If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The lack of fundie reaction against Shin Megami Tensei.

edited 2011-09-25 19:31:19 in Media
Kamen Rider MADOKA
Seriously, it's a game series that has everything a fundie can use to rail against video games... and yet there's no one, even Jack Chick, who has done something about it.

Why? Is it too obscure? Too Japanese?

(I'm genuinely curious why this is the case, actually)

Comments

• AHRAHR
    edited 2011-09-25 19:32:41
    Does it have sex in it?

Has there been a crime with it looking suspiciously similar?

Has it been advertized in the US?
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    It's far too obscure for anyone like a fundamentalist to get riled up over. They generally focus on more poppular things, like Dungeons & Dragons or Harry Potter. 
  • edited 2011-09-25 19:33:09
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Too obscure.

^^The Christian God is the villain of the main series.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    But it's a video game and fundies don't like anything that didn't exist in the fifties.

I have half a mind to send Jack Chick something about it and let the lulz begin.
  • AHR: Also, Satan is one of your allies.

And one game has you try to summon Hitler.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    And one game has you try to summon Hitler.

If it isn't Starfish Hitler I will be disappointed.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Now that's just silly.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^^If you're thinking of Persona 2, Hitler's the villain.
  • It wasn't Persona 2, it was an earlier SMT game. You summon Hitler to help you.
    Ah, okay.

I haven't played much of the main series, because it's hard to start from the beginning.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Now that's just silly.

The Megaten Wiki seems to think Hitler's only in Persona 2.
  • Then the TvTropes Article I read was wrong
  • To be honest, I'd be more surprised if any given TV Tropes article was 100% correct.
    Indeed. Even Wikipedia, with all it's strictness, is only as accurate as the average print encyclopedia.
  • edited 2011-09-26 13:00:17
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    I've actually wondered this myself. I was rather put off when I first considered playing it due to said impression of God. Later on I was put off by the gameplay itself, but my confusion at such a boring game's popularity is another topic.
  • edited 2011-09-26 13:02:17
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I haven't actually played any of the main series games, so I can't really comment on them gameplay-wise.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    It was mainly the style of them that I found undesirable. I dunno how to put my finger on it, but I just felt... bored. I tried to play them so that i could at least comment on them, but... ergh to much.
    Have you tried Devil Survivor? It's a spinoff game with fairly good gameplay (and actually portrays God as pretty okay), and what got me into Megaten.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    Might be interesting; I'll manifest it onto an emulator soon.
  • edited 2011-09-26 17:42:12
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Devil Survivor has a very good take on Jewish mythology I think. It lets you draw your own conclusions and the people pissed at god have a some pretty good reasons to be pissed.

As for the original post. Let me put it this way. I hadn't even heard of the company until Penny Arcade had that comic making fun of Persona 3.
    Another advantage to Devil Survivor: If it's your first Megaten game, the others will seem much easier than they normally would.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    My biggest problem with DS is that a lot of it isn't real difficulty or dependent on strategy. Most of the bosses rely on you grinding for half-a-day before you can beat them and even then you have to hope the A.I. does just the right thing.

That said, it's really satisfying when you find a strategy that works and the story is a genuinely interesting take on the Old Testament.
    There are a few bosses that are beatable without grinding if your strategy's good.

With Beldr, though, said strategy is dependent on your knowing how to beat him from the very start of the game :P

And yeah, the plot's great.

I love the one segment where it takes a moment to parody Pokemon.
  • edited 2011-09-26 22:13:50
    Dolly's pretty great, and I love the bit where she talks about how her dad worked on the set of Kamen Rider.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ Youtube Video of that?
    ^It's really spoilery. It's not just a minor side thing. Are you sure you want to?
  • edited 2011-09-26 22:15:23
    >Checks DS' Trope page
    >Lists DS as a deconstruction of Pokemon!

GOD DAMN YOU PEOPLE!
    It kinda does. In one scene only, though.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^^ I'm sure. I tend to forget spoilers within a day :D

Yay short term memory problems!