If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Dark Souls: Siegfried stops writing a journal like some bitchy teenager, the game is discussed.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Just did that. The cell was empty. WTF?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    THE PLOT THICKENS

My condolences, I guess? Perhaps it's because I'm in the Covenant of the White, which is your basic sort of knightly order it seems.
    Ah, that would make sense. I'm planning on going Princess's guard.
    Having chosen knight as a class, I was automatically put in the covenant, so it's all been pretty smooth sailing. The Princess' Guard sounds nice, though. Warping between bonfires? Sign me up.
    I think it also gives you extra Estus.
    That, too, although the benefits of that might be a little underwhelming if you've been diligent in your search for the proper upgrade items.
    Argh, when I got the first flask upgrade, I saw the description an used it immediately. It really should specify that you have to take it to someone.
    Yeah, I had done some exploration beforehand and already found the upgrader.
    I just got to the Capra Demon. That thing's evil.
    So are you going to keep updating this? I know you're a good deal farther than where you left off.
    Yeah, next update is after a defeat the toothy vagina dragon.
    So far, I'd have to call the Gaping Dragon the second-easiest boss in the game.

Killed me the first time since I wasn't properly prepared, but the second attempt was simple, albeit very long and drawn out.
    I fell off the stage, because I was trying to draw out a charge and didn't look where I was going. :C

The provided AI companions are pretty useless. I don't think they even did damage, just took its attention.
    I haven't used them at all.

That said, if there's a boss that's good to have distracted, the Gaping Dragon is it.
  • edited 2011-10-08 00:49:50
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    My younger brother reports that he was lucky enough to have two human PC companions, who were better damage-dealers but not quite as clever as he.

Now that I'm at 16 strength, I'm split between using the Drake sword for its special ability and its high core damage. The thing about a weapon like that is it provides a strong ranged option without removing my ability to defend myself in close combat.

EDIT: And my brother just ragequit in Blighttown. xD
    Much has happened.

The Gargoyles are slain. The good knight Solaire was once again there to help me, but he fell in battle after we dispatched the first Gargoyle. I fought the second one in single combat and triumphed with only sword and shield. It was a good victory. Atop the church was a bell. It had the same Mark I have upon my skin. I rang it, but nothing happened. I thought perhaps the curse was broken, but that was not to be the case.

A key I acquired earlier led me down, to a deeper part of the fortress. Ravenous, rotting dogs and more of undead warriors awaited me down there. They were faster and more skilled than the others, and I was ambushed numerous times. Irrelevant; ambushes are of limited use against a knight's plate armour.

I came to a large archway, and there were scrawlings on the wall. They were a warning againt some creature ahead, but also an advisory; it had a weakness to lightning. I applied some powders I had found on my journey to my sword, and it shimmered with thunder. I could barely hold it still. The daemon ahead was like a monstrous goat that walked on two legs, and it wielded crude but enourmous swords. Were that not enough, it also had undead hounds at its side. I made short work of the dogs and moved into combat with the daemon. It fell quickly, being no great adversary despite its size. On its belt was a key, which I took.

Before moving on, I decided to rest where the raven dropped me. My curiosity got the better of me while I was there, and I decided to explore the graveyard despite the warnings -- and despite its guardians. The skeletal warriors were tough, but not skilled enough to defeat me. For my trouble, I earned a mighty zweihander sword. A little crude in make, perhaps, but it has since seen the hammer of my favourite blacksmith.

The depths of the undead fortress went further than I could imagine. Underneath, there is a hive of disease and death populated by giant rats, cursed lizards and other adversaries beyond description. Worst of all were the huge butchers that knew ways past my shield, but despite their strength and resilience, I cut them down. It seemed as though there were no longer any adversaries that could best me.

In the depths, I fell after losing my footing and found myself at the bottom of a sewer waterfall. Waiting for me was a red phantom. It almost killed me, but it was a simple fighter. Eventually, I found my way back up some ways and located another of those ebony swords, which burst into light. I'm getting used to it.

After further exploration, I found myself on the wall of what seemed like underground battlements. They beg questioning; what sort of foes would justify the construction of such a castle? It seems as though I am asking too many questions without finding answers. I think I will stop asking questions.

The stone Solaire gave me burst into light again, but now it wasn't only Solaire at my side, but the golden knight Lautrec as well. If I could traverse this dungeon alone, three knights should be unstoppable, or so I thought. We were all to fall in battle very shortly, however.

What awaited us at the depths was the most terrible monster imaginable. It was a dragon, but its torso was a gross perversion of a woman's genitals with a vast array of protuding teeth. Solaire and Lautrec were defeated in combat, but I lost my footing and fell from another waterfall edge. This would not happen again. Finding myself at the last ebony sword once more, I felt hungry and remembered the Mark and its curse. So I focused, and strained my mind. The hunger was banished again, but the process was even harder than last time. I don't know how much longer I can do this.

My decision was to face the dragon once more, with greater care. For this purpose, I chose the zweihander, and summoned my knightly allies once more. Perhaps I overestimated them; I defeated the beast, but they were defeated themselves before I could accomplish that. Solaire and Lautrec keep a cool head, but they are not, perhaps, the most skilled combatants. I also have reservations about Lautrec's choice of armament, which consists of two concave swords, one in each hand. How on earth does one fight with those things?

I feel stronger, now. Much stronger. In my pack, a new key has appeared as if by some other's will. It has the word "Blighttown" etched into it. I suppose that is as good a destination as any. I will go to Blighttown.
  • edited 2011-10-08 13:49:07
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Ooh, you're almost caught up to me.

Though I've already gone into the forest and up to its first boss because I was looking for something to do other than fighting Queelag, who is not an easy boss.
  • edited 2011-10-09 00:21:19
    Dear bloody journal,
                                   Blighttown can rot.

Regards,
    Siegfried
    Heh.

Protip:The guys shooting the toxic darts? They don't respawn.
    My biggest issue is the regular sort of enemy that often attempts to jump on you. Thing is, my longsword +6 is kinda wimpy against them. I think it takes about 4 or 5 hits to take one down, but they're extremely mobile and the terrain is treacherous.
    Even with the Drake Sword, those guys take 4 hits.

They telegraph the jumping attack really far in advance. If they spread their arms, get out of the way.
    Or hit them, apparently. In any case, I merely dislike taking more than one on at a time.
    Oh, yeah, they suck in groups. Though that goes for most enemies.
  • edited 2011-10-09 01:43:16
    What kind of class/build are you running?

Currently, my knight is progressing on vitality/endurance/strength, but I'm sorely tempted to begin pumping points into faith for miracles and a good source of damage when I unlock divine weapons.
    My main file is a Wanderer with high endurance/dexterity. He's picked up some pyromancy and most recently, Sorcery.

Incidentally, while I was expecting Queelag's weakness to be sorcery, it turns out she just doesn't have any.
    Yeah, I picked up some pyromancy after freeing that guy from the depths, but I doubt it'll prove any benefit to me. Interesting option to have, mind.
    I haven't used it much, but it's been helpful on occasion.

Just beat Queelag. The sign before fighting her this time said "be wary of gorgeous view."

That's gotta be in the top 2-3 funniest ones I've seen.
    That's brilliant. xD
    Also, I'mma have a random bitch at a game mechanic.

That is, using a weapon in two hands is slower and more fatigue intensive than using them one-handed. Which makes no sense. I think it's telling that no-one uses them two-handed unless they must. From a game design point of view, making them less fatiguing and faster would ensure players would use that option more and make it more viable for general use. In addition, things get ridiculous for high-strength requirement weapons. For instance, my zweihander is of limited use because of how intensive it is on my fatigue bar, because I have to use it with two hands. I'd love to use it more often, but the trade-off in defense just isn't worth it.

To rectify this kind of thing, I'd also have weapon upgrades that increase the weapon's damage resistance when used to block. This would make for a pretty epic upgrade path and open up new ways to play.

But it's mostly because I'd like it to be viable to use longswords as they were intended; primarily as two-handed weapons.
    Yeah, I feel like the fact that they aren't as good as blocking is enough incentive to create a drawback to two-handing. The other stuff just makes it useless except against bosses with unblockable attacks or enemies that you just barely can't one-shot.

I'd be okay with upgrades improving blocks, but only if it didn't let anything get to 100%. That should be limited to shields.