If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Angus Young Puts Van Halen In Their Place"

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    AC/DC having the gaul to call Van Halen of all people pop music... yeah, if you tried to play Eruption you'd slice your own fingers off you prick.
  • You can change. You can.
    >1980s
    >Using pop music as an insult

i seriously hope you guys didn't use to do this

The eighties were a dark time, man...
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:07:40
    You can change. You can.
    Also, I'd question the claim that Van halen is better than AC/DC.

At least, AC/DC can change singers without losing its charm.
    Van Halen can write songs that aren't exactly the same.
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:10:32
    Has friends besides tanks now
    ^^ What charm?

I'll hang back from a legitimate debate, though, since I find it difficult to measure the quality of bands on arguable points; my enjoyment of music comes purely  mostly from emotional response (and occasionally from instrumental mastery), and as such I can't quite justify it in objective terms.
    I seriously don't think AC/DC is a good band. People tell me it's Thunderstruck and not Highway to Hell that just played on the radio and I have to take their word for it.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    >AC/DC having the gaul to call Van Halen of all people pop music...
    http://i42.tinypic.com/b8tfgm.jpg">
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:13:50
    You can change. You can.
    have you ever listened to Gary Cherone

it's like all the life Van Halen has choked out of them and then turned into a zombie

a horrible zombie voiced by Gary Cherone

I seriously don't think AC/DC is a good band. People tell me it's Thunderstruck and not Highway to Hell that just played on the radio and I have to take their word for it.

Meh, I prefer the stuff that is...you know...good from them (Midnight Prowler, The Jack)

They're not ZOMG amazing. But Van Halen's overrated anyway.
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:13:07
    I wouldn't argue that Van Halen didn't have better periods under better vocalists; I'd argue that AC/DC was never good to begin with.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    tumblr_lhsnnp141G1qgex26o1_500.png
  • It needs to be settled with a decent mash-up of the two. Strangely, Youtube offers nothing this time.
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:21:15
    You can change. You can.
    I wouldn't argue that Van Halen didn't have better periods under better vocalists; I'd argue that AC/DC was never good to begin with.

welp

can't do much there, son

I'll just let Homer here speak for me

Thank you, Homer.

ETA: Anyway, all I'm saying is that I find the dismissal of a band with a catalogue that big frankly annoying. Not to mention that the whole "Dude...they're all the same songs" accusation barely holds any water when there are different songs you could try out.

Also, jusging a band based on their radio output? that's...guh
    ^^Best mash-up.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    @Forzare: I don't intend for this to be a heated, serious argument or anything despite making the mistake of saying "I'd argue".
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:21:59
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^ I just like posting that picture.

I don't even know how one defines objective musical quality like you would for a more narrative medium.

I like how AC/DC music sounds, so I like AC/DC music. I can't really point to why I like it or what's "good" about it. Same with Van Halen and just about every other band I like.
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:22:35
    You can change. You can.
    We're music fags

we're supposed to be like

hitting each other with guitars

I don't even know how one defines objective musical quality like you would for a more narrative medium.

Someone get Solstace in here.
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:24:02
    ^^ Exactly my thoughts. Hence why I don't want to get into an argument; I just don't think AC/DC has a good sound, but I think Van Halen at least has a few decent songs.

^ I'm a clarinetist, though. Do you really expect me to fight a guitar with a clarinet? . . . Hm. Maybe. Big weapon vs. quick weapon. Not like that's never been done before.
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:24:41
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^^You're totally allowed to. I make no judgment on intelligence because my mp3 player is filled to the brim with not cool music.

I just don't like AC/DC and I really really doubt that it's because I haven't listened to enough of them.

^Oh man, I used to play clarinet.... then I went to college.... and my sister broke it... >_>
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:24:42
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    This is why I try to avoid saying "X music is good" or "X music is bad." I dunno what makes good music, just what I like.
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:24:36
    $80+ per session
    There's got to be SOMETHING that's objective about music quality, right? :p
    Meh, my point is that calling a band with 18 albums out, almost all of them massively sold "bad" reeks of dismissal to me.

It's kinda like me saying that Metallica sucks because I heard all of the singles or something. 

Most of the songs that get turned into singles are not even necessarily indicative of a band's "quality" if that even can be defined, in my experience. 
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:27:03
    "This is why I try to avoid saying "X music is good" or "X music is bad." I dunno what makes good music, just what I like."

I occasionally make statements about bands as if they were objective, but I'd like to think people can tell that I just think it's my opinion.

"^Oh man, I used to play clarinet.... then I went to college.... and my sister broke it... >_>"

your sister is a horrible person, i hope you know that
    There's got to be SOMETHING that's objective about music quality, right? :p

Texture, compsition quality, complexity, both technical and musical, etc etc
  • $80+ per session
    Complexity isn't one, I think.
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:29:00
    Complexity isn't necessarily a measure of how "good" the music sounds, but it is often possible to tell when one instrumentalist/composer is more technically proficient than another.
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:30:18
    You can change. You can.
    Complexity is normally used. Otherwise, we'd never talk about musical virtuosos like Chopin or Segovia.

^Yup, pretty much. 

Also, you don't have to enjoy a Segovia piece to understand how complex and difficult to perform it is as well as how well-performed it is.
  • edited 2011-11-09 19:30:31
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^^^^I am aware. You have no idea.

^^^It is. The Clash might be good but they're objectively not very complex.

But the term 'three chords and the truth' exists for a reason.
  • ^xmany times

A strong contender, but nothing beats this.
  • $80+ per session
    Speaking of people like Chopin, there is a very well known classical song that I'm having trouble finding, and I can't look up lyrics, because yeah ;-;