If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

If my child told me he or she was gay...

edited 2012-01-08 20:28:52 in Politics
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
My reaction would "Alright, child. You know I'll love you no matter what. Applebee's sound good for dinner?"

AND THAT WOULD BE THE FUCKING END OF IT.

I WOULDN'T TAKE HIM TO DANCING CLASSES UNLESS HE EXPRESSED INTEREST. I WOULDN'T WATCH GLEE WITH HER UNLESS SHE REALLY LIKED THE SHOW, AND I WOULDN'T FUCKING TREAT THEM LIKE A FASHION TOY.

TREATING GAY PEOPLE LIKE ACCESSORIES AND NOVELTIES IS ALSO DEHUMANIZING YOU PATRONIZING FUCKTARDS!

Comments

• If my child told me they were gay, I'd do what I do in practically every situation; rip the pish and then assure the person that I'm just kidding and I really don't care one way or another.
  • I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.
    I WOULDN'T WATCH GLEE WITH HER BECAUSE I AM A HUMAN BEING WITH EMPATHY FOR OTHER HUMAN BEINGS

FTFY
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    What inspired this?
  • edited 2012-01-08 20:45:18
    ^ I assume he has bad relatives with gay kids.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^Stupid people on tumblr.
  • I'd consider their homosexuality unfortunate for two reasons: significantly decreased chances of genetic grandchildren, and the shit they'd have to deal with from social conservatives. It would be a lie to say that it didn't matter to me, but I wouldn't love them any less. There'd be no reason for me to treat them any differently except to reassure them if they were feeling self-conscious about it, and those previously mentioned reasons aren't good enough to justify trying to change them.
  • They're somethin' else.
    THERE YOU GO, JOE SMITH! DUNK ON THOSE MOTHER FUCKAHS!
  • Eh, that kind of reaction is bad, but at least it's a step up from disowning them or sending them to a Christian camp for "curing".

We are not in a society where homosexuality is considered perfectly normal and un-noteworthy. We probably won't be for a while... especially when it comes to one's flesh and blood. This is basically the type of reaction you would expect from parents who go completely overboard in their approval of something related to their child... they can't see any other way to express themselves around their children.

Like I said, it's still bad. But not hardly the worst reaction a child could get.
  • There's also people who play up the fact that they're gay on their own because they see it as novel. If that's the case, I don't think it would count as dehumanizing for friends and family to play along if they were so inclined.
  • edited 2012-01-09 01:05:34
    That's because because society tells them it's not normal and that it's 'wrong'. As a result, a number of gay people act in defiance of normal ideas of wrongness by owning what's 'wrong' with them.

If you know a gay guy who likes Glee, there's nothing wrong with watching it with him or if your gay child wants to do ballet that's fine. What I have a problem with is imposing such things on them as a parent.

• edited 2012-01-09 01:24:31
    Pony Sleuth
    No, I don't think it's going to be just because they're trying to own that aspect because it's considered wrong or anything. There are plenty of cases of people who fulfill social stereotypes that aren't stigmatized. I don't think the frat boy that plays up his drunken rowdiness is doing it for counterculture reasons. Sometimes effemininity is just plain entertaining. That honey badger video is funny as shit.
  • edited 2012-01-09 01:27:47
    No, the Frat Boy does it because he thinks it will bring him acceptance. Two different ends of extremes. 

Which isn't to say there aren't people of either sides that aren't like that but it's worth noting that flamboyant gay men are only a big deal because they're made a big deal.
  • You're not implying drunken rowdiness isn't fun in it's own right?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    No. Just like I'm not implying basketball isn't fun in its own right but lots of people still try out for the team for acceptance
  • Okay, looks like I just guessed wrong what one of your pronouns referred to.
  • >Having children

There's your problem.

In all seriousness, a gay subculture can give a sense of shared identity/belonging/security, and bitching about camp and "gays shouldn't act so stereotypical" is from time to time used as a veil for homophobia. But meh, that digresses from the topic of parents treating their children as an excuse to engage in hobbies they otherwise don't have the courage to express interest in.
  • If my child told me he or she was gay I would wonder where the fuck a child came from, why they thought they were mine, why they were telling such personal things and what weapon would be best to use to bash a child's skull in.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    A mace.

Hit hard enough and there'll be nothing left to identify the little brat with.

Why am I such a terrible person.
  • Champion of the Whales
    Is it bad that I wouldn't give a reaction at all?

It would be like "Dad, I'm Gay" and I would be like "Okay then".
  • BobBob
    edited 2012-01-09 06:41:06
    That's better than "IMMA KILL YOU" or "OMG LET'S GO SHOPPING!"

Or bashing their skull in with a mace, but sometimes they just force your hand so that's understandable.
  • ...Why is this in politics?
  • Glaives are better.
    If I had a child, and that child turned out to be gay, I'd probably yell at them and call them a failure. Because odds are, he or she is single and is only just finding out, and I'll be damned if I'm going to have a forever alone virgin for a child. They should get off their lazy asses and get a partner or I'll disown them.
  • No rainbow star
    I'd reply with, "No worries, I'm bisexual"

Then send the secret camera footage of the horror slowly dawnibg upon their face to AFV 8D
  • You can change. You can.
    If my child told me he or she was gay I would wonder where the fuck a child came from, why they thought they were mine, why they were telling such personal things and what weapon would be best to use to bash a child's skull in.

the joke would have worked if you didn't have that there.

• edited 2012-01-09 09:28:48
    Belief
    @Hatter: Are you sure you don't want your child to take after you?

Juan, why you ninja me?
  • You can change. You can.
    Because I do things only to hurt you, darling.
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere
    I'd shrug and say, "OK."
  • Glaives are better.
    Because if my child is half the loser I am, I will have failed as a father and as a human being.
  • First of all.

>Implying you need to be in a relationship to not be a failure.

• edited 2012-01-09 12:14:27
    Diet NEET

>implying you are ever going find a damsel who wants to do the nasty with you, much less bare your spawn.

*/adv/-mode disengage*Are you seeing a therapist for your self-esteem issues?