If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

DC announced a Watchmen prequel

edited 2012-02-01 17:39:37 in General
You can change. You can.

I had a long Rorsharch snowclone about how "When the world got a Watchmen prequel written by Azzarello and all the normal people, fanboys and otherwise of the world screamed 'save us", I'd whisper, 'Nah, there's moolah to earn'" but I decided to instead post a link and may the rage and fire burn

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/02/01/dc-entertainment-officially-announces-%E2%80%9Cbefore-watchmen%E2%80%9D/

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

“It’s our responsibility as publishers to find new ways to keep all of our characters relevant,” said DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee.

But they are still relevant in that they're a chapter of past comic book history and the catalyst for the Dark Age

what is this i dont even

;-;

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

At first I was like:

Then I was like:

• Alan Moore would be spinning in his grave.

If he had one.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

D:<

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

> implying Alan Moore isn't a lich

Dude, I'm pretty sure Moore is digging a grave to spin in as we speak.

I mean there are no words for how dumb this is. Take a story that is perfect, self-contained, and puts responsibility of the reader...

and franchise it.

• edited 2012-02-01 17:55:02
    You can change. You can.

The worst part is who they picked to do the job. They decided to pick the guy who doesn't understand how to write superheroes and the guy who tends to glorify sociopathic pseudo-badasses like Rorsharch and the Comedian.

I can't talk about Wein or Cooke, but JMS and Azzarello got the most iconic characters and they're not exactly writers who're on par with Moore, let alone people who seem to understand how to write outside of their styles. 

But they are still relevant in that they're a chapter of past comic book history and the catalyst for the Dark Age

I wouldn't say Watchmen's as relevant to the superhero genre as it currently stands today. In fact, I think part of the reason people who don't normally enjoy superheroes like it so much is because it's so utterly different from what is written today for better or for worse.

• You can change. You can.

also, >Implying Alan Moore's not drawing an alchemy circle in his house in order to curse this production.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I wouldn't say Watchmen's as relevant to the superhero genre as it currently stands today.

I wouldn't say it's relevant to comic books as they stand today. It is relevant to how comic books used to be, though- it's a piece of history, if you would, a way that you can see how comic books changed over time and what influenced them to do so.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    54659%20-%20crying%20emotional_warfare%20pinkamena_diane_pie%20pinkie_pie.gif?1316289503

Well, yeah, but that's now what I would call relevant

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

As I understand it, Watchmen was to comic books as NGE was to anime.

but with less robots and hot chicks or something, i dunno

Well, yeah, but that's now what I would call relevant

i would

>As I understand it, Watchmen was to comic books as NGE was to anime.

but with less robots and hot chicks or something, i dunno

And Watchmen was actually good.

In any case, JMS is a terrible comic writer. Len Wein is pretty good. Never read any of Cook's stuff which makes me wonder why he was chosen. Azzarello is on-and-off. I really like his current Wonder Woman arc, but that's because it's not really a superhero comic and is more of a mobster comic with Greek Gods.

That being said, I can't see how this could be any good by any writer. Even Moore.

I would totally read a pirate comic though. Why is no one making pirate comics?

@Alex: Well, it was more like Twin Peaks to TV, but yeah, it applies. Basically, they were works that went beyond what was expected of the medium at the time and expanded on the concepts that were already presented beforehand in various influential works.

@Cygan: But relevant means current. How can something be relevant and not be connected to something current?

And Watchmen was actually good.

murderrageangerdestructionetc

@Cygan: But relevant means current. How can something be relevant and not be connected to something current?

No, being relevant means having significant meaning on the topic at hand. It's usually used to mean current, but it's not- the same way classical music is still relevant to music today.

But in the context DiDio and Lee were using, they were referring to the context of today comic books

yeah, but look at what they're doing to today comic books

fuck whatever they mean when they say stuff, i'm gonna pretend it means what it actually means so my brain doesn't hurt even more

• edited 2012-02-01 18:22:04

Nvm.

(To embed a Youtube video, you gotta copy-paste the URL in HTML mode)

yeah, but look at what they're doing to today comic books

what is that even supposed to mean

• edited 2012-02-01 18:27:19

GAH, I hate HTML.

they are doing things to comic books today that are dumb

Or, in other words, they're being idiots. They're messing around with a comic book that actually had impact and is still considered to be a great comic book, in order to what? They're not going to tell a new, more relevant tale with it; they're doing it for profit.

I consider this to be stupid.

• edited 2012-02-01 18:31:21

I think your definition of stupid and mine are different. I consider it greedy and artistically unfaithful, but not stupid.

In any case, there is a lot of good going on in comic books right now. The industry (writing wise anyways) is much better than it was a decade ago.

• ^^ FUCK YOU YOUTUBE QUIT NOT WORKING.

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised that this took 20 years. I mean, there is profit in continuing Watchmen's story, even if many people who actually understand anything about anything ever wouldn't buy it, most would want to read it out of either morbid curiosity or plain simple "Hey, I want more of this"

Also, you're taking a rather particular case and extrapolating it to the whole medium. Not to say that there haven't been any annoying updates of modern superhero mythos, but let's face it, The New 52, as much as I dislike it, was kind of a necessity with the way DC had been handling its universe and turned it into one of the biggest and most impossible to understand messes ever.

• edited 2012-02-01 18:38:31

Also, you're taking a rather particular case and extrapolating it to the whole medium.

what

but i'm only talking about this one case

i don't even know about any other cases of this