If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This troper page

2»

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Yes, probably. Can't keep track of all the fans these days. :p

thanks, though. :)
  • Good people don't end up here.
    I don't see why describing a person's character traits in terms of tropes is any worse than doing the same not in terms of tropes.

Expecting them to conform to them as archetypes would be stupid, of course, but that's not the same thing.
  • I'm not saying it's impossible to self-describe using tropes, but it is really difficult because they're based on larger-than-life characters and situations. Not many of us are larger than life.

Actually, I also agree having other people apply them to each others pages is possibly even worse because it favours the forum superstars and other people who tend to attract either flattery or hatred. I would say - put something else on your trope page. Say what works you like, say what you do, say what your favourite pizza topping is. Just don't claim to be a bloody Deadpan Snarker. 

I think my main problem with using tropes as descriptions is that many of them carry connotations that only work within a fictional environment.

Example: Deadpan Snarker, a perennial favorite of many comes with the implication that the person is funny due to association via trope pages. Whereas sarcastic only denotes a type of humor because...it's only that.

A least, that's my take on it.
  • The problem with this sort of behaviour is that it makes life into a simplified narrative, a miniature version of Hegelian idealism. And before you know it, bang, Baudrillard.

In all seriousness, there's indeed a wide gap between pimping your troper page and believing your life plays out like a movie narrative. A lot of it probably comes from bad experience with some former pimp-happy tropers(DarkLadyCelebrian springs to mind).

• edited 2011-11-23 09:17:51
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

• 90% of the tropes I list on my page are in-jokes, to be honest.

Nevertheless, there are a few I should probably trim. I haven't actually bothered to look at the list in quite a while, and a lot of it dates to when I was stupider.
    Honestly, part of my prooblem with Deadpan Snarker is that the word Snark should die in a fire.
    Charles Dodgson would like a word.
  • They're somethin' else.
    and replaced by?
    Well, when Caroll did it, it was supposed to be nonsense, so

and replaced by?

I'm fairly sure there are at least 10000 words more fit to sound like something that means "Sarcastic quip" than a word that sounds like something that freaking Pinky would say.
    ...I like the idea of hunting snarkers.
    true, I suppose.

Ah, Them, I think this is the beginning of a new friendship.
    :D

(I think the line is beautiful friendship, but, nitpicking.)
    It is indeed. but I'm not Rick Blaine, am I?
    I couldn't possibly speculate.
    Were I a non-lazy person I'd change my avatar to Rick Blaine.

So imagine I said that and came up with a very funny quip or something.
    I am shocked - shocked! - to see laziness taking place in this establishment.
    Your hammock, sir.
    Oh! Why, thank you.
  • edited 2011-11-16 18:49:50
    At first I was like "um, why am I reading this again?" and then I was like "WTF?", and then I was like "this is seriously So Bad Its Good".  XD
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    Looks to me like the overly pimping of Tropers pages is the replacement for Tropers Tales. It's only a matter of time before This Troper gets a hold of Troper pages. In fact, I think they have done that already.
  • Nah, massive troper page pimping has been going on for a long time. Several troper pages came up requiring a split due to size (over 400,000 characters long, which is a bit less than twice as long as the page mentioned in this thread) in the Big Page Lock project in 2010.