If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People In American Shows Don't Fight Properly

edited 2011-09-30 02:14:54 in General
I've noticed this loads, mostly in sitcoms, but when two guys are going to fight in an an American show, they don't start punching each other, they push each other to the ground then roll around a little.

IJBM.

Comments

• no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Actually, you'd be surprised how common pushing is in real life.
  • Rule of Funny, perhaps? Sitcoms aren't really made to look all that cool or realistic, right?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    This is something I've seen happen in real life, so...
  • Michael Westen:
    [voice-over] In a fight, you have to be careful not to break the little bones in your hand on someone's face
  • They're somethin' else.
    ... Why is humping one another the first thing people think of doing when they get in a fight?
    Because what is effective fighting technique and what is instinct is very strongly separated.
    Igh. I'll use jabs, straights and uppercuts any day of the week, thank you very much.
  • edited 2011-09-30 02:35:27
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^^Because it's easier to punch someone when you have them down on the floor.

^Dude, even professional martial artists go down on the floor. Look at any random MMA match.
  • You can change. You can.
    because nothing hurts more than having a grown man humping you.
    >MMA match

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/SharinganKing/deansmirk.gif">
  • Umm, maybe because most PEOPLE don't know how to fight properly?

It's probably one of the few things hollywood gets right about life.
    ^ yerp.
  • edited 2011-09-30 03:53:01
    I dunno about you, CommandoDude, but every real fight I've seen (and been in) has been two guys punching, kicking, choking and headbutting. Never this weird rolling around crap.

Quick Edit: This post sounds a bit...confrontational in my head. I don't mean it to be.
  • Because most fights start out as two-way intimidation. Pushing each other away and daring each other to be the first to attack, since neither considers it really worth the trouble they might get into.
  • I'm not talking about the shoving, I get that. I mean the on the ground, rolling about on top of each other stuff.
  • "I dunno about you, CommandoDude, but every real fight I've seen (and been in) has been two guys punching, kicking, choking and headbutting. Never this weird rolling around crap."

Dude, that's 'cause you live in Scotland
  • edited 2011-09-30 15:08:41
    Erudite Meathead
    Yeah, except for people who really know their shit, most people(including most self-defense junkies) just go into retard mode when assaulted.

As for ground games/grappling/dry humping, MMA is very different than a street fight. That shit will get you seriously hurt if not killed if you go down on concrete floors instead of a mat. Even a jab on the head when the victim's head is resting on the street will get the victim bleeding if not completely knocked out/skull cracked. This is without considering if one of the hooligans is armed either.

As for punching, well, think about how many little bones you have in your hand. An elbow strike would hurt them more and you less.
  • Lisztening knows, she's been in fights... Street fighting tournaments.
  • If you're gonna punch em, hit the soft parts. 
    If not... why not? 

And yeah, elbows pretty much always better for everything except range.  Punching is just to stun them long enough to get into elbowing range. 

And FFS don't grapple. The grapple-rules are horrible. 
    For that matter, if you want to grab them in any way, shape or form... it is typically best not to use your thumbs unless you absolutely have to (because if you use your thumbs, they basically own your hands). 

Now... why was I saying all this? 
    Oh yeah... cos people tend to like grappling, punching rather than elbowing, and grabbing with their thumbs... -_-;