If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Being bugged leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to Banishment: Malkavian and Star Wars

124»

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    I think you''re misunderstanding my point.

My point is simply that as it was, the obvious implication was that the rebels would win, and because the ending clearly maintains that these people are capable of taking the empire at its more powerful and win.

Of course, Lucas did intend a six part saga, so he didn't show the empire's fall and blah blah.

Why did he do that when he didn't know if the film would be succesful, that's a question that to this day boggles the mind.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I think  one thing that's been realized by history is Lucas has always been ambitious past what he can actually accomplish.
    anyway, i think the ending works perfectly, but that's because i like implicated implications that imply implications.

• I should not need an excuse to post this video.
    The Empire Strikes Back

Oh man oh man. Of all the Star Wars films, this one is the one that actually deserves all the obsession and accolades. Not because 'it's so dark, maaaaaan' but simply because this is the film that really makes it clear why people love the films so much. It expands the world, it gives the characters more depth and exploration, and everything in it has obvious consequences. 

In my review of A New Hope I explained my issue with Vader was that he felt more like a hound than a wolf. Here that isn't the case. Vader is calling the shots and shows why he's running things. They properly establish Vader as the #2 dog and properly setting up the Emperor as #1

The world also feels a lot bigger than it did in A New Hope and stays that way. Hoth, Dagobah, and especially Cloud City are given exploration that really makes the feel like they're a part of a larger universe, which leads to a much more exciting climax, and I'm sure nothing needs to be said about the reveal at the end of the film.

Like all the other Star Wars films, this movie is always going somewhere or doing something. One of the Family Guy parodies claims that the scene in the cave stops the movie in its tracks. For any other movie this might have a problem, but the breakneck speed at which Star Wars moves means this utter stop gives us a few minutes to breathe while the film regains its bearings. 

What also interesting is how much this movie is about failure. As I've stated before, Lucas fucking hates teenagers and Luke gets the brunt of it here. Luke screws up everything he sets out to do here, will not listen to anyone, is ridiculously impatient, and ends up screwing up so badly that he ends up losing his hand. It's a kick in the teeth like no other that really forces him to grow up and become a proper Jesus analogue. 

And of course, credit needs to be given to the Henson group for Yoda. While the CGI in the prequels was far from terrible, the puppet here is just utterly convincing. He really does look like an ancient gnarled-up alien. The same can be said for pretty much all the effects in this movie. There are some off things in the other films but here everything works. It completely functions on its spectacle level much better than many films decades later.

Honestly, I can't really find much wrong with this movie. I mean the acting is still a little canned but that's par for the course in Star Wars. Make no mistake, the first two Star Wars films are masterpieces.

As for Jedi, well that's a story for another day. 
    I thought about watching this a couple of days back, because i remember enjoying the hell out of it and stuff. Good to know I wasn't entirely wrong about it.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    My first Star Wars film was a rerun of the original trilogy, I watched and liked Phantom Menace and was meh on Attack of the Clones, but I'd lie if I didn't say that I loved Revenge.
    I think revenge is the only actually good movie in the OT. Menace was overwrought with a lot of plot shit that almost doesn't go anywhere, has a mostly unlikeablc character except for the jedis and sith and was just...ugh, too dull and stuff. i remember walking out of the theater when i watched it when i was five (Read: I bitched at my mom till she took me off)

as for Attack, I watched it on DVD and was meh on it, as you said. the battles were cool, but I didn't enjoy anything else.
  • > I was watching the Special Edition and you can whine about how Han Shot First or whatever, but this is Lucas' film and his version is the only one that matters, no matter how many T-shirts you buy that say otherwise.

I daresay though that just as Phantom Menace isn't anywhere near the offense to God people make it out to be Star Wars is indeed not the earthly manifestation of Christ.

>implying that we don't already know that Star Wars fans can be stupid

>implying that statements like "Greedo shooting first is boneheaded" or "The Phantom Menace is a bad film" don't have any objective basis whatsoever

>implying that being contrarian to dumb fan's opinions isn't fashionable at this point
    >implying that statements like "Greedo shooting first is boneheaded" or "The Phantom Menace is a bad film" don't have any objective basis whatsoever

they don't?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I was watching the Special Edition and you can whine about how Han Shot First or whatever, but this is Lucas' film and his version is the only one that matters

Didn't Lucas just change that because the MPAA ratings criteria changed?
  • edited 2011-12-11 13:27:06

^^^^

>implying there's an actual argument in there.

Though in all honesty, I still don't get the logic of changing the meaning of the Greedo scene if it was supposed to be a callback to the Tuco shooting in the bath scene in The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

New sensibilities. As simple as that.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Though you probably don't give a shit, I like Red Letter Media's review of the Anakin trilogy of films.