If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How EVERYBODY is moving towards cloud storage/digital distribution.

2»

Comments

• $80+ per session
    Except when it comes to inherent quality like with Xbox 360 online and PS3 online.
  • edited 2011-11-08 17:58:28
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I think he means that less money on the same product is always good.

If the more expensive thing is actually higher quality, then it's different. Like with Collector's Edition stuff vs. just the game. If the extra stuff appeals to you.
  • You can change. You can.
    Except when it comes to inherent quality like with Xbox 360 online and PS3 online.

bah, i still think Xbox Online's monthly fee is ridiculous and plain unnecessary. Specially when Steam and Sony don't go and ask you for your money.

And the argument of having more people on XBOL barely holds any water when Steam is probably one of the most widespread gaming services out there.
  • edited 2011-11-08 18:15:31
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Driving to the store is not fulfilling, because it wastes gas, wastes tire tread, decreases general car usage life, wastes gas money, and puts carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

On the other hand, buying a physical copy from the store is pretty fulfilling, in my opinion.  YMMV about the enjoyment of having someone on your shelf, but you can't deny that it's also useful for some other things like coming with printed manuals and in a physical copy form that you don't need to separately back up (though that last point is rivaled by Steam's effectively backing up your games).

@Chagen > I wasn't going for an ad hominem, I was saying "Society is already
    inclined to view me as some fat, overwieght slob due to being a nerd,
    the best I can do is try not to live that kind of lifestyle".

What you ought to do is to stop presuming that people will view you as such and thus making pre-emptive comments to defend against these presumptions.
  • $80+ per session
    Steam is on the internet. It isn't not apart of the argument. It's about consoles, Juan.
    Steam is on the internet. It isn't not apart of the argument. It's about consoles, Juan.

• edited 2011-11-08 18:38:38
    I'm still concerned about the security issues that come with digital distribution, especially after the PSN hacks. Though I guess by that train of thought, I should be more concerned with my bank account.
    Admittedly, that is a big problem. Hence why I think everything ever should be stored in microfilm. 

everything ever
  • No rainbow star
    ^ MICROFILM ALL THE THINGS!
  • Driving to the store is vastly more fufilling than sitting at your computer and clicking a few buttons.

Clearly you've never gone to an EBGames/Gamestop and dealt with their personel. Or waited in line 30 fucking minutes coz the client up front doesn't know what they want to buy for their grandchildren.

That being said, I like feelies, but since they have pretty much long been removed from all but collectors editions, my main reason for buying hard copies is kinda gone.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    When I saw a Chagen thread, before I realized that it was a necro, my heart stopped for a few seconds.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ Gee, thanks for having so much faith in the mod team. :P
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^ Make him a mod.  That'll show him!

On topic: I haven't had much problems with Gamestop clerks.  They seemed fine to me.

Then again, I just browse until I find what I want and get it.  And by "it" I usually mean something in the used games pile.
  • edited 2011-12-09 12:08:53

Wait, couldn't you?

And oh yes, a corporate practice leading to communism. That was a riot.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    >neo-communsim

i just re-read the thread and what is this

Speaking of digital distribution, does anyone know if Good Old Games guarantees a backup copy of your game (like how you can redownload a game from Steam if you lose your current downloaded copy)?
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    You can download games from your GOG account as many times as you like.
  • edited 2011-12-09 14:17:32
    2. Can I re-download my purchased games? Is there a limit to the number of re-downloads?
    You can always re-download games bought at GOG.com via the “My account” page. Also, there is no limit to the number of redownloads, but please remember that you're not allowed to share your GOG.com account with other users as only you are entitled to download games from your account.

(EDIT: Ninja'd by Saigyouji)
    How often does GOG have sales?

Speaking of sales, Steam's daily deal is Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.  Except I already spent my moneys on other thingsies.  Sorry.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    Every weekend.