If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Games spoiling themselves

Comments

• Kichigai birthday!!
  • edited 2011-08-22 10:57:11
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    The only thing I'd be cautious of is theming the classes after their point of origin rather than their roles. The LoZ games themselves aren't really careful about what item is associated with what group, so we don't need have Gerudo stuff definitely come from the Spirit Temple, for instance.

The Gerudo live next to a great desert. That's where the Silver Golves come in handy- boulders in the desert- and where the sunlight dials and the Mirror Shield make sense.

The Shiek are supposedly caretakers of the resting place of the Royal Family line, aren't they? Plus, they had that thing trapped in the well. That's why I had the Lens of Truth- they deal with dark creatures, invisible things, things that try to mislead them.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I think you were spot-on with the Sheika, but the giving the Gerudo access to strength-enhancing and defense-enhancing gear sounds too frontal-combat for a community of thieves. Their items should be geared towards agility combat and taking initiative. I'm envisioning the dual-scimitar fighters you encounter in the fortress in OoT.
  • Didn't they also have Pirate ships. Ala MM?

• edited 2011-08-22 11:06:25
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    They don't actually enhance strength though. They let you lift heavy objects, but it's more acting like it's reducing its' weight than increasing your strength. Notably, Link still hits exactly as hard as before with it equipped.

And as I'm imagining it having a focus on puzzles over combat- that is, that the combat encounters are ignorable for the most part, with combat serving to enhance the puzzles and make them more difficult over taking focus over the puzzles, with the real combat being reserved for minibosses and bosses, which even then use puzzle-methods to weaken to damage- I'm not too concerned about combat enhancements.

^ They live in a desert.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    You'd have to have quite a good way to stop griefing in the game somehow especially as you say the puzzles would be about everyone working together.
    I get whatcha mean with teamwork puzzles over combat, but then again a class like "Hylian soldier" is pretty much wasted if there's too much lack.
  • edited 2011-08-22 11:09:49
    Belief
    Yeah >_>, In Majora's mask they didn't /not serious.

@Alex: A soldier is actually something I would like to see more employed in a puzzle game.

• You can change. You can.
    > Gerudo Valley
    > Flamenco song

Yo dawg, i put a flamenco in your flamenco, so you ride into deserts while riding into deserts
    Although the pirate theme works directly off the thief one, so why not?
  • edited 2011-08-22 11:22:56
    You'd have to have quite a good way to stop griefing in the game somehow especially as you say the puzzles would be about everyone working together.

I was trying to think about that.

The best way I can think of is just banning people who do it repeatedly, and giving them an easy way out of dungeons if someone leaves.

Other than that, don't trust random assholes.

I get whatcha mean with teamwork puzzles over combat, but then again a class like "Hylian soldier" is pretty much wasted if there's too much lack. 

Not necessarily. I can see two ways it would work;

- The Soldier always being present with somebody else, having to distract the enemies that they can't kill but can distract while their friend figures out the puzzle.

- The Soldier's puzzles being designed around combat. For example, having battles with those monsters with axes, and you need to knock down the pillars so you can make it to the next level up, but only he can destroy them, so you need to trick him into attacking them.
    Those are awesome ideas. Puzzle-combat, fantastic. :D
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Would you mind if I linked and/or copy-pasted all this over into the LoZ thread over on the other forum, though, to stop this derail and to get more ideas showing up that we can wilfully ignore?
    Go right ahead.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    And now Black Humour will stop glaring at me hopefully O_O
  • My favorite was and shall always be Majora's Mask. <3
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    -suggestion to stop griefing-

Eject button. If a puzzle is made unsolvable because of another person's actions, you can leave without losing progress.
    I'd have to wonder how.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    how what
    How that wouldn't screw up the level design I outlined before, where advancing in your puzzles is occasionally relying on them to do stuff in their puzzle.
  • No rainbow star
    Zoras
    Element: Water
    Deity: Jabu Jabu
    Racial Adjustments:
    -Swimming (+20%)
    -Agility (+10%)

Racial Skill: Gills (Can last underwater three times longer than any other race)
    Racial Item: Boomerang (Gains extra control)

Weak to: Fire (20% more damage from heat)
    Strong to: Water (20% resistance)

Stats from best to worst:

Agility
    Intelligence
    Skill (Basically ability to use weapons that aren't brute force (e.g. More control over boomerangs)
    Health
    Strength

Gerudo
    Element: Spirit
    Deity: ???
    Racial Adjustments:
    -Agility (+30%)

Racial Skill: Dual Weilding (Can weild two weapons at once, provided it makes sense (no dual weilding bows). Attack power is lowered by 30% for both weapons if you dual weild)
    Racial Item: Bow (Increased accuracy - You guys forgot that they had sharpshooters, didn't you?)

Weak to: Light (20%)
    Strong to: Fire (20%)

Stats:

Agility
    Skill
    Strength
    Intelligence
    Health

Hylian
    Element: Light
    Deity: Any of the three goddesses
    Racial Adjustments:
    -Strength (+10%)
    -Intelligence (+10%)
    -Skill (+10%)

Racial Skill: Multipurpose (Gains a 10% bonus with all skill based weapons)
    Racial Item: Sword Mastery (Increased power - Able to weild speciality swords)

Weak to: None
    Strong to: None

Stats:

Skill
    Strength
    Intelligence
    Agility
    Health

Shiekah
    Element: Shadow
    Deity: Nayru
    Racial Adjustments:
    -Agility (+20%)
    -Skill (+20%)
    -Strength (-20%)

Racial Skill: Stealth (Able to hide. Eye of Truth reveals hidden players. Hidden players lose 30% speed and cannot attack while hidden)
    Racial Items: Hookshot (Can stick to more surfaces) ; Eye of Truth (No magic drain)

Weak to: Light (30%)
    Strong to: Forest (10%) ; Fire (10%) ; Water (10%)

Stats:

Skill
    Agility
    Intelligence
    Health
    Strength

Kokori
    Element: Forest
    Deity: Farore
    Racial Adjustments:

Ok, yeah, can only do so much on a phone
    Hmmm.

With Gerudo giving them dual wield and bows seems a bit rubbish as they are mutually exclusive, whereas the other races have abilities that aren't.
  • edited 2011-08-22 15:57:05
    No rainbow star
    ^ It's hard to come up with an item that they'd recieve a racial bonus for using that isn't more of another race's item

Not to mention that they dual wield those scimitars (too similar to swords to make it their item)

Hmm... Maybe ignore them dual weilding, assume everyone can do it with a penalty (Hylians DO use a shield with the sword, after all, and the 2D games allow you to assign Link with an a and b item. If those were assumed to be hands...), and give them a critical hit based ability instead (to give sniping more power)...

I think I'd give Gorons a no recoil ability... Also, another issue is how Hylians hit two races extra hard (Shiekah and Gerudo). Maybe I should make Gerudo weak to shadow instead...

What to do with Zora/Kokori/Goron though? Kokori seem more like something that would be steamrolled by fire... And yet the Zora seem more like they would be bothered by heat than by plants... Maybe make Gorons weak to both, or give Kokori a good skill to make up for it...
  • $80+ per session
    SO, those would be the races. But what classes would you play as? Or is it just the races?
    Gerudo Bard.

I would play one song, forever. (and have already linked to it.)
  • edited 2011-08-22 16:05:53
    No rainbow star
    ^^ Have the Zelda games shown the races diversifying enough that one could see classes working?

I'm actually curious
  • It's sad to see Cygan's Tvtropes post derailed by Mr. "Don't attack my opinions"
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    The entire experience would be every male and lesbian player making passes at Malon all day and getting coyly brushed off.

I would thank you not to mock ten-year-old me's waifu, good sir. D=<
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    The entire experience would be every male and lesbian player making passes at Malon all day and getting coyly brushed off.

I would thank you not to mock eight-year-old me's waifu, good sir. D=<