeah, I know. Out of all the inconsistencies, they go for the one that was already explained =/
  • They also like to jump on the construction of the ark somehow saying pi = 3.

• edited 2012-03-13 18:41:17
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^THat one is technically true, but only if you assume it isn't just rounding for a clean number, which is pretty dumb :/
  • BeeBee
    edited 2012-03-13 18:45:58

Well yeah.  I mean you're a nomad carpenter.  You can't exactly chop off most of your arm to measure 0.14159... cubits.

Well you could, but you're not likely to be a carpenter for much longer.

• No rainbow star
    Speaking of which, the picking on every animal being on the ark and the flood. The "world" to them at the time could have easily been a valley or something. Not hard to get every species of animal then (especially if some things weren't counted as animals), and a valley flooding could happen

Anyways

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-03-13 21:57:00

I pay you in PINKIE DOLLARS

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

• @Legionnaire:

That's why I think anti-theists don't harass Buddhists quite as much as other religions. You probably won't ever hear something like that from the Pope.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I'm not sure about that. Catholicism isn't the most progressive religion around, but it's got really bad PR. The Catholic church seems to suffer a lot of osmotic blame for stuff other sects of Christianity get up to, especially American Protestants. Historically speaking, the Catholic church has been scientifically progressive for the most part with a few black marks. 

Remember that there was a long period of time when one of the most important functions of the church was education and scholasticism. It's removal from that role is relatively recent in the grand scheme of things, and it's been known to alter its policy based on science. At my heavily Catholic primary and secondary schools, for instance, evolution was 100% accepted and taught -- under the advisory that evolution is the "will of God", for how little that changes anything. 

North America did something really strange to Christianity as a whole and you can see it as early as the 17th century. For instance, the 15th century witch hunts were condemned by every religious authority at the time, and they only re-emerged in the North American colonies in the late 17th century -- far, far away from any central religious authority that could hold witch hunters accountable for their crimes on a spiritual level. 

Mind you, the Catholic church could stand to be better on a fair few topics -- contraceptive use springs to mind -- but it's hardly the evil shadow organisation some try to claim it is. In fact, the entire assumption that it hold homogeneous views is absurd. Infighting has existed in the Catholic church since its establishment as a major power and internal debate is constant. 

• edited 2012-03-15 09:58:18
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>and they only re-emerged in the North American colonies in the late 17th century

Those weren't actually witch hunts. Those were political squabbles over land. If you actually did admit to being a witch you could pay a fine and be done with it.

And while a lot of what you say is true, the idea that Catholicism hasn't been resistant to change over the centuries is laughable unless your forgetting about people like Darwin and Galileo.

• Fun fact: This thread is what I missed the most when I was banned.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

On the other hand, the Catholic church was a prominent force of change for centuries. It's been a few hundred years since the Catholic church could honestly be considered progressive, but it's erred towards that in the grand scheme of things. Obviously, we should absolutely hold Catholicism at large responsible for harmful policies and the like, but the idea that it was some kind of historical bad guy is ridiculous. 

• They're somethin' else.

• You can change. You can.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-03-15 18:52:48

And while a lot of what you say is true, the idea that Catholicism hasn't been resistant to change over the centuries is laughable unless your forgetting about people like Darwin and Galileo.

The Vatican very specifically made no statement on evolution whatsoever until they publicly announced they were okay with it.  The only particularly notable opposition was a small council of German bishops.  They voiced caution not to become engrossed in scientific study to the point of materialism, effectively turning science into religion itself, but they do that for everything.

Their deal with Galileo was a pissing match because he was an obnoxious jackass that had a grudge match with Pope Urban VIII and flipped him off at every opportunity.  When Copernicus theorized the same stuff long before that, attitudes were a good deal happier and the Church was really interested.

Oh, and this.

I think Vorpy was the one that showed me that Sexy Daughter image.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

game-of-thrones-air-guitar_510.jpg

• MY CHEST FEELS FUNNY