If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Confederate flags

edited 2011-08-29 20:57:54 in Meatspace
Okay, seriously, I live in Pennsylvania. There is no reason that someone should display confederate flags or wear them on an article of clothing, but all the same, I still see people do it. 

I mean, granted, western Pennsylvania has a hell of a lot of rednecks, but this was a UNION state. This was where Gettysburg was. I don't get why so many people are under the impression that they're in Alabama.

Comments

• When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Because they identify more with other country folk, most of whom happen to live in the South, than those anti-Christian elitist city snobs.
  • That doesn't make sense to me either.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Funnily enough, I don't really see them all that much in Alabama. I've seen three or four that I noticed.
  • edited 2011-08-29 21:08:37
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Don't you live in Montgomery or one of the other cities? Folks like that tend to live in more rural areas. The disparity between where I live in New Jersey and in the Skylands is staggering.
    I've lived in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham, but my family has a second home out in redneck country.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Well, maybe the people who live near there are nice instead of wackjobs.
  • These surface sometimes in the state of Washington, which is pretty odd.

I don't think ever in Seattle, though. That's just asking for it.
    Yeah, it's more of the "diligent farmers" sort of redneck country than the "everyone makes meth" sort.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    Because Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh in the West, Philadelphia in the East, and Alabama in the middle.

Also, because the confederate flag is pretty fashionable.
  • But I'm like, thirty minutes away from Pittsburgh.
  • what's wrong with the flag anyway?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    It's a flag that stands for a rather unpleasant history.
  • Most of History is unpleasant...
    Yeah, but the Confederate flag being prominent is a needless reminder and to many implies support of those unpleasant things.
    I find it kind of depressingly funny that the flag stands for racism more today than it did during the civil war.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    The Confederate flag could also be taken as a symbol of secession, or support thereof. Or throwing a hissy fit and refusing to play anymore.
    They seceded to keep slaves, though.

Not that I don't see your point, but it's a pick-and-choose aspect to history to do that.
  • edited 2011-08-29 22:34:28
    The Confederate flag most people think of was originally their battle flag. It's a flag born out of the deadliest war in U.S history, a symbol of the Confederacy's desire to break the U.S in half by force.
  • edited 2011-08-29 22:32:51
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^My point is more that a larger percentage of the people who fly it are racists now, as a lot of the people then were just expressing loyalty to their home states. Which isn't to say that slavery wasn't a major cause of everything that led up to the secession.
  • edited 2011-08-29 22:32:30
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    My point is that the secession was bullshit to begin with; a result of disrespect for basic human rights and major diplomatic failure. I am really not a fan of the Confederate flag or anything it stands for. Especially the petulance.

MY POINT MY POINT MY POINT
    Yeah, the secession was definitely bull. I don't think the US had the right to start a war over it, but I'm glad they did, and it definitely worked out for the best.

If there's any state that ever had the right to secede if they wanted, it's Alaska.
  • edited 2011-08-29 23:11:57
    Loser
    inkblot,
    The Confederate flag most people think of was originally their battle flag. It's a flag born out of the deadliest war in U.S history, a symbol of the Confederacy's desire to break the U.S in half by force.

Yeah, that seems like as good of a reason as any to not use it to me.

I think complaints about people being offended by those flying/using a Confederate battle flag is one of those so-called "problems" with political correctness that is really just about being considerate of other people's feelings. If a bunch of people see it as a symbol of racism or secession and thus find it threatening, I think it is a good idea to not fly it or feature it in clothing and such, even if you disagree.

It kind of bugs me when some people say "I don't understand why other people get all worked up about Confederate flags" in a dismissive tone for that reason.

• Electric Boogaloo
    As to why people in Pennsylvania are flying it, it's because a Confederate flag is preferable to a Steelers flag.

^Bullshit. So people shouldn't have gay-support bumper stickers on their car because it pisses straight people off? Cry me a river. They wanna fly the Stars and Bars, they have every right to.
  • Well, it's not like people don't take an extra step and wear shirts with foreign flags as themes for no discernible reason.

Of course, there's the flag flying thing.
  • Aren't most of the people who wear foreign flags actually from the country?

As for the Confederate flag, its history consists only of opposing the United States because of slavery.  I can't think of anything more disrespectful that the South Carolina legislature could have done than fly it on their capitol.

As for people wearing/flying them, it's a good shorthand for people I want nothing to do with.
  • "Bullshit. So people shouldn't have gay-support bumper stickers on their car because it pisses straight people off? Cry me a river. They wanna fly the Stars and Bars, they have every right to."

You mean because it pisses bigots off? Because there's a difference.

And yeah, they have the right. I'd be opposed to any law that forbid the use of it. The issue is more that there's very seldom a reason to fly the thing unless you're a douche or an idiot.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    We flew it over Shuri Castle when we captured it during the Battle of Okinawa in order to piss the Army off. I'd say it can be used for good purposes.
  • To piss off the American army? Was that all it accomplished?
  • Because if there's one good thing in the world, it's engaging in petty conflicts between different branches of the US  armed forces.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I actually think that the CSA flag is pretty cool.  Now we just need to get CentralAvenue and Anonus to come here and comment on the graphic design tastes...

As for it showing up in Washington, I think it's because some people still display remnants of their "rebellious youth" phase, even after being grown-up.

As for your second home in "redneck country", @INUH, is that the one that plumbers can spontaneously find a leak in?