If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I wish all people who left on their cell phones during performances/movies/etc. got this treatment

Comments

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

^^^^^

The fuck is up with that Blissey. If anything, that Blissey set was the opposite of predictable

• a little muffled

I miss Pokémon battling.

• No rainbow star
    The fuck was with that Blissey?

...I still need to breed an Electrode for competitive battling
  • Has friends besides tanks now

"The fuck is up with that Blissey. If anything, that Blissey set was the opposite of predictable"

Indeed. It looked like a pretty terrible set, though, and the rest of them were (apparently; Faladran, being one of Smogon's team evaluators, knows the metagame way better than I do) predictable enough that he won pretty handily.

• No rainbow star
    I still remember catching people off guard with my thieftrode

Especially when I stole a focus sash from a lead Aerodactyl, surviving its earthquake. It was pretty much an oh crap moment
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Aerodactyl can use earthquake?  wut

...seriously, is there a tournament format that's "naturally-learned moves only"?

• edited 2012-01-27 07:15:22
    Has friends besides tanks now

"...seriously, is there a tournament format that's "naturally-learned moves only"?"

Thankfully, no. Or at least, not a widely-acknowledged one. I think that sort of format would be much less interesting, personally.

• edited 2012-01-27 09:49:01
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...that would be the only format I'd be willing to compete in.

Then again, I haven't played anything past 2nd gen.  I'm still stingy about TM usage.  And I also don't know the metagame at all lol.

Mostly, though, I'm actually just curious how the mons would stack up against each other tier-wise if you optimally picked only naturally-learned moves.  (Smeargle would be allowed to learn almost any move, of course.)  The movesets you see on places like Smogon University are often very similar and all revolve around a relatively small pool of moves that are considered top-tier.  What if you limited people to other moves, or forced them to use signature moves, for example?

• edited 2012-01-27 10:52:22

"What if you limited people to other moves, or forced them to use signature moves, for example?"

Then there would be even less variety, and Pokemon would be even more predictable. There are plenty of Pokemon with a variety of build options, as is. Restricting them to non-TM/HM/Tutor/etc, moves would make them entirely predictable, not to mention work to the disadvantage of many who happen to have gimmicky natural movesets that don't actually mesh well with their stats.

I've seen plenty of OU pokemon discussed on Smogon with at least four or five movesets and item sets that were used effectively in competitive battling.

• No rainbow star
    ^^ You do realize that male Pokemon pass on their TM attacks to their offspring, right?

^ o

• a little muffled

I kinda want to get back into Pokémon battling now. But simulators intimidate me and my copy of Black is MIA. :/

• No rainbow star
    ^ What if we started a room for IJBM? Then we could just play casual?
    I'm down with that.
  • You can change. You can.

10 bucks say the room won't last more than a month, tops.

You're just trying to Jynx us cuz you hate Pokemon. :<
  • You can change. You can.

Well, I was thinking more of how every community effort has failed before even taking off, without taking into account Mumu.

But yeah, that helps, I admit. 

For what it's worth, I have an idea for a team to use, if we start a room on Pokemon Online. I just need to sort out movesets and items and stuff, but I have the basic strategy.

• No rainbow star
    I see Pokemon Online usurped Shoddy
  • a little muffled

Well, Shoddy only has gen 4 as far as I know? Pokémon Online has all generations except the first, and more importantly has gen 5, so obviously it'd be the most popular one now.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Wait, how do they not have Pokemon like Vaporeon and Charizard?
  • edited 2012-01-28 14:58:56

It has all the Pokemon, as far as I can tell, and certainly it has Generation I Pokemon. I'm not sure what Nyktos meant.

Although to be honest, Charizard isn't that useful in competitive play anymore, with its 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, so a fair number of people wouldn't miss it, I'd imagine.

• edited 2012-01-28 15:17:12
    a little muffled

It supports gen 2, 3, 4, and 5 as gameplay modes, I mean. Like, if you pick gen 3 you can't use gen 4 and 5 Pokémon or moves, the physical/special split goes back to the way it used to be, etc. I don't think anyone really plays gen 2 or 3, but gen 4 is still fairly popular. It would be a pretty bad simulator if it didn't have all Pokémon available.

Also, Stealth Rock is less ubiquitous in this generation than last and Charizard can now get Solar Power, so it's somewhat less useless than it used to be. (By which I mean, Belly Drum is not the only thing it can do.)

Anyway, I don't think we actually need our own room since the program supports directly challenging people. We can just play on the Smogon server or whatever. (I can't connect to the default server for some reason, so the Smogon server is what I've been playing on.)

In that case, Nyktos, wanna play a game or two?

• a little muffled

In ten minutes or so, sure.

So I'm guessing "it doesn't have gen 1" would mean that you can't go back to the days when ghost couldn't hit psychic and bug and poison were both super-effective against each other?

• a little muffled

That's what I meant, yes, but it turns out I was wrong on that. It does have gen 1; they just chose to implement Stadium rather than the Game Boy games.

Also, Everest, I'm ready now.

RBY Stadium rules are different from RBY rules; for example, sleep only lasts 1~4 turns rather than 2~5.

• a little muffled

I felt that that was implicit in what I said, but yes, that's what I mean. Pokémon Online has an option for Stadium rules rather than RBY rules, whereas the other generations are based on the handheld versions.

• No rainbow star
    I still remember the chaos that Gen 5 caused on Smogon