If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This troper page

edited 2011-11-15 17:44:16 in Webspace
Dear god.

I would have posted this on the TVTropes forums for a fix-up, but despite how much it makes me want to back away from my keyboard, I don't see any site guidelines that it happens to violate.

So you get it instead.

You lucky, lucky people.

Comments

• edited 2011-11-15 17:53:19
    Holy crap. That's longer than the page for the Bible.
  • I get the sense that I know what I'm going to see before I click the link.
  • Poor guy, he's not that bad.
  • ^ But does anybody really need that long a troper page?
  • She gets the pills from her skills, and she gets her skills from the pills.
    That's pretty ridiculous, but I've seen worse.
  • They're somethin' else.
    I remember reading a troper page where the troper in question prided himself on being a male prostitute, and being romantically involved with another (female) hooker.

Back away slowly doesn't begin to describe it.
  • I don't see a problem...at least he poured his energy into his own page, because he had the sense to realize that it didn't belong all over the site.

That being said I find it funny that he put some things about himself in spoiler tags.
  • Meh, if he wants to amuse himself with an overly detailed page, let him.
  • You can change. You can.
    ^This.

We can still mock him, if he's really gonna give us the fodder, though.

Although bleh, seems unnecessary 
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Just as unnecessary as listing nearly every avatar that you have on your page. Which is exactly what I do. Simply because I can.

I'd say that the possession of a troper page in itself is unnecessary. So putting unnecessary stuff on it is actually pretty appropriate.
    I was saying that the mockery of the page was unnecessary, not its contents.
  • For all the self-aggrandizing nonsense, he seems to skimp on the typical offenses of adding BrilliantButLazy and DeadpanSnarker and suchlike.

• Not to poop on the party or anything, but is this not a potential form of drama importation?
    Only if Darkclaw ever finds out~

Or if this discussion passes the current stalemate at which it is.

Also, I should mention that we've had various threads dealing with various other forums and our mockery of it (Fark, I think, being one of the most recurrent)
  • edited 2011-11-16 08:32:23
    Well yes, that's why I said potential. And while I guess it's true that someone from Fark could find out about people on IJBM making fun of them and come over to start shit, I'd wager that someone from TV Tropes finding out about it is orders of magnitude more likely.

(edit: See - Rottweiler, Shichi, Antavisma... I'm sure there have been others.)
  • We have definitely talked about this guy and his troper page before. Hell, I first heard of him because we were talking about his troper page here!

He actually does seem pretty decent, I've seen him around the forums. I guess one's views on this all depend on how one thinks troper pages should be used, if at all...
    Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm entirely fond of him, but that's a matter to discuss for a day when I'm less grumpy and when we're badmouthing people behind their back is not bad
  • To me, it mostly seems like a resurrecting an old trend. I almost want to put on hipster glasses and say  "I was bashing embarrassingly long troper pages BEFORE it was cool"
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    >mfw

http://i.imgur.com/UxdAM.png">
  • Applying tropes to yourself always tends to make you sound like a self-aggrandizing prat, but there are lots of tropers who will never get this basic point. This page is just a particularly long example.

I got so sick of it I spent most of my troper page listing all the ways in which I am not a Badass, and part of the rest mocking Troper Tales.

• Good people don't end up here.
    Obvious solution: Let other people give you tropes.
  • edited 2011-11-16 17:32:47
    Loser
    captainbrass,

While I agree that applying tropes to yourself can make oneself seem pretty self-centered, I do not think it is all bad. I mean, I guess I feel like if you say that it is only okay for other people to give you tropes as Them suggested then people who are not particularly popular for whatever reason cannot really list tropes on their page. I suppose that is not really a huge loss or anything, but I prefer to be more inclusive about stuff like this.
  • ^^Cue circlejerk of people constantly editing each other's troper pages to living up their mundane existences, which will be even more insipid.
    No, actually, I think that would be less insipid.
    Not particularly so, but whatever, applying archetypes and character traits from fiction to a real person is bad and you should feel bad.
    You're just being a KnightInSourArmor.

:p
    :D
  • applying archetypes and character traits from fiction to a real person is bad and you should feel bad.

Have I ever told you you're awesome?