If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I Want a Wife

edited 2011-11-23 19:43:35 in General

Comments

• Well, I actually meant for there to be discussion about the piece.
  • I think my opinion on it is pretty obvious.
  • I assume you're against this spousal abuse.

It's funny when people misinterpret it. I gave it to one of my friends, she read it completely, didn't realize the writer was a woman, and said the message was horrible.
  • That's why you read the full article and double check it before leaping to conclusions

• edited 2011-11-23 20:51:31

Heard of that in English 20 AP. In a class that was almost entirely female, incidentally.

Though I still prefer free love.

• No rainbow star
    I didn't pick up on the author being female right away (it's late, alright?), but I still figured out that it was satire
  • But Ical, she says "I'm a mother"...D:
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Then yep, I had tiredness-induced stupidity

REALLY glad I chose to just hand in that paper late...
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Wow, that was actually a very interesting piece for being written by a woman.

That said, I'm surprised no one's yet snowcloned this thread to become "I Want a Life".
  • Wow, that was actually a very interesting piece for being written by a woman.

Uh....what?
  • edited 2011-11-24 10:31:47
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    By that I mean from being written from the perspective of a woman.  Unfortunately, as much as I wouldn't like to say it, if a man put those exact same words on paper, he would be seen as rather sexist, and the piece would be less effective.

That said, the point the piece makes is independent of gender.  In fact, it demonstrates how the concept of "wife" as caretaker and custodian is actually independent of gender itself.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^^^ I considered snowcloning it into, "I want a waifu"
  • @Glenn and Ica, We can't snowclone for the sake of snowcloning anymore, or haven't you two got the memo?
  • edited 2011-11-24 12:07:05
    No rainbow star
    ^ Hence why I said considered

(Although if I recall one snowclone for the sake of snowcloning is allowed per original thread)
  • I think this is one of those things where it makes more sense to call out individuals who take unfair advantage of the situation than the culture itself.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "That said, I'm surprised no one's yet snowcloned this thread to become "I Want a Life"."

Well, that would be the "put ideas here" thread, but yeah, if it's just one thread, I don't mind.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Eh, I could derail I Want a Life into a legitimate thread
  • If you know what's good for your health, you would not try that.
  • I considered snowcloning it into, "I want a waifu"

I did too... >.>

Incidentally, it's actually kinda true, and I could probably make a semi-legitimate thread out of it, though I won't because that would be silly and make me look like even more of a loser. >.>

Anyway, as for the topic of the thread, I read this for English class a couple years ago.  Was somewhat interesting.