If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People claiming that Femshep's redesign is racist

2»

Comments

• kind of reminds me of the intention of Buffy actually now that you mention it Beholdress.
  • I just dislike the blonde because she has raccoon eyes and reminds me of Other M Samus.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Just a note. Calling Shepherd a soldier is pretty laughable. He/she is honestly closer to a superhero (or cowboy) loosely attached to the government with his own justice league of psychic death.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Special Agent, media-style.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Yeah. I honestly think the military angle was a mis-step on Bioware's part. It feels like none of the writers wanted to do much with it and would have much happier having him being a space opera hero. ME makes it even clearer when he's an agent for a criminal group instead of the military.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I saw this comment:

So, your complaint is basically that Bioware decided to break a little ground and let fans have a say in what they put out? Because this is the first time they've done this, it should not have happened? 

Let's try to nail your argument down to its most basic element, "It hasn't happened with a male character so it shouldn't start with a female character." That in and of itself is hilariously hypocritical if you think about it; it should only happen to a female character if a male goes first? Or, rather, because it wasn't done with the male character in this particular game, it shouldn't be done with the female character. 

It's an interesting point but ultimately moot; technically nothing happens until it does, and that can be at any time. There was a philosophical idea proposed once that there is no causal relationship between events. The best way to illustrate this is with the sun; because the sun comes up every morning, we expect it to do so the next morning. Until it doesn't. There will of course be an explanation for why it doesn't, but the point is that you can not logically judge most events by what has occurred previously. Maybe the idea to do this kind of poll hadn't occurred to them until now. Maybe they just wanted to try something new, a testbed for future development concepts, and this was the game that came up for the test. Maybe they just fucking felt like it; in the end it was still Bioware's decision what to do from a design perspective. They decided to do something new and it didn't sit well with some folks; this happens a lot

The other major issue you bring up is that it took the form of a "beauty pageant". What would you have preferred, in order to determine a character's visual design? Rorschach blots? Personality quizzes? This point is just foolish on face value alone. Apparently that's not alright with you simply because it's a woman and not a man. It's a game character. If they'd had a block of Turians or Krogan or Salarians up there to pick as a new crew member, would you argue these points at all? Would it still be a condemnable beauty pageant if it were just the screenshots of five Turians? Of course not. Why not? It's the same situation, after all, selecting a character based purely on aesthetics. 

Everything starts somewhere. Bioware decided to take a chance with their design, to let fan feedback influence their decision, and I am all for taking chances and experimentation. The decision they chose to involve fans in was a visual one, and so images were used. 

Your argument lacks substance. It has a point, it has a more reasonable interpretation of the issue than most, but it's still flat as can be. Your opinion is interesting, though, if hypocritical and illogical. (As most opinions tend to be, come to think of it.)

Thoughts?
    True, but that's also part of the Captain America character, he is made into a super soldier, he goes from skinny asthmatic to perfect specimen thanks to science. 

My point is for two games FemShep was only represented by her personality and character, each player represented her differently. But they turned that around and made it about appearances with this vote, and I think that's what people don't like about it, I know that's what I don't like about it. FemShep5 doesn't look like a soldier.

but then

Hmm. Game covers are all about aesthetics. Vote was given to choose the most aesthetically pleasing character for the cover. Yet, this is sexualization of the entire character? Are all her lines that have been scripted going to be changed to "hurr durr geography what?" because the game cover displays a beautiful Shepard? I think not.

I have to go with the first one, because the second one is stupid. But the second does raise a point. The entire point of the vote was that they were choosing a character to put on the boxart. Not because it's a beauty pageant, but because it's a representation of what the fans who voted thought looked the best as a character.
  • I'm with Neko on this one.
  • I think adding the "Fem" To Shepard's name, but not "Male" when he's portrayed as a male is sexist.

and that's why I don't like Mass Effect.
  • You can change. You can.
    Wait, I thought people said Male!Shep as well?

At least, I've seen it when I've talked about the game with other people.
  • Glaives are better.

Shepard's default is male. He's been featured on all the promotional material until now, and even now he's still on the standard box art. And when you get right down to it, he's the character who most players choose. 

So I don't need to specify Shepard as male.

• >Hatter and Politics.

Ok, I'll get my coat >_>
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    >Hatter

Ok, I'll get my politics <_>

<_>

< v >
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-08-13 09:57:26
    Thump
  • thank you for giving me nightmares Bob.
  • I think adding the "Fem" To Shepard's name, but not "Male" when he's portrayed as a male is sexist.

As far as  this one seen, people speak simply Shepard when they are not talking about anything specific to male and female version. When they are talking about specific version, they often do add Male!Shep or FemShep respectively.

Can't claim that it is universal, though.
  • Stopped reading once the article started ranting about it being a stupid beauty pageant.

It's an internet poll.

Get. The fuck. Over it.
  • I only remember seeing headshots of femshep so no I never noticed her lack of feminine figure.

Lack of feminine figure?  Sure she's not as Gag-Boobsy as they tend to go in a lot of games, but that's about as curvy a suit as you can get without starting to get impractical.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    aeonflux.jpg