If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How EVERYBODY is moving towards cloud storage/digital distribution.

edited 2011-11-08 08:00:34 in Webspace
[tɕagɛn]

(Do note that this rant is probably going to come out as a complete rambling mess)

Okay, this is really starting to bug me now. I'm getting sick of how everyone thinks that digital distrubution is the future. How everyone thinks that the idea of personal property is a "fad from old times".

Fuck that shit. I'm sick of how people expect me to pay money for files that I don't even fucking own technically--what happened to physical media? What happened to actually owning a physical thing that one could differntiate from every other physical thing?

Never mind, that as I said, I don't even own these things technically. I can pay 10 bucks for Audiosurf on Steam, but Valve still owns it. I didn't pay 10 dollars for the game. I paid 10 dollars for the right to play it. Fuck that. Same thing with Itunes, or any streaming service.

That was already bad, but when it happened to books (E-Books), I was just plain shocked. Seriously. Books are one of the few pieces of physical media that haven't died out, and now they're becoming digital too. God dammit.

What's worse is that basically everybody is embracing this neo-communist bullshit and I appear to be one of the few who dislikes it. Not to mention the corporations are all going to force it on everbody (yes, my tin foil hat is on tight today, why do you ask?), and one day there won't be physical media whatsoever.

Soon the very idea of "personal ownership" is going to be abolished, and we'll all be living this fucked-up neo-communist dream/hellhole.

Shit, my dad was right--not all new technology is good....

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.
    You don't own the files on physical media either. You pay for the right to play them.
  • No rainbow star
    I agree Chagen, if only because you aren't always in a place with internet

And what happens if the internet goes down in your area?

Same issue
  • No, you pay for the media and then you own the files on the disc. Otherwise, say, playing a game at your friend's house, would be illegal.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    >Soon the very idea of "personal ownership" is going to be abolished, and we'll all be living this fucked-up neo-communist dream/hellhole.

I'm pretty sure companies wouldn't let that happen chagen.
  • Then why are so many embracing things like online streaming/digital distrubution?
  • edited 2011-11-08 08:10:55
    But you never had any to begin with.
    ^^^ The EULA would disagree.

^ Convenience?
  • It's not convient. At all.

At least for people like me. I admit that I'm a "Tech Conservative" for some things.
  • edited 2011-11-08 08:13:47
    But you never had any to begin with.
    It's convenient for them. No physical media means lower production costs. And more people have access to it.
  • What about the games you download directly onto your computer, no internet needed?
  • "What about the games you download directly onto your computer, no internet needed?"

Those are marginally less bad.

I don't see as many problens with Steam because of its low amounts of DRM.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    You don't own the files on physical media either. You pay for the right to play them.

There's a giant world of difference between not technically owning the files on a disc you're actually holding and not technically owning the files on a server that's several miles away and is completely under the control of an external entity.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    First, I think there are two ideas of ownership that are being a bit mixed up here.  Let's make sure we know which of these we're talking about:
    * legal ownership, the idea of being allowed to do whatever you want with something
    * "personal" ownership, if I may call it that, the idea of being able to do whatever you want with something

These two apply differently to these three forms of media:
    * physical media, a dedicated physical object with a reasonably secure and transferable instance of media data on it
    * local media storage, storage of an instance of media data on one's computer or MP3 player, for example, that one can access without (much) limitation
    * remote media storage, wherein you gain access to media by downloading (through the internet or another data transfer connection) the media data, effectively creating a temporary copy on one's local device
    ** note that this can, but usually is not, converted into local media storage.

As for Valve's Steam service, I don't see it so much as buying the right to play a game as I see it as buying easy, convenient access to what I want to play...PLUS backup of at least the game files, so that I don't have to worry about losing them or even transferring them to a new computer or to a backup drive.  That said, there are times I'm not very happy with it, such as when it locks me out of signing on offline because it didn't update right or something.
  • Silly Funnyguts, Chagen doesn't actually know what communism is. He just uses it as a generic insult. Cause, y'know, he's trapped in the 60s.
  • a little muffled
    Chagen doesn't know what communism is. This is surprising...how?
  • edited 2011-11-08 14:55:26
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    And when you look from man to pig, and from pig to man, you can't tell much of a difference anymore anyway.  The two extreme ends of the political spectrum meet each other on the other side.

As for me, I don't like cloud computing.  Sure, I'll use it if the information isn't confidential, and disseminating it to the appropriate audience and/or collaborators remotely is most important.  However, I'm not going to use it for any data that I wantnetwork-independent access to.  And that includes pretty much all my music, documents, games, and such.

And sometimes, increasingly, videos too.  Too many worthy YTPs and other videos are being takedown'd, for one reason or another, regardless of legitimacy.  The great thing about local storage is that you don't have to depend on someone else agreeing that whatever it is should be allowed to be put up on the cloud.
  • You can change. You can.
    At this rate, my only problem with the idea of the lack of physical distribution are

1) I can't treat my library as another extension of my already big media penis
    2) It's hard for me to pay for internet stuff due to lol Colombia.

as such, i completely and utterly oppose it.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    >I can't treat my library as another extension of my already big media penis

Steam Calculator.
    Yes, but can you bring friends to your house and go "Look at this big library! Swim in it, bitches"

no, you fucking can't. Also, that only works for games. >:|
  • edited 2011-11-08 17:18:28
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    No, you pay for the media and then you own the files on the disc. Otherwise, say, playing a game at your friend's house, would be illegal.
    It depends on the specific license, but it generally is.

Here's another thing. If you buy a completely new $60 game, say, Skyrim, at a store, the developer, in this case Bethesda, gets $12. The other money is gobbled up by making a disc, making a box, shipping it, Wal-Mart's markup and so on.

If you buy it on Steam (for slightly less, as you don't have to pay tax in many states and you didn't have to burn gas to drive to the store), Bethesda gets $54. You payed less, and you didn't even have to leave your room, but they got many times more money for delivering the same product.

Also, digital distribution and cloud storage aren't the same thing.
  • $80+ per session
    I have absolutely no problem with it, and while I wouldn't mind physical copies to still be an option, I want digital things to be more widespread. Go Technology!
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I like digital distribution a lot. Steam is way easier to use than driving to a store, the makers get more money, and it's not very obtrusive. It has a way to go before it's good enough to completely eclipse physical media, but it's pretty good at the moment.
  • "Steam is way easier to use than driving to a store"

Driving to the store is vastly more fufilling than sitting at your computer and clicking a few buttons.

I try not to be the stereotypical "never moves from his computer desk" nerd.

• $80+ per session
    Well, when you don't drive like me, walking is a bitch.

Plus, I prefer to support the game and music developers more than the store that sells their product.
  • edited 2011-11-08 17:41:38
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^Time is money, and with Steam you save a lot of both. That's easily worth giving up a vaguely defined sense of "fulfillment".

Also, seriously? Ad hominem attacks?
  • edited 2011-11-08 17:41:55
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    How is it more fulfilling?

And you don't have to pay for gas n' shit, or spend an hour driving to a store. That's a big plus.

Convience isn't a bad thing.

^ Also what he said.
  • $80+ per session
    Oh yeah, that's another thing. You save a lot of money. Don't have to spend money on gas, and the elevated store prices. Amazon and Steam have AMAZING deals.
  • "Also, seriously? Ad hominem attacks?"

I wasn't going for an ad hominem, I was saying "Society is already inclined to view me as some fat, overwieght slob due to being a nerd, the best I can do is try not to live that kind of lifestyle".

• edited 2011-11-08 17:54:56
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I don't really get how driving to a game store to buy something makes you look better. Especially, when at the cost of being a smart consumer.
  • edited 2011-11-08 17:49:18
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Who's going to know other than you?

Someone isn't going to look at your big collection of physical boxes and say "Gee, what a cool, active dude," anymore than they'd look at your Steam library and say "Ugh, what a fat slob" based solely on that.

Ninja'd by someone saying the same thing with less words.

urm, dude

you really need to understand that spending less money is an inherently good thing.