If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP

Comments

• edited 2011-11-13 17:04:52
    Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy

And I'm not saying they don't see it as a comedy goldmine, because they do, it's just that it has gone from merely laughing at the site to being personally upset for some of the people in the thread.

You reap what you sow, SA. If you show so much personal investment in another forum's drama, of course there's going to be a point where you get too emotionally invested in it and it ends up getting personal.

Heh, before the paywall went up on SA I read several posts which amounted to borderline death threats directed at me. It really is that mean spirited.

@Protega: Really? I thought no importing drama was commonplace. Perhaps the use of "drama" is replaced by "no importing/exporting flamewars" by some fora, though.

• edited 2011-11-13 17:04:16
    You can change. You can.
    I never said anything about a righteous cause. I was merely stating my observations about things they have said. I don't remember the details, but one person comes to mind who was so upset by something somebody said on TVT that he was prepared to go on a personal rant, since it hit close to home on a personal subject for him. He was advised to take a walk and cool his thoughts, which he did.
    And I'm not saying they don't see it as a comedy goldmine, because they do, it's just that it has gone from merely laughing at the site to being personally upset for some of the people in the thread.

hah, i remember that.

honestly, apart from the whole appeal to emotion involved (You just have to see how it pains me that there are idiots on the internet) the whol thing has always reeked of pretentiousness since it's happened the third time. 

At this stage, there are only three people in that thread who I respect and it's because they don't make any pretentions towards their position on TvT and aknowledge the fact that the whole thing is nothing but them making fun of idiots on the internet

and that's my main problem with that attitude displayed by that person. Being enraged at idiots on the internet. Acting like so, when they're on a site with the motto of "the internet makes you stupid" and masking said immaturity with self righteousness. And people still take them seriously. Hell, I remember how goons themselves were commenting on how that thread sucked the day Eddie banned you (And how it had been redeemed that day, of course)
  • edited 2011-11-13 17:15:53
    smote

I'd say it's fairly idiosyncratic of people on the internet in general. Every forum I've been has been virtually torn apart by drama in one way or another.

It probably has something to do with the fact that people usually post at the end of a busy day, and sometimes a bad one. The internet becomes their punching bag, and that leads to drama.

That's a bit broader than what I meant. I'm not saying "drama" isn't something that happens on the internet, I was referring to a specific level of sensitivity, and its codification into "importing drama", which is a term of art that I haven't really seen around the internet anywhere but here. (Though admittedly I'm not nearly as wide-ranging as I used to be.)

@Protega: Really? I thought no importing drama was commonplace. Perhaps the use of "drama" is replaced by "no importing/exporting flamewars" by some fora, though.

That's probably true, but that seems a little less strict than it is on TVTropes. I certainly wouldn't think "This site I used to like isn't that good any more" typically counts as "importing drama", which is the context it came up in in this thread.

I suppose from our point of view, discussing TVTropes is a bit more personal, but in most other places it's about the same as saying any other entertainment venue isn't as good as it used to be due to administrative decisions.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    That's right, Alex, this is all your fault.

Goddamnit.

Everywhere I go, things explode. Everywhere. I am typing from a bunker. Please do not tell the government where I am.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I'm imagining Alex hunched over his computer in a dark room surrounded by swords.
  • You can change. You can.
    ^You mean that's not how it Alex lives?
  • edited 2011-11-13 19:23:45
    I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    He is internetting next to the hearth in a meadhall.

I'm on the other side of said hearth.
  • Yup, once again - I go to work, drama erupts. I'm just going to have to quit my job and sit at home posting all day.

Which is pretty much what SA seem to think I should be doing anyway, as well as watching anime and claiming to be asexual because I can't handle not having a girlfriend. It's all about constructing broad stereotypes for comedy. Sometimes it's funny and sometimes it genuinely hits home, but you can't live your life on the basis that some people might find you ridiculous.

You could turn up with a halo, heal the sick, make the blind walk and then walk on water, and some people would still find you ridiculous.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Oh,the paywall is down,by the way. Time to catch up in the CAD thread
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-11-14 15:37:27
    First, an obligatory what the fuck happened while I was asleep.

Second, the problem was never that SA thinks we're creepers.  Frankly, it's more worrying that the reaction was "Oh no!  Our E-cred!  What would SA think of this?" instead of "Dude, maybe we shouldn't be, like, posting our dicks on the internet."

SA bitching about things isn't necessarily a red flag -- they bitch about things all the time, they're bored people on the internet.  When it is a red flag though, it's generally about something that should've been one a waaaaaay long time ago.
    ^The thing about this thread is that except for Alex's offhand comment, nobody had even thought of SA until Icalasari here thought that we should make it a big deal with this thread here.
  • edited 2011-11-14 16:14:53
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I agree with @Bee's post.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ There were a few posts. So unless I horribly misunderstood...
    I only saw

>Saigyuoji's post pointing out the existence of the PYF Dicks thread
    >Malk, Elbeem and myself pointing out that SA barely matters on this (Which was unnecessary, as Saigyouji's intention was just to point out that it'd be massively hypocritical for the goons to mock us for posting dicks)
    >Delta using SA as an example as to why we shouldn't post dicks in our forums
    >And Alex's offhand remark

Regardless, my point is that this thing didn't turn into an SA thing until we started to go "Lol, why should we care" when the name was just brought up, not even used as an "SA says..." deal.
  • Note that Saigyouji's comment was in response to Alex' remark, and most of the discussion came after that, so this was basically a drama bubble.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-11-14 18:04:43
    For what it's worth they didn't even give that much of a shit until you all dropped a drama bomb on yourselves and made them notice.
  • edited 2011-11-14 18:02:30
    Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy
    Feck you bitches, thanks for the cool title/infamy badge.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    A bubble?

I'LL MOCK IT!  NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    What the...

am I...

agreeing with Bee?

I may have to lie down.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-11-14 19:34:36
    I'm particularly disagreeable?  :S

EDIT:  Okay yeah I'm disagreeable  :|
    I remember disagreeing with you on plenty of things personally. Can't speak on large.

Then again, it might just be the observer bias at work.
  • Meh.  I can remember a relatively small handful of people on this board or OTC that made me want to smash my head through the wall, and you're not one of them, so I just assumed we were cool enough :P
    Oh, I hope I didn't make it sound like I have some issue with you. I just remember disagreeing with you a lot.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-11-14 19:47:15
    No offense taken whatsoever.  If I don't remember our disagreements that well it means they weren't the epic "the rift between our understandings is so great that your presence terrifies me" sort, and I haven't really found any use for the steps between that and "oh yeah we're cool."  So you're at least cool.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "For what it's worth they didn't even give that much of a shit until you all dropped a drama bomb on yourselves and made them notice"

This. They really didn't give a fuck about the dick. They thought it was funnier that you guys were just waiting, as if they watch little old us at all times. And they took swings at Shichibukai. But no, they couldn't have cared less about the dick.
    I'm cool.

Hee. ^_^
  • $80+ per session
    I am a little curious what they said about me. But if the dick is unimportant I must be too. :p
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ They only commented on Shichi, I think.
  • $80+ per session
    Okay, just wondering.
  • I stand on Grendel's shoulders

Second, the problem was never that SA thinks
    we're creepers.  Frankly, it's more worrying that the reaction was "Oh
    no!  Our E-cred!  What would SA think of this?" instead of "Dude, maybe
    we shouldn't be, like, posting our dicks on the internet."

SA
    bitching about things isn't necessarily a red flag -- they bitch about
    things all the time, they're bored people on the internet.  When it is a
    red flag though, it's generally about something that should've been one
    a waaaaaay long time ago.

This people. This this thisity this. Especially the bolded part.

TV Tropes and IJBM, you guys should be judging yourselves, and not depending on SA to judge you. SA shouldn't even factor into the question.

This discussion has been closed.