If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    1984 is the only book I reread thrice in a row.

There's a reason for this. 

(Hint: It's not because it's bad)
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Trying out an American Horror Story. Time to see how it holds up.
    Yay, I caused this.

It's not perfect, mind, but it's got Jessica Lange as a southern racist lady. That's gotta count for something, right?
    My uncle is freaking out due to reveals. Starting on episode six was probably a bad idea.

• Does anyone here have the first Fallout?

Yes.

• No rainbow star
    Nohay: If you're still bored, draw me having to write a paper in the perspective of Sigmund Freud or Karl Marx and how they would view the Matrix

...I have no idea how this paper is going to turn out
  • edited 2011-11-24 01:30:26
    smote
    I can't decide if it's a minor miracle or a failure of universal irony that the second-to-last item here is still around, and apparently has been for an entire month.

Either way, I was amused.
  • edited 2011-11-24 02:25:27
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    How predictable.

Huh, I thought finding IJBMers on Google+ would be tricky, due to being forced to use your real name as username, but it turned out that it isn't.
  • No rainbow star
    Did you find mine, Nyarly? :3?

Also I JUST finished my liveblog! Now, I have less than 4 hours to write a paper on this. I have no idea where to start

Seriously, all I can think of Karl Marx or Sigmund Freud thinking of this movie is, "...What?"
  • Seriously, all I can think of Karl Marx or Sigmund Freud thinking of this movie is, "...What?"

Really? I think they would both have a lot to say about it, on different levels. It would really hit home with Marx, who would see the machines' power generation as the ultimate evolution of capital being moved away from those who create it, and with their work being not only involuntary but entirely unknown. 

Freud, on the other hand, would probably have a lot to say on the film's recurring riffs on "dreams", which could bring out some interesting tension narratively. He'd also home in on the images of rebirth when Neo's slid out of his pod (and maybe say the sentinels are phalluses with tentacles).

Personally I think there's more to be found in a Freudian analysis of the film, but it probably depends on what you're more interested in talking about.

• No rainbow star
    ...I'm going to hane it in late since it's better late and done well than on time with my brain addled. But I am definately using you as a jumping board

And I'm going with Marx because even after two classes of Freud my brain only understands him as the, "You want to plough your parents" guy
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Did you find mine, Nyarly? :3?

Not yet, but I didn't search much, so I only found INUH (I think) and, through him, Juan. The latter is theoretically easy to find, but there are quite a lot of people named Juan Carlos. I'd like to mock him for it, but that would be hypocritical, since my name is incredibly common too.
    I chhose a common name for my internet shenanigans because...well, I wouldn't want you guys knowing my real name, would I?
    Well, you because you're a good guy, but not many other people. 

can't sleep, eh?
  • Yeah, though at this point it's not unusual. I got up late enough today that I'm not even really that tired yet, and this is becoming normal for me.

Feels horrid, gentleman.

May I recommend not sleeping till 9:00 PM tomorrow?

It probably will fill your mind with fuck, but if you wanna reset your sleep schedule, then gotta do it the hard way.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I always fail at that method. -_-
  • I've done that a couple of times this month; it doesn't seem to last. Might as well give it another shot though.
    It worked for me, although I almost fucked up two days ago when Haven convinced me to setup Cockatrice. 

Bastard. >:|
  • No rainbow star
    My shoulder is sore. It's been sore for the past few days :<
  • edited 2011-11-24 08:25:58

"Rape is one of the more difficult subjects to handle in a work of fiction, not least because (unlike, say, murde]) there is a chance that one of the work's readers has experienced this crime first-hand. For the most part, the tropes that have been collected here describe less sensitive and sometimes  downright backwards depictions of rape. Despite the quote above, indices like this have been noted by non-tropers (along with the RaceTropes page) as examples of ways in which TV Tropes will benefit humankind by analyzing and cataloguing exactly how important topics are handled in pop culture today."

To say the least, that doesn't really work out in practice (like nearly everything about the site). Ties in with the rape as bad writing discussion earlier.

I really hate when TvT editors pretend TvTropes is anything but a nerdy wiki.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-11-24 08:52:36
    There was a rape discussion in Writer's Block, how to make a female rape a male, or something. Fun stuff. 

And a thread about making unique super heroes.

Someone came up with a muslim girl in a burkha who controlled the wind.

Not only has it been done before (only with sand), but that is a horrible idea. And he was praised for it, along with another idea about camp gay heroes.

Bleh.
    "Only it has been done before"

Who, where, when and how
  • Dust, I believe.

Guh, phone doesn't want the site to show. >_>

Welp, finally sent the laptop for repairment. I'm either getting a shiny new one or the old one with a new disk.

Also, finlly convinced my mom that buying stuff on the internet is not going to end up with some dude coming and stealing our whole account and then raping us or something
    I spent $130 on alcohol and in the end isn't that what Thanksgiving is really about?