If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People claiming that Femshep's redesign is racist

edited 2011-08-12 18:12:04 in General
Glaives are better.
http://www.destructoid.com/why-the-mass-effect-3-femshep-vote-was-the-wrong-move-208186.phtml?s=0#co

mments

Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't realize that people finding a woman with blond hair and blue eyes was racist. Or that it was wrong to design multiple characters and let the fans choose.

Comments

• edited 2011-08-12 18:23:10

Actually, that article says that the redesign was sexist since it based the appearance of a female character on how attractive she was... or something.  I don't think that article is trying to say it's racist, or at least that's not the main point.  Apparently, though, other articles go for the racist angle anyway, so yeah.

Either way, it's really dumb, and the redesign was neither racist nor sexist.

• Why do people care what the official shephard of either gender looks like?
  • Because some people just really want to find something to get angry about.
  • Hatter there is only one sort of person who would deny that anything in this day and age isn't racist and that would be a RACIST!
  • As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    What really bothered me was that all the FemShep options had the same, bizarre face.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Who is FemShep?
  • Female Shepherd of Mass Effect.
    ohkay
  • Remember that controversy about Faith from Mirror's Edge photoshopped by a fan to have big breasts and a younger looking face? It's like that. The edited Faith was hotter, but DICE designed Faith as a 20-something athlete with small breasts and a lean build for a reason.
  • Jeez, some people just want to be pissed off for the sake of being pissed off, don't they? Also,

What really bothered me was that all the FemShep options had the same, bizarre face.
  • Glaives are better.

Am I the only one who noticed that Femshep's redesign has the same general build as male Shepard? Her shoulders are wider than her hips, her body is in a confident, aggressive, alpha male pose, and the only thing that tells you that she's a female below the neck is her boobplate, and even that is pretty diminished. She looks like a genetically modified super-soldier who can punch through tanks and take down machine-gods.

My only real complaint (aside from the boobplate) is that she's wearing makeup and her hair is long. I find it hard to believe that the first step every morning for a space marine is to put on makeup and style her hair.

• Could be permanent makeup and a wig.
  • Glaives are better.

1. I'm no expert, but I think that women like to change makeup to suit certain circumstances, if what I've learned from the women in my basement is any indication.

2. Why would a genetically modified, cybernetically augmented super soldier who hangs around aliens all day care that she had no hair? And why would she negate the combat advantage of having no hair by wearing a wig?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Long hair isn't that big a deal. Just tie it back.

Besides, long hair can be badass.
  • 1. Perhaps she's afraid of change.

2. If it's not a wig, it probably wouldn't take her too long to brush through it really quickly.
  • Glaives are better.

I'm not denying that long hair can be awesome. Aragorn and Buffy both had long hair, and they were badasses.

But Shepard is a military woman. She isn't a ranger or a college student.

or reasonably attractive
  • Hatter has a point though he's generalizing females a bit in the first statment. the seocnd make sa lot of sense.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Short hair isn't always a military aspect. The Spartans, for instance, had long hair. The ancient Germanics were quite fond of it, too. The Celts didn't shy away from it, either.

Some of the most monumental badasses in meatspace history have been military longhairs.
  • you have a point too Alex.
  • Glaives are better.
    My second point holds true for the first as well. Why would a soldier who spends all her time around aliens care about makeup? She kills things. That's her job. I understand that everyone, male and female, wants to make themselves look good on some level, but a woman who wades through guts every day and then goes home to hang with her bird-lizard/fish-lizard boyfriend isn't going to be the most feminine-looking person in the world.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Didn't know people cared so much about box-art...
  • People care about anything that gives them an excuse to rage.
  • Glaives are better.
    People care about appearances.
    I care about box art.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    But basically this:

I honestly don't see the problem with asking fans which FemShep they'd like to see in marketing. It's going to result in more copies sold, which means more and better games in the future. Would it have been better if they would've chosen that specific FemShep without asking the fan-bases' opinion? 

And the best part is that your character doesn't have to look like her. 

I honestly don't understand what the problem is. Is it that we got to vote on it? Is it the selection that won the vote? Is it jealousy over the stereotypical image of beauty in America? What is the problem here?
    Also, I like this comment:

This is a complaint that people were given a choice. I don't know what to say about that. 

But it's the internet, let's be outraged as much as possible.
  • The second picture on the OP's link is what my own Femshep looked like.  Wish that was one of the choices.
  • People these days don't seem to like choice I guess.
  • This onne could agree that letting fans decidehow a  female character should look based on beauty alone might have unfortunate implications...if not for one little "but"

Femshep is constructed at all because of her popularity with fans. She was  never going to appear in any official trailer, there  never was any recognised female Shepard.  So, dammit, the fact that she turned out to be  popular enough that devs were forced to acknowledge her is enough.

Besides, she looks badass. And if people point to the stereotype of damn blonde - well, shouldn't that be praised as going  against the  stereotype then? Its not like Shepard's characterisation is going to change - and  she  is smart confident badass.