If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

DO THE IMPOSSIBLE

Comments

• 7 is different because the enemy they encounter just so happens to be weak against loud rock music.  The Sound Force is really a one time thing, and against anything other than the Protodeviln, they'd only really be there for moral support.
  • You can change. You can.
    It's because it focuses more on the characters than the robots themselves, and because there isn't "one robot to rule them all", the robots are very fragile and get damaged and destroyed far easier than your average super robot.

It may be just me, but I've found the Super Robot anime (NGE, TTGL, Rahxephon) I've watched to be very character driven
  • edited 2011-10-07 22:03:14

Hm... I liked Star Driver, though that wasn't so much because it was a super robot show as it was because it was actually a magical girl show that happened to feature mechas and had a boy instead of a girl and was also sparkly homoerotic Utena.  Actually, Utena was already sparkly homoerotic Utena.  Anyway, other than that though, super robot doesn't seem nearly as interesting a genre as real robot, but I guess maybe that's because I have very little exposure to either genre, and most of the mecha anime I've watched has been Gundam.

Incidentally, Star Driver was also a super robot show that was mostly character-driven.

I never watched a real robot anime beyond gundam wing.

and that is why i'll never watch a real robot show again.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > a mecha show
    > real robot

hahahaohwow.jpg
    well, glenn, i know fuck about this shit.

care to enlighten me
  • probably human
    I'm watching Mobile Suit Gundam right now.

My first Real Robot show, and it's pretty cool.
  • Ugh... What I meant was that the robot itself isn't what's powerful, hell, they're all mass produced so they're pretty much all the same.  It's the guys inside them that make all the difference.  That's what I meant by focusing on the characters but I'm so fucking ineloquent that I messed up and looked stupid. >.<  Ahem.

But it focuses more on ace pilots being the key to victory than, say, Spiral Energy Hax and the like.  Basically.
  • "Hm... I liked Star Driver, though that wasn't so much because it was a super robot show as it was because it was actually a magical girl show that happened to feature mechas and had a boy instead of a girl and was also sparkly homoerotic Utena"

....So you liked it because it had a Magical Boy?

Uh...
  • $80+ per session
    We still need a movie that fits the following categories.

*Live action
    *Giant Robot
    *Human pilot
    *Good
    *Western

Just because I really want to see it done. Not very many good western mecha things.
  • edited 2011-10-07 22:23:08

^^^^ Mobile Suit Gundam is awesome.  Of course, after watching that, you'll have to watch Zeta Gundam, which is probably a better show overall, though admittedly I thought it was somewhat less entertaining than Mobile Suit Gundam (though that's probably because I watched the movie version of the latter, which cut out all the filler).

^^ What's wrong with that?  If nothing else, it's somewhat interesting.  Though actually I just said that because even though I think it's similar to magical girl anime, the main character isn't, well, a girl, and so I figured I'd acknowledge that.

• Hell, even if you cut off the "human pilot" bit we still have nothing that fits.

...Ugh, Dark of the Moon, how you made me want to just end it all... >.<
  • "What's wrong with that?  If nothing else, it's somewhat interesting.  Though actually I just said that because even though I think it's similar to magical girl anime, the main character isn't, well, a girl, and so I figured I'd acknowledge that"

Well, it's wierd seeing you like something because it has a boy instead of a girl.
  • I also watched Tiger & Bunny because of ojisan moe, so... >.>
  • Kinsey was right, everyone really IS bisexual
  • $80+ per session
    Or maybe it's just interesting when certain gender roles are flipped?
  • Well, in Star Driver's case, it really wasn't a case of gender roles being flipped very much.  The main character's gender was the opposite of the main character's gender in Revolutionary Girl Utena, which Star Driver takes a lot of inspiration from/rips off, but Utena already was a case of flipping gender roles, so they just sort of... flipped them back to normal.  So it ultimately ends up being a story about a boy saving a girl and whatnot.  
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Keep in mind, I like Real Robot. I just think calling it 'real robot' is stupid.
  • Eh.  Lots of genre names are stupid.  RPGs don't necessarily involve any roleplaying, magical girl is an unnecessarily restrictive label (as it more or less requires that the main character be female even though this really won't generally matter enough to make a story a completely different genre), and there are surely plenty of other examples.  In any case, it's just what it's called (mostly because Real Robot anime is more realistic in comparison to Super Robot) and there's not much of a point in complaining about it.
  • edited 2011-10-07 23:48:56
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I'm pretty sure I've complained about RPGs without roleplaying before as well.

Malkavian: pedant extraordinaire.
  • To be honest, I'd be more likely to complain about RPGs with roleplaying, on the grounds that roleplaying in video games just isn't very fun... >.>
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    How do you define "roleplaying" and why don't you consider it fun?
  • "magical girl is an unnecessarily restrictive label (as it more or less requires that the main character be female even though this really won't generally matter enough to make a story a completely different genre)"

Magical Girls tend to be....ridiculously girly. Just look at Madoka. You can't take the designs of the main girls and transfer it to male designs.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^^Yeah, but they'd actually be roleplaying games.

Also, Persona is one of the few JRPGs with actual roleplaying in them and you liked those.
    Magical Girls tend to be....ridiculously girly. Just look at Madoka. You can't take the designs of the main girls and transfer it to male designs.

Art design barely tends to make or break a work's classification as part of X genre.
  • Malk: Yeah, but one of the defining traits of Magical Girls are their ridiculously girly outfits.
  • edited 2011-10-08 00:18:21
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    While that is the norm, there's no reason why you can't make a work in the genre without having it. Just like there are fantasy works that get along just fine without dragons, or without magic.
  • edited 2011-10-08 00:19:17

@INUH: "Roleplaying" as in making decisions in a game from the perspective of my character, rather than based on gameplay considerations.  I just don't really think this is as engaging or interesting as more game-mechanical playing.  While roleplaying stuff doesn't really tend to interfere with the actual gameplay of a game, it does occasionally interfere with the storytelling, which isn't really the most important element but it is something that's nice to have.  Dialogue choices tend to cause inconsistent characterization, and often games avoid giving the main character any characterization at all with the expectation that the player will sort of fill it in for them, but... I'm not particularly interested in that.  And anyway, mostly it's just that if I try to play a game as if I actually am the character I'm controlling, rather than just controlling them in a game, I tend to lose interest quickly.

The character designs aren't really an essential part of the genre though.  The genre has more to do with people with (usually secret) magic powers (which often come from a magical artifact of some sort) that use them to... accomplish some particular goal that is usually assigned to them by some otherworldly creature, plus there's some element of maintaining a normal life when not having to use their powers.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    DYRE, play Bastion. Its ending will change your mind.
    Malk: Yeah, but one of the defining traits of Magical Girls are their ridiculously girly outfits.

And one of the defining traits of westerns is horses. that doesn't stop No Country For Old Men from being one.