If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

So, that asteroid that nearly hit us recently...

Comments

• You do know multiple space rocks like that nearly miss us all the time, right?
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Of that size?
  • They're somethin' else.
    @yt Still Alive
  • No rainbow star
    Ninja: "To answer the question on everyone’s mind, Purdue University professor
    Jay Melosh said had the asteroid hit earth, it would have left an impact
    crater four miles across and 1,700 feet deep, reported MSNBC. More
    likely it would have struck in an ocean, which would have caused 70-feet
    tsunami waves."

That seems fairly nasty to me
  • I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    This legitimately creeps me out for some reason.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Wait, so there is a chance that its trajectory may be changed soon enough that we're all fucked come 2036?
  • "Almost" happens a lot in life. I don't worry about what could have happened in the past, since by now it's set in stone. Looking forward to preventing similar disasters is the proper response.

IIRC, they knew the asteroid wouldn't hit Earth for some time before it passed.
  • Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy

Sounds like the next scapegoat. After the war on terror, it will the the war on asteroids. Know any suspected meteorites? Call the police immediately. Is someone acting suspicious? They could be an asteroid supporter. 

Fine by me. Maybe I'm just being an irrational Chicken Little, but the idea of an asteroid impact really scares me.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    For some reason it doesn't scare me that much. At compared to a Gamma Ray Burst coming out of nowhere and insta-killing us. We could (theoretically) avoid complete annihilation by an asteroid.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Oh right, exploding stars can kill us without us even knowing

And of course there are ninja black holes
  • edited 2011-11-13 18:01:20
    I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    I don't think we're actually in the radius of any stars that may supernova, so I'll say we're okay in that department.

And no, the sun is not a star that will supernova.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I make it a rule not to worry about what I can't control.
  • Asteroid impacts don't scare me.

Yellowstone, however, scares the shit out of me.
    ^ that too.

Though I also worry that I may just be being a Chicken Little about that.
  • No rainbow star
    Anne, if I recall the gamma burst can hit us from another galaxy entirely
    Fun fact: 1 divided by infinity is zero.

Think on that the next time you worry about if you'll make an impact on the world.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^Rather 1/x as x approaches infinity equals zero as you'll get a smaller, and smaller decimal the higher x gets.

/mathwank
  • ^^ There is so much wrong with that sentence I don't even know whether to break my monitor or break my own face in. With a Mason jar.
  • edited 2011-11-14 02:10:11
    Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
    DAMN, I need to cast meteo again! My magic teacher never told us how bad of an aim asteroids have!

I was THIS CLOSE to vaporizing the Westboro Baptist  guyz! Quick! Someone give me 99 elixirs!
  • Being afraid of something that you'll not be aware about anyways.

Seems silly.

It could kill us, we could've all died.

That's life unfortunately,

it's just not productive to fear something like that ~shrug~
  • Honestly the shit we get up to on our own planet is a considerably more probable and immediate threat than a dark asteroid or gamma burst out of nowhere.  Have a sense of perspective.
  • Well, not just that, but I mean, there's really nothing you can do about stuff like that but hope your fears somehow change how the universe works.

Honestly, if you think spending a few hours per day thinking about the many ways you could die is really gonna change anything, then go ahead, but I'm here to tell you it's not...

Not really.
  • edited 2011-11-14 19:19:36
    ^ I doubt most of the people who are afraid of this sort of thing are as preoccupied with it as that. Hell, I doubt even a fifth of them are preoccupied to the tune of "a few hours per day".
    It's why I simply await the day Great Cthulhu shall awaken and snap our fragile 'sanity'.
  • $80+ per session
    Well, sorry if we can't all not be afraid of death.
  • You can change. You can.
    It seems a bit dumb to care about all the possible things that can kill you, though.

I mean, right now, you could spontaneous combust. Or your computer could explode. Or a series of random events that you don't even know could end up with a rock going at sound speed killing you.

But why would you care? All you can do is live your life and hope for the best. --shrug--
  • No rainbow star
    ^ How do we know that we aren't already all dead?

...Wow this is a crappy afterlife if that's the case. I want my money back >:|
  • You can change. You can.
    If we're all dead for whatever reason, does it matter?

It barely matters where we come from. We could come from the big diaper of a baby god in the skies who decided to shit us into this world or we could be spawns from the great god Batman in the batcave.

but it doesn't matter. What mattars is what we are now. And what we do with that for the sake of our enhancement and for a better life and blah blah blah more existentialism.

but really, you're not enhancing your life by worrying about things you can't solve. There's no point to doing so. You can't solve the economical crisis, you can't stop nuclear weapons production etc etc. But you can pay your bills and avoid problems in your personal life. So yay, I guess?

Also, it could be worse. You could have ended in the middle age or someshit
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Someone called? :D

Fun fact: historical Europeans reached a peak in height during the Middle Ages and then declined for hundreds of years. It was only in the late 19th century that people caught up again. Human height is associated with general sanitation, health and nutrition, so it seems our medieval forebears had much better habits in those respects than previously thought. Inaccurate portrayals of the Middle Ages can largely be blamed on popular media, since postmodern media reacted to the earlier glorification of the era by reversing gears entirely and allowing its cynicism more influence than was perhaps necessary.

The reality lies somewhere in between the fairy tale Victorian perspective and the hilariously Grimdark postmodern one. All we can say for certainty is that the Middle Ages were not, in fact, a non-humanist time period.

This is way more interesting than the death dicussion. <_<