If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The iDOLM@STER (animé series)

Comments

• edited 2012-02-11 21:42:43
    law of silence

Maybe they'll announce a second season? And the character focus was extremely unbalanced IMO. :c

IDK, I'm just happy there was a proper iM@S anime at all. What did you think of the last episode?

• edited 2012-02-11 21:53:49
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

It was a bit underwhelming.  Maybe I was expecting too much.  Or maybe I was just way too busy with meatspace stuff and just couldn't process it properly.  I watched it a few days ago.  I was madly scrambling to finish statements of purpose for grad school aplications and study for a standardized test.  I felt like I knew what I was supposed to feel in episode 24 but failed to feel it for some reason.

I did feel that episode 23 touched my heart somewhat less than 20 did, but it touched more of my brain, as I started to see parallels between its plot and my own life.  And I still cried.

The final episode was still pretty awesome.  It combined two songs that I won't mention here due to spoilers, and that alone was pretty awesome.

I didn't know beforehand that Haruka, Chihaya, and Miki are the main main characters.  Perhaps I should have.  Then again, Chihaya and Haruka are my favorite characters anyway.

Though poor Yukiho deserved more character development and screentime.  Her characterization/backstory is ripe for character development stories.  The gradual maturing and divergent character evolution of the twins is also another unexplored character development point.

• edited 2013-03-13 12:29:30
    law of silence

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well they certainly handled the big three (Haruka, Chihaya, and Miki) well.

Also, yeah, I like

quite a bit.  I wish Haruka could actually make good on that invitation.

• edited 2012-02-12 14:39:40

Goodness...there are TEN truck driver's gear changes in "Inferno".

Not that that's a bad song, though.

• edited 2012-02-12 16:11:14
    Cue-bey

Anything that made this possible must be great.

• edited 2013-03-13 12:28:52
    law of silence

I don't like Miki, but she kinda was a big deal in the plot and had her share of character development, which I thought was decent.

From the comments to this video:

the majority of Japanese iM@S fans are male, and the majority of foreign fans are female

The first part is no duh.  The second part, however, is curious.  Is that really true?

• edited 2013-03-13 12:27:45
    law of silence

• edited 2012-02-21 21:08:49

That... is surprising.

Also, I finally finished watching this series.  It was nice.  I really don't have much else to say about it though, since it didn't really make a very strong impression on me.

• edited 2013-03-13 12:27:51
    law of silence

• edited 2012-02-21 22:04:02

I wonder if it's also because western guys don't want to be caught dead near iM@S or just because there's not enough fanservice to keep their attention while there's just so much cute that it attracts the girls instead.  Despite the Producer being canonically male.  Then again, there are a darn lot of fangirls of harem animé...

^^ You're just annoyed that there wasn't enough Iori and Yukiho.

• You can change. You can.

Is this because western guys don't want to be caught dead near iM@S or just because there's not enough fanservice to keep their attention while there's just too much cute for them to stand?

>Implying Moe is not popular with male western anime audiences

cute moe, glenn

• You're just annoyed that there wasn't enough Iori and Yukiho.

Yayoi, actually.

Though Miki is my second favorite and there was plenty of her. 

• edited 2013-03-13 12:29:08
    law of silence

• You can change. You can.

Well, like I said, I was referring to the anime in that case, as Glenn's post seemed to indicate so.

I guess that explains it; the western male animé viewership likes moë but not the western male gaming crowd.  Of course, it doesn't help that they totally haven't ever localized the series, and there don't even exist any complete fan-translations.  Even .hack// got localized.  Granted, they probably wouldn't be able to localized anything other than translating the text...and that little of a localization would neither be justified unless the series was already overwhelmingly successful in the west nor something that professional publishers would settle for.  So I guess we have to wait a few more years for fans to translate the games...

That said, I'm actually a bit bitter that, what was it, CoD or MW, stole the "most DLC sold" title from iM@S.  Only because I'm a fan of the latter and not the former.

I actually think that the animé series, what with the way it was going, might do well focusing on Jupiter for a second season.  That or the 876 Pro idols.

Which one's Hokuto, the tall blond guy or the green-haired kid?

> Yayoi

...I cannot believe I forgot about her.  After having Kiramekirari in my head all day long.

• edited 2012-02-21 22:32:12
    You can change. You can.

I guess that explains it; the western male animé viewership likes moë but not the western male gaming crowd.

I don't think it's quite that simple. I mean, there is a lot of overlap between both audiences. I think it's simply that they don't expect much from the games and wouldn't be willing to pay for those, while they don't have to pay to watch the series simply because lolpiracy.

• edited 2013-03-13 12:28:16
    law of silence

What was his reaction?

I think that Namco might actually go with just releasing a subbed version of the second series in the west, and leave it at that.

• edited 2013-03-13 12:27:23
    law of silence

• edited 2012-02-22 21:36:04

I don't think there's ANY chance the games get localized.  It's near-impossible to localize all the songs, and the games have lots of script voiced even besides the songs, which would all need to be translated and re-done.  Namco would have to find like thirteen different women who can do both voice acting AND singing, and can imitate the original voices.  Yet I think no professional localization studio would simply release a text-translated version and be fine with publishing that (barring a huge foreign fanbase, which iM@S doesn't have); that would pretty much be something whose revenue would mostly only come from existing fans.

On the other hand, sub-only releases of animé are not unheard of.  That said, if Namco starts looking among all those people who do English fandubs of iM@S songs and other J-pop/animé music, they might actually find people who can do all these voices, for a game localization and for an animé English dub.

• edited 2012-02-22 22:17:20
    law of silence

Sorry, got confused there. But yeah, wishful thinking... Guess I'll have to stick with importing the games/merchandise, no matter how goddamn expensive it is.

I have a feeling the anime would be sub-only. 

Also, if anim@s got an Americanized dub:

Made me laugh.

• Kichigai birthday!!

I remember seeing one of those for Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, but the only name I remember is Desmond Paire for the titular character

^^ LOL

I've seen one involving Harriet, "Coin", Vicki, Maggie, Ishmael, Sarah, Rikki, and "Penny".  And another Ryan, Tiffany, Miranda, Amy, Kingsley, and Summer.

Blackthorne is justified since he actually uses that name deceptively at one point.  (It also shows that the 765 Pro crew don't know English.)

I thought they would actually call Eri Erin.  Though canonically her screen-name is ELLIE.

Where the heck does "Aolani" come from?

And why is Nonowa called GVG?

• law of silence

Where the heck does "Aolani" come from?

And why is Nonowa called GVG?

Aolani is a Hawaiian name, and it's rather fitting seeing as Hibiki is from the Hawaii of Japan. They could totally pass her off as Hawaiian if they wanted to.

No idea about Geeveegee though.

• Now that I think about it, it might actually be cool if names were localized for greater ethnic diversity. Of course, in the case of fighting games at least, the job is already done.

I certainly think of these characters as multi-ethnic.  Only Takane really seems Japanese.